Am I the only person who dislikes all other sport?

Rample

Football is the weekday toast and jam as a sport really, but the following are like that Sunday morning fry up.

Cricket - a game of a far greater number of intracacies than football. Plus it's probably better for the spectator than football nowadays.

F1 - Just a bunch of rich kids driving around really and the politics can be so draining, but when it's good it is thrilling.

Boxing - I don't really follow, as it's pretty inaccessible without paying for it, but probably the ultimate athletes and the excitement and sense of occasion of a World Title Fight is almost unparallelled in sport.

Snooker - not really a sport but the talent is ridiculous.

I can watch the egg chasing and Wimbledon but would never seek them out to watch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Cricket - a game of a far greater number of intracacies than football. Plus it's probably better for the spectator than football nowadays.

Don't think I've ever seen anything that I disagree with more to be honest. I would rather wipe my arse with sandpaper for a year than watch a game of cricket.

23 hours ago, David said:

IMG_0161.JPG

Exactly. Can't do that at the football because some nobber with a ten quid hot dog and coke and a £50 polyester shirt on will be barging past you trying to get to their seat so they can shout stuff at boys with tattoos in shorts.

Sleep, sarnies, several cans, pork pies, cake... perfect spectator sport as I said.

• 2 weeks later...
PistoldPete2
On 29 July 2017 at 22:07, David said:

IMG_0161.JPG

Exactly.. You can drink too much and sleep it off , and watch some cricket too, what more can you ask for? 

On 4.7.2017 at 10:22, Rample said:

Not looking to bash anyone for their passions, but intrigued if there are many more out there to whom football is the only sport.

As a child it was the only one I was interested in playing (hated when my friends switched to cricket over summer) and as an adult it's the only one I watch.

I have tried most other sports at one time or another but nothing else interests me at all, This post is kind of sparked off by the fact I pretty much need to hibernate for 2 weeks every year to avoid Wimbledon, which follows on from not being interested in last year's olympics to the point where it got annoying.

i like a lot of of other sport, and id like it even more, if we as a nation could actually get interested in other sports beyond football. Part of the problem is how long the football season lasts, 10.5 months out of 12, and even more if you count the euros or world cups. Every other sport has a proper off season allowing athletes and fans to recover. I like those summer months with no football when other sports get a look in, just which it was longer!!!!

It always seems to me in USA people like sports or they dont.... but to start saying they only like one and not the others always seems unusual.

I've really lost interest in football and didn't renew my ST this season.

My first sport has been cycling since I started seriously at the age of 14, both in competition (many years ago) and purely for pleasure now.
I will watch anything on TV to do with cycling - road, track, cyclo-cross, mountain bikes etc.

18 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

I've really lost interest in football and didn't renew my ST this season.

My first sport has been cycling since I started seriously at the age of 14, both in competition (many years ago) and purely for pleasure now.
I will watch anything on TV to do with cycling - road, track, cyclo-cross, mountain bikes etc.

You've lost interest in football, yet can watch blokes on bikes going round and round? I'm sorry but even Paul Clement's idea of "attacking football" holds more appeal to me :ph34r:

Confession time...I actually shed a tear when the 4x100m boys came home for gold the other week. Chuffed to bits as a proud Brit.

I don't follow any other sports with anything like the intensity as football, certainly not at club level, but I can happily watch England rugby union, and world class athletics.

Oddly, you could put the World Cup final on free entry on Alvo Park and if England weren't in it I wouldn't be bothered to turn out. Not interested in football if it isn't Derby.

Doh...nearly forgot, England test cricket. When I retire, that's my summer sorted.

19 minutes ago, needles said:

Confession time...I actually shed a tear when the 4x100m boys came home for gold the other week. Chuffed to bits as a proud Brit.

There's something special when a UK athlete wins a medal.

They all seem to  love the sport and most will have made so many sacrifices to get to where they are.

Money doesn't seem to be a motivator. 

Listening to some experts, they succeed in spite of the facilities across the country, bar Loughborough. 

16 hours ago, richinspain said:

You've lost interest in football, yet can watch blokes on bikes going round and round? I'm sorry but even Paul Clement's idea of "attacking football" holds more appeal to me :ph34r:

It's not so much the sport of football, just all the crap that goes with it - players falling over at the slightest touch, time wasting, moaning at ref's, fouls given for the slightest contact, obscene wages and transfer fees.

And when you look at it, its still just 22 blokes kicking a bag of wind around a field.
A bit like a describing a relay as 4 blokes running and giving a stick to another runner.

Thankfully we all enjoy different things.

• 4 months later...
On 05/07/2017 at 12:59, Mr Tibbs said:

I was hooked after watching the 2005 Ashes

Watched every minute of this as I was in between jobs. 25 days and it went down to the last afternoon; how can that be boring! That said, I haven’t watched any cricket since because I have no interest in a tv subscription  

I grew up liking rugby as that was the only local team to watch, but I don’t like the modern game at all; the rule changes have ruined it for me. 

I can watch snooker in the same way that I can fall asleep with my eyes open, but I wouldn’t call myself a fan. 

In five years, or whatever, on this forum, this is the first time I’ve opened this section and this is the only thread I felt like commenting on, so that probably says it all. 

Nothing else has the tribalism of football and that’s why other sports don’t interest me. I just don’t care who wins, so what’s the point?

• 7 months later...

I used to love Rugby, Motor racing, Cricket and athletics, particularly distance running. Now though I seem to have switched off to most other sports with occasional bouts of interest in the olympics track events. 

I cant really explain why. The motor racing stopped being raw .. it’s become a morass of regulations and off track technology all to try and create a spectacle. It’s failed for me .. it’s just a show with managed content. When I was a very young lad I went to the Oulton Park gold cup and none championship F1 event. You could wander through the paddock past all the teams without a barrier in sight with the cars parked on tufts of grass and gravel. I was plonked on the back tyre of Jackie Stewart’s BRM while my Dad had a few words with the great JYS about tyre compounds or something that a 5 year old knew nothing about. 

Archived