George Thomas - Signed for Leicester City

Carnero

Derby are the latest side said to be interested in Coventry youngster George Thomas.

It looks as if Derby County have now joined the ever growing list of clubs interested in signing Coventry City youngster George Thomas, reports the Leicester Mercury.

According to the Daily Mail, Leicester City have made a £450,000 bid for the forward, but they are not the only side linked with Thomas.

As well as the Rams, Burnley, Leeds United, Newcastle United, Swansea City and QPR are all understood to be keeping tabs on the 20-year-old.

Thomas is out of contract this summer, but because he is under the age of 24, Coventry are entitled to compensation from whichever club secures his signature.

Unless a fee is agreed between the two sides it will go to a tribunal where the attacker's valuation will be determined, which is why the Foxes have looked to avoid this with an offer to the Sky Blues.

However, with so much interest in Thomas - who scored nine goals in 36 appearances in all competitions last season - from elsewhere, it seems this saga could go on a little longer.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/03/report-derby-enter-race-for-league-2-starlet-wanted-by-leicester/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ColchesterRam said:

HITC. It must be true then.

They got it from here

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-transfer-rumours-500-000-move-for-wigston-lad/story-30419080-detail/story.html

Leicester City have made a £500,000 offer in their bid to sign young Coventry City starlet George Thomas, it is being reported.

The 20-year-old second striker or attacking midfielder is attracting plenty of interest with Swansea, Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley, Leeds and Derby all reportedly to be interested in his signature.

The Welsh under-20 international's contract with the Sky Blues expired on Friday, but because of his age and the amount of time he spent in the Coventry City academy, a total of 11 years, his club would be entitled to compensation.

Sky Sports are reporting that City have offered Coventry £500,000 to try to negotiate a settlement.

Leicester will have an advantage in trying to bring the youngster to the King Power Stadium as he was born in Leicester and still lives locally.

He is a former pupil of the Glenmere Primary School, in Wigston, and Beauchamp College, Oadby, but has been with the Coventry City academy since he was eight.

Coventry manager Mark Robins said has not given up hope of him staying with the Sky Blues. He said: "He's a great lad and I'd like him to sign.

"He's Coventry City through and through but he's at a crossroads in his career. I'm sure we'll find out in the coming days what will happen because there is some interest in him but he's a great lad and we'll just have to see what happens."

Thomas has scored nine goals in 53 appearances for Coventry, including what turned out to be the winner in their 2-1 win over Michael Appleton's Oxford in the final of the Checkatrade Trophy at Wembley Stadium in April.

He broke in to the first team in January 2014 as a 16-year-old playing the full 90 minutes in a 2-0 defeat at Leyton Orient. He was then in and out of the first team in the following two seasons and went on a loan spell at Yeovil last season.

But he played 36 times last season, scoring all his nine goals, for Coventry in all competitions. He was one of the few shining lights as they were relegated from League One.

Thomas has represented Wales at under-17 and under-19 levels and was in their under-20's side at the Toulon tournament in France last month.

Wales were unbeaten in their three group matches, drawing against France and Ivory Coast as well as beating Bahrain, with Thomas scoring both goals in a 2-2 draw with Ivory Coast.

2 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

Don't see much reliability in HITC. Wouldn't mind us going for him though. Not sure whether he'd get game time though.

HITC got it from Leicester Mercury, their version of the DET.

5 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

Don't see much reliability in HITC. Wouldn't mind us going for him though. Not sure whether he'd get game time though.

Anything from HITC which has 'report' at the front is just repeated news from elsewhere.

The ones to look out for by HITC are the ones which do not, and will be written by Graeme Bailey and John August - two journalists who work for Sky Sports and ESPN and generally have a number of contacts.

Of course they won't get every story bang on 100%. A lot of the time they're fed stories by agents just to drum up interest in a player so he can earn himself a new contract. Seen that numerous times before.

If you want reliable info, the BBC are pretty much the only one who covers solid news like when teams are in talks, players have agreed fees and signings are done. They don't bother with 'rumours'.

Anytime you see more than three clubs listed in the same article for a player you know it's just to drum up interest. Most of the time it's so outlets can include team links in order to get more views.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

If you want reliable info, the BBC are pretty much the only one who covers solid news like when teams are in talks, players have agreed fees and signings are done. They don't bother with 'rumours'.

Most of the time... I think even the BBC were taken in with the Ronaldo rumours. He's come out and said it was all fake (although he could be lying, of course).

5 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

What kind of forward is he?

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-reported-transfer-target-george-thomas-who-is-he-how-good-is-he/story-30419762-detail/story.html

Who is George Thomas?

Ironically, he was born in Leicester and still lives locally. He went to the Glenmere Primary School, in Wigston, and also the Beauchamp College, Oadby, so is Leicestershire through and through.

Although he played as a junior with Oadby Owls, he has spent all his young football career from the age of eight at the Coventry City academy. Fellow Coventry youngster, midfielder Ben Stevenson, was in the same Oadby Owls team and graduated through the academy with Thomas.

He made his debut aged just 16 against Leyton Orient back in 2014 and scored the decisive goal in the Checkatrade Trophy final victory at Wembley over Michael Appleton's Oxford.

Why is he so in demand?

Thomas is out of contract – it expired on Friday – and is a very promising young footballer. The Wales under-20 international was selected in the team of the tournament after impressing at Toulon last month, where Leicester's Harvey Barnes also shone.

