Imagine earning half a million a week for kicking a ball

Day

That's what Messi is apparently on now for the next 4 years at Barca.

He can kick the ball well but half a million a week, must get to a point where you couldn't spend that kind of money even if you tried. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, David said:

That's what Messi is apparently on now for the next 4 years at Barca.

He can kick the ball well but half a million a week, must get to a point where you couldn't spend that kind of money even if you tried. 

More to the point, imagine paying £200k a week (40%) tax. 

Just now, TigerTedd said:

More to the point, imagine paying £200k a week (40%) tax. 

I think most Spanish contracts are still negotiated AFTER tax - Which if true is eye watering

Think that's why they have so many problems with 'tax evasion' - Most of the players aren't aware they have to pay tax and how to - Negotiated by their agents and none of them bother having a proper accountant

Think most clubs in this country take care of the tax arrangements for their players like any other company would do

I imagine @ramblur would have a better knowledge of it than me

Sith Happens
44 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think most Spanish contracts are still negotiated AFTER tax - Which if true is eye watering

Think that's why they have so many problems with 'tax evasion' - Most of the players aren't aware they have to pay tax and how to - Negotiated by their agents and none of them bother having a proper accountant

Think most clubs in this country take care of the tax arrangements for their players like any other company would do

If thats true which is hard to imagine, ignorance is no excuse for committing fraud. If anyone can afford. If some poor fella in Spain earning 20,000 euros a year 'couldnt be bothered to have a proper accountant' and didnt pay the tax he should i bet they would thrown the book at him harder than someone like messi. Hes a convicted criminal, if that had been most of us we would have been sacked by our employers.

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Yep,they'd all take care of payroll and PAYE.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

If thats true which is hard to imagine, ignorance is no excuse for committing fraud. If anyone can afford. If some poor fella in Spain earning 20,000 euros a year 'couldnt be bothered to have a proper accountant' and didnt pay the tax he should i bet they would thrown the book at him harder than someone like messi. Hes a convicted criminal, if that had been most of us we would have been sacked by our employers.

Messi was convicted of charges related to back in 2010 or something like that and on image rights only.

I'm not defending his actions, but I don't think it would warrant a sacking from Barcelona considering it has little to do with them.

Neymar's case on the other hand is more dodgy in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Yep,they'd all take care of payroll and PAYE.

You forget that they are on te payroll. God, i do a payroll each month of approximately £500 for my apprentice. Imagine doing barcelonas payroll. 

Still, it means they all just work for the man. I may earn considerably less than messi, but I am the man. I work for no one. So f**k you messi, say hi to your boss from me. 

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Messi was convicted of charges related to back in 2010 or something like that and on image rights only.

I'm not defending his actions, but I don't think it would warrant a sacking from Barcelona considering it has little to do with them.

Neymar's case on the other hand is more dodgy in my opinion.

I still think its a case of Barcelona turning a blind eye because of his value... Still think if man in street gets prison sentence for same crime there is a much bigger chance of him losing his job. Probably wouldn't get away with no actual time served either.

If it was a player barca wanted shot of they would sack him.

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

You forget that they are on te payroll. God, i do a payroll each month of approximately £500 for my apprentice. Imagine doing barcelonas payroll. 

Still, it means they all just work for the man. I may earn considerably less than messi, but I am the man. I work for no one. So f**k you messi, say hi to your boss from me. 

Obviously misread the question.The only reason I look at DCFC is that I find it interesting. Not overly (understatement) keen on tackling general questions!

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I still think its a case of Barcelona turning a blind eye because of his value... Still think if man in street gets prison sentence for same crime there is a much bigger chance of him losing his job. Probably wouldn't get away with no actual time served either.

How would Barcelona have known at the time? When it became public back in 2013 or whenever, Messi actually paid all of the tax money owed and more - doesn't excuse what he did but at least it compensates a little.

Spanish law allows for citizens to pay a fine and avoid prison if been given a sentence less than two years.

Messi got a sentence less than that, so he had no obligation to go to prison and the same applies for numerous other Spanish citizens. I don't think he got some kind of special treatment compared to other cases.

In fact, on the contrary they probably took advantage of his wealth by issuing a much larger fine than normal.

The fact it was all image rights related I highly doubt those that Barca want to offload even qualify for such earnings.

You certainly can't imagine Jeremy Mathieu for example being a frontman for Adidas!

At least he's the best in the world, arguably the best ever and doing it at the highest level of competition. 

Carlos Tevez on the other hand is getting paid around 600k a week and playing in the mickey mouse league in China. 

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Do you think they should have sacked him ?

Sith Happens
49 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

How would Barcelona have known at the time? When it became public back in 2013 or whenever, Messi actually paid all of the tax money owed and more - doesn't excuse what he did but at least it compensates a little.

Spanish law allows for citizens to pay a fine and avoid prison if been given a sentence less than two years.

Messi got a sentence less than that, so he had no obligation to go to prison and the same applies for numerous other Spanish citizens. I don't think he got some kind of special treatment compared to other cases.

In fact, on the contrary they probably took advantage of his wealth by issuing a much larger fine than normal.

The fact it was all image rights related I highly doubt those that Barca want to offload even qualify for such earnings.

You certainly can't imagine Jeremy Mathieu for example being a frontman for Adidas!

Yeah he did pay money back when caught, a drop in the ocean compared with his wealth, which makes the fact he did the crime even more bizarre. 

The normal man in the street wouldn't be able to use his wealth to influence the decision.

He got off lightly is what I am saying, to just be able to buy his way out of it is wrong. Maybe being sacked is overkill but you won't ever convince me no special treatment had been given. At least make him do community service if such a thing exists in Spain.

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Do you think they should have sacked him ?

Probably not, but I don't think he should be able to get away so lightly. At least make him serve some sort of punishment.

Archived