Jump to content
Kamikaze

Tour De France

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Gladys' Handbag said:

So after Aru's outrageous behaviour yesterday, a stain on the hallowed traditions of the world's greatest bike race, are you still happy to call Aru, "my man"!

Fair bit of criticism flew his way hasn't it, noticed the barb Thomas made about the race designers getting what they wanted; reading between the lines, seemed to me he was suggesting it was too dangerous?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Gladys' Handbag said:

So after Aru's outrageous behaviour yesterday, a stain on the hallowed traditions of the world's greatest bike race, are you still happy to call Aru, "my man"!

It's the Tour De France, it's most notable hallowed tradition is cheating.

Aru being unsportsmanlike (but not breaking any rules) can hardly damage the race's reputation any further.

It's a shame really, I used to really like it. Still, nice scenery.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Gladys' Handbag said:

So after Aru's outrageous behaviour yesterday, a stain on the hallowed traditions of the world's greatest bike race, are you still happy to call Aru, "my man"!

Absolutely! (And not just because of the potential money he'll bring me) I actually don't believe he did that much wrong... firstly I find it very suspicious Froome had a mechanical issue as the pivotal part of the race began (he's had these convenient 'issues' before when changing bikes) secondly as was said there is actually no written rule he broke by attacking, if this gentleman's agreement is the be all and end all, why did Froome not wait for Martin after he crashed with Porte? And most of all what Froome did in response to Aru when barging him into spectators and almost of the side of a mountain with an Elbow when he got back to the group was WAY worse in my opinion and something for which Peter Sagan got ejected out of the Tour for earlier!!!

 

So yeah he's still my man and I hope he smashes Froome in the mountains to come ? the drama is set to continue that's for sure!

Share this post


Link to post

Well sure Aru's behaviour was questionable, still so were Froomey's mechanical problems - and Froome's elbow was just bad sportmanship.. Sky, Movistar etc. all did the same during the last years and GT's in similiar situations - just not as obviously as Aru. So whatever.

Looking forward to the Pyrenees and Alps, I expect a good battle between Aru and Froome (and Bardet, Fuglsang and Martin).

Still feeling sorry for Thomas though.. First Giro injury and now again. Needs change in my opinion anyway.. (like Porte did) Potential to win a GT. Not at Sky though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2017 at 02:59, Kamikaze said:

Absolutely! (And not just because of the potential money he'll bring me) I actually don't believe he did that much wrong... firstly I find it very suspicious Froome had a mechanical issue as the pivotal part of the race began (he's had these convenient 'issues' before when changing bikes) secondly as was said there is actually no written rule he broke by attacking, if this gentleman's agreement is the be all and end all, why did Froome not wait for Martin after he crashed with Porte? And most of all what Froome did in response to Aru when barging him into spectators and almost of the side of a mountain with an Elbow when he got back to the group was WAY worse in my opinion and something for which Peter Sagan got ejected out of the Tour for earlier!!!

 

So yeah he's still my man and I hope he smashes Froome in the mountains to come ? the drama is set to continue that's for sure!

Well I wasn't being entirely serious here, especially the bit about the hallowed traditions.
But surely the least the yellow jersey can expect is that everyone waits for him while he changes the battery for his motor.

Anyway back to the days when you would have been a laughing stock if you claimed someone had a hidden motor on his bike.
I see that the rider formerly known as Robert Millar is on the ITN commentary team for the next few days; should be interesting.
He won the King of the Mountains in 1984, but I will always remember him beating Delgardo on the Superbagneres stage finish in 1989.
Back then it was a real event for a Brit to win a stage of the TdF.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Football was always my game....but a dodgy knee has pushed me reluctantly towards cycling...but I kept fighting it. 

Then one day I picked up a book called The Secret Race written for Tyler Hamilton ..and it just changed my whole perception. I couldn't put it down and since then I read any cycling book I can.

Love TDF now I get the tactics.. the characters ..the pain.... I've started to cycle a bit too..so I downloaded Strava a couple of weeks ago and it's very motivating. 

Can't see beyond Froome now. But one slip on the mountains and there are few opportunities coming up. so he is going to struggle to gain the time back. But I fully expect him to just claw back any attacks and stay in yellow all the way to Paris.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Football was always my game....but a dodgy knee has pushed me reluctantly towards cycling...but I kept fighting it. 

Then one day I picked up a book called The Secret Race written for Tyler Hamilton ..and it just changed my whole perception. I couldn't put it down and since then I read any cycling book I can.

Love TDF now I get the tactics.. the characters ..the pain.... I've started to cycle a bit too..so I downloaded Strava a couple of weeks ago and it's very motivating. 

Can't see beyond Froome now. But one slip on the mountains and there are few opportunities coming up. so he is going to struggle to gain the time back. But I fully expect him to just claw back any attacks and stay in yellow all the way to Paris.

 

Absolutely fantastic book. I highy recommend it.. Really interesting. Learnt lots of things I didn't know before..

Hamilton is a legend anyway. I admired him during his active days, just remember Hamilton winning this stage years ago with his broken collarbone.

 

Good stage today. Kittel and Matthews in the breakway fighting for green..

And should be a great finish today.

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't see that coming...

Froome cracks a little, Aru in yellow Bardet and Uran within a minute and Barguil in polka dots. This race is going to get even more crazy now!

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Didn't see that coming...

Froome cracks a little, Aru in yellow Bardet and Uran within a minute and Barguil in polka dots. This race is going to get even more crazy now!

Am I right in believing Aru did a little tour of the camping site, and they waited for him to catch up? Can't take to the man.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

Am I right in believing Aru did a little tour of the camping site, and they waited for him to catch up? Can't take to the man.

Aru, Froome and Nieve all went off the road into spectators and their camper vans. Just a little detour, no harm done. Nobody tried to break away while they caught up, for whatever reason.

Don't see how that reflects badly on Aru. 

Share this post


Link to post

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.