Coventry would like to keep him. Manager Mark Robins said: "He's a great lad and I'd like him to sign. He's Coventry City through and through but he's at a crossroads in his career. I'm sure we'll find out in the coming days what will happen because there is some interest in him but he's a great lad and we'll just have to see what happens."

But, if as looks likely, he moves on then he is a cheap deal for any club because there would be no transfer fee, just compensation that would have to go to Coventry as he is an academy graduate. A total of around just £500,000.

So how good is he?

We asked the Coventry Telegraph's Mantej Mann to provide us with a scouting report. Here is what he said.

Touch

Thomas has a decent first touch and that was no more evident than with his stunning strike to double the Sky Blues' advantage at Wembley. The youngster killed a pinpoint cross with his right foot, before smashing home a low drive with the same boot. He displays a calmness on the ball, links up with his team-mates well and has the ability to beat a man and create space before firing a shot at goal.

Shooting

After ending the season as the club's top goalscorer, his shooting is clearly a strength. Clinical and decisive finishes towards the closing stages of the campaign against Bristol Rovers and Walsall showed his ability in front of goal. And, of course, his efforts against Wycombe in the semi and Oxford in the final of the Checkatrade Trophy were sweet strikes.

However he did spurn a few chances during the season, and he could work on his chance to goal ratio if he is to reach his potential. The one-on-one opportunity at Scunthorpe on the last day springs to mind, as he did brilliantly well to control a reverse ball, but once in that position he should have scored. Players higher up the league pyramid would have found the net in that situation and nine goals in 36 appearances shows there is still some work to do.

The forward is clearly much stronger on one side, as he bagged six goals with his right foot compared to two goals on his left and one with his head.

Passing

Thomas's link up play is very good and he often receives the ball with his back to play, before working it around the corners and then getting himself in at goal. He's capable of playing behind defenders and running on to through balls, as shown in the recent Toulon Tournament, but he is currently played on the right of a front three and his passing is as big an attribute as his finishing.

On occasions last season, Thomas would pick up the ball deep in his own half before launching long-range passes to switch play and put City on the front foot.

Awareness

His goal at Wembley and his first strike in Wales' draw with Ivory Coast in Toulon, shows his striker's instinct and awareness of where opposition defenders are while executing a move. Striker's come alive in the box, and eight of Thomas's goals last season came from inside the penalty area. That shows a great awareness and an ability to pop up in the right area at the right time, an attribute all great strikers possess. Of course, the only goal he scored outside of the box, was the strike at Wembley in front of over 43,000 City fans.

Work rate

Thomas' work rate is exceptional and one of the reasons he was consistently picked by Mark Robins was because of his ability to track back and defend as well as attack. His commitment and desire to win the ball for his team and get them moving forward was shown on more than one occasion, and is why the 20-year-old quickly became a fans' favourite at the Ricoh Arena.

The next level

George Thomas is developing into a good footballer, but there are some aspects of his game that need tightening up if he is to reach his potential. The one thing Thomas needs to achieve in order to move on to the next level, is to score on a more consistent basis and improve his goal to chance ratio. He has all the raw skills, and his temperament and attitude are commendable, but ultimately he will be rated on the number of goals he scores.

Coventry manager Mark Robins said has not given up hope of him staying with the Sky Blues. He said: "He's a great lad and I'd like him to sign.

"He's Coventry City through and through but he's at a crossroads in his career. I'm sure we'll find out in the coming days what will happen because there is some interest in him but he's a great lad and we'll just have to see what happens."

Leicester Mercury: 

Ironically, he was born in Leicester and still lives locally. He went to the Glenmere Primary School, in Wigston, and also the Beauchamp College, Oadby, so is Leicestershire through and through.

If we signed him I reckon he could become Derby through and through.

One thing I would like to say is this.

If we sign this lad I really don't want to be hearing about a 20 year old who is one for the future.

We need to see him playing or at least a constant member of the match day squad week in week out.

If he's good enough he's old enough. 

At his age he should be buzzing and desperate to get on the pitch to show the fans, team mates and manager he has what it takes.

9 goals isn't a great return but I qualify this by adding I'm not sure anyone could've made double figures for Coventry.

Very said to see what's happened to that club.

Best cup final ever...."HOUCHEN!!!!!!" 

1 minute ago, AmberRamber said:

One thing I would like to say is this.

If we sign this lad I really don't want to be hearing about a 20 year old who is one for the future.

We need to see him playing or at least a constant member of the match day squad week in week out.

If he's good enough he's old enough. 

At his age he should be buzzing and desperate to get on the pitch to show the fans, team mates and manager he has what it takes.

9 goals isn't a great return but I qualify this by adding I'm not sure anyone could've made double figures for Coventry.

Very said to see what's happened to that club.

Best cup final ever...."HOUCHEN!!!!!!" 

Totally agree mate. We need to be signing players that will be starting 11 or at least on the bench to develop them. 

Reading trough the articles I can see this happening. High work rate is always going to appeal to GR, and whilst he played mostly on the right of a front 3 last year, he also got time as striker and down the left, so effectively is an alternative to Watkins 

The thing is he's a year younger than Watkins, significantly cheaper, and has experience higher up the league, so could come in aswell as an Ince relacement.

I know other teams are interested but I'd expect him to get more opportunities here which may be appealing, plus he knows a few of our players already from last season.

But we do already have a surplus of bench warming wingers so unless we offload a few of them it's not a key position unless we see him as a long term option.

Archived