Am I the only person who dislikes all other sport?

Rample

Not looking to bash anyone for their passions, but intrigued if there are many more out there to whom football is the only sport.

As a child it was the only one I was interested in playing (hated when my friends switched to cricket over summer) and as an adult it's the only one I watch.

I have tried most other sports at one time or another but nothing else interests me at all, This post is kind of sparked off by the fact I pretty much need to hibernate for 2 weeks every year to avoid Wimbledon, which follows on from not being interested in last year's olympics to the point where it got annoying.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Rample said:

Not looking to bash anyone for their passions, but intrigued if there are many more out there to whom football is the only sport.

As a child it was the only one I was interested in playing (hated when my friends switched to cricket over summer) and as an adult it's the only one I watch.

I have tried most other sports at one time or another but nothing else interests me at all, This post is kind of sparked off by the fact I pretty much need to hibernate for 2 weeks every year to avoid Wimbledon, which follows on from not being interested in last year's olympics to the point where it got annoying.

I'd struggle to find another traditionally British sport to get really interested in if football didn't exist. I quite like cricket, but I'm rubbish at it and it's not the type of game where I can compensate for that lack of talent with effort and athleticism. I'm too small to chase eggs, but what put me off most about rugby was the culture around it. I don't want to play a game where people consider horrific injuries to be a great laugh, and where sticking things up your own or other people's arses is considered to be the height of comedic genius.

I would watch and participate in Gaelic sports, ice hockey, and maybe kabaddi if football was outlawed tomorrow.

18 hours ago, Rample said:

Me too.

just cannot understand the attraction of cricket, tennis, golf, athletics, olympics, boxing, wrestling, synchronised leg waving.....

even women's football is shiite.

Cricket to slow, matches spread over days. There's a reason why you will see people asleep in the stands, just an excuse to have a beer an afternoon nap out the house away from the wife.

Rugby just tedious, stop, start, stop, start. 5ft forward and it's time for a group hug again. Not athletes, just a bunch of overweight blokes that love a beer or two crashing into one another, no different to 3am down Grimsby town centre but without a ref getting in the way.

Both are against the same old countries all the time, imagine England football team playing the same 5 countries on repeat. Why don't more countries play? Better things to do that's why, even the Jamaicans chose bobsleigh over cricket.

Golf I can imagine is quite fun to play, to watch on TV is just painful. Always annoys me how they employ a peasant to carry their clubs. If you can't carry them all leave a few at home.

Cycling, probably the least skilful "sport" there is, get jacked up and ride a bike. Plenty of those around in Grimsby. Give them a bike that weighs an ounce and they would give that Wiggins a race.

The boat race, 2 boats of toffs, bravo chaps, jolly good rowing. Should split the South from the North, everyone outside the UK thinks we all talk like that. Embarrassing.

Darts, I won't even go there because it's a pub game. 

1 minute ago, Hucknall Ram said:

A lot of the time frustrating 

If they made the hole bigger it wouldn't be a skilful game anymore.

It is one sport I respect the skill involved, just doesn't make great watching. I guess you need the TV cameras there to prove how good you are, otherwise it would be like fishing, caught one this big mate <------------------->, nobody around to take a pic though

Im polar opposite... Love plenty of other sports all year around. However, slightly deviating from the original topic but still relevant ish...I dislike the " well I support ( insert...Derby, Man Utd, Sheff Wed, Wolves etc...) but I have a Scottish team...oh and I follow AC Milan, Real Madrid and Hamburg too...and my 2nd favourite International team is...."...MEH..... Soggy support.

P.S. Welcome to The Lions rugby thread anytime David!!:D

44 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

P.S. Welcome to The Lions rugby thread anytime David!!:D

I have become more tolerant in my older and wiser years to others tastes, so not to offend you egg ball fans I will leave you all to have fun.

Pro tip: If you want to call me names without me seeing, that's the thread to do it in

Football the obvious biggie for me, followed by Cricket, NFL and Boxing in that order. NFL might creep up as my interest is growing each year, just as it is in the UK as a whole. 

I can see why people don't like Cricket, it's slow going for the casual viewer. I was hooked after watching the 2005 Ashes in Blighty which literally captured every reason why I enjoy watching sports. 

Not really fussed about much else, Tennis I'll watch if it's Wimbledon, Murray or a decent semi/final. Golf only if it's The Ryder Cup, Rugby if it's England in a tournament and that's about it. I'll have a flick through Twitter to see if Hamilton has won in the F1 and keep an eye on other bit's and bobs but nothing too serious. 

I can get more interested in international games but maybe that's more of a patriotic thing. Rugby and cricket I'm ok with the internationals, especially the limited overs in cricket. Club level - no thanks. 

I can always find a reason why I don't like watching most sport.... 

anything involving horses, toffs abound so don't like that. The queen goes so need I say more. 

Cycling is a no because I hate cyclists on the roads. 

Motor sport, yawn! Might as well watch scalectic go round and round. 

Tennins arghhh! The grunting is too annoying. 

Track and field or gymnastics are just not watchable other than when you get to the business end of the olympics, then I might. 

Boxing is not sport, knocking seven bells out of each other and those awful strutting women. Nope. 

Wrestling isn't sport, it's theatre and play acting. 

8 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Boxing is not sport, knocking seven bells out of each other

Boxing is 100% a sport. The training you go through is insane, and it's far more tactical than you think at elite level.

It's not just a case of throwing random punches at each other. It's very much like chess at times as you try and break down your opponent. 

On 04/07/2017 at 09:22, Rample said:

Its not that i dislike other sports so much, its more that i'm not devastated or jubilant about the result.

I used to enjoy playing rugby, cricket and tennis for instance but not that bothered about watching it. I go swimming once or twice a week but would never go and watch it even though I got excited about Adam Peaty winning gold and smashing world records because i know him and his family.

I played football for 20 years and every single moment from marking the pitch out to arguing about throw ins was important....every detail of football matters, even now, a poor ref can ruin your weekend. Watching England lose on penalties in QF's or SF's drives you insane while seeing England winning the Rugby or Cricket World Cup equivalents makes me pleased for me mates who really care about it rather than any great pleasure personally.

The only time anything came close to football was watching Ovett and Coe back in the 80's really.

15 hours ago, David said:

Cricket to slow, matches spread over days. There's a reason why you will see people asleep in the stands, just an excuse to have a beer an afternoon nap out the house away from the wife.

Rugby just tedious, stop, start, stop, start. 5ft forward and it's time for a group hug again. Not athletes, just a bunch of overweight blokes that love a beer or two crashing into one another, no different to 3am down Grimsby town centre but without a ref getting in the way.

Both are against the same old countries all the time, imagine England football team playing the same 5 countries on repeat. Why don't more countries play? Better things to do that's why, even the Jamaicans chose bobsleigh over cricket.

Golf I can imagine is quite fun to play, to watch on TV is just painful. Always annoys me how they employ a peasant to carry their clubs. If you can't carry them all leave a few at home.

Cycling, probably the least skilful "sport" there is, get jacked up and ride a bike. Plenty of those around in Grimsby. Give them a bike that weighs an ounce and they would give that Wiggins a race.

The boat race, 2 boats of toffs, bravo chaps, jolly good rowing. Should split the South from the North, everyone outside the UK thinks we all talk like that. Embarrassing.

Darts, I won't even go there because it's a pub game. 

Jeez,you're lucky you didn't see it in the sixties,when I started watching.I could have nightmares about Bill Lawrie/Trevor Bailey/Boycott.Come to think of it,what the hell was I doing watching cricket in the sixties ? (Did have a beatle haircut though).

Not a great fan of rugby (possibly because it's one of the few sports I never played), but would watch any expansive stuff.The England that won the world cup bored me to death,but I can watch them nowadays.Watched my first womens' game earlier this year (Ireland v England) and was pleasantly surprised,and England were very good (rugby was pretty good too).

Will watch any racquet sport,because I played most of them.

Would encourage anyone who's never seen Gaelic Games to have a look -very fast/free flowing,often exciting,and loads of skill.I can remember George Best pouring scorn on Gaelic Football,because you can use your hands,until he tried it himself.........

Darts,I won't even go there full stop.

Archived