The BBC

8 minutes ago, Gritters said:

They're only peoples opinions no one knows what we will be like after Brexit. I just don't think the BBC are helping matters. 

But why should the opinion of the bloke in the pub hold equal weight with the opinion of someone who studies market economies and their movements? Unfortunately the pro brexit folks are going into this based on pure optimism that it'll work out OK and are saying that white van man's opinion supports it.

Odds are Brexit will be a car crash. Longer term it might, possibly, be the right move. Nobody knows - but short term it's looking like a car crash and already pro brexiters are starting to line the blame up at the EUs door. Which is laughable, as they were promising it would be a success and the demise of Europe. The EU understandably is closing ranks and wants as much preservation of its ground as possible.

Sadly I foresee a lot of economic pain which will equate to a lot of jobs lost. I just hope it isn't mine, but I'm sure a lot of people will have their lives ripped apart. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

But why should the opinion of the bloke in the pub hold equal weight with the opinion of someone who studies market economies and their movements? Unfortunately the pro brexit folks are going into this based on pure optimism that it'll work out OK and are saying that white van man's opinion supports it.

Odds are Brexit will be a car crash. Longer term it might, possibly, be the right move. Nobody knows - but short term it's looking like a car crash and already pro brexiters are starting to line the blame up at the EUs door. Which is laughable, as they were promising it would be a success and the demise of Europe. The EU understandably is closing ranks and wants as much preservation of its ground as possible.

Sadly I foresee a lot of economic pain which will equate to a lot of jobs lost. I just hope it isn't mine, but I'm sure a lot of people will have their lives ripped apart. 

I agree :) I think short term things may be difficult and we are relying on which ever governments to get us back on track.

Nobody voted for job losses or economic pain. I have seen the uncontrolled influx of eastern europeans create big problems in places like mansfield and that may have influenced white van man.

No doubt somewhere in the future there will be a UKIEU party set up and we'll be back in there may be.

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I agree :) I think short term things may be difficult and we are relying on which ever governments to get us back on track.

Nobody voted for job losses or economic pain. I have seen the uncontrolled influx of eastern europeans create big problems in places like mansfield and that may have influenced white van man.

No doubt somewhere in the future there will be a UKIEU party set up and we'll be back in there may be.

Except all research on immigration from Eastern Europe has shown that its not causing problems, and the influx as you put it is controlled. 

If the UK ever return to the EU, it will be with a worse deal than they started with.

The thing is though that people did vote for job losses and economic pain, the problem is that with Brexit it was called "project fear" by those who wanted to put their head in the sand, and it seems nobody actually read May's plan for Britain. It was literally austerity and economic pain, that was their platform. 

To be honest, I just hope that the UK doesn't do as badly out of Brexit, but even the positive outlook on it is moderate damage to the economy. The great irony though is that the only way the UK has any hope of that is if they go for a "Norway solution", which would in effect mean that there is no changes to immigration from the EU. 

6 hours ago, YouRams said:

Couldn't agree more I refuse to watch it @Gritters. Did you see the news clip the BBC showed after the London attack where BBC and CNN staged a show of solidarity? If not google it, absolutely shocking. 

I googled " BBC CNN shoe of solidarity" but couldn't see owt. Have you got a link?

for me the BBC is by far the best source of independent analysis, they are so fair it is painful sometimes.  Problem is that if you don't agree they sound like they support the other point of view.  Dogma is the problem, I feel I can only make a rational judgement if I have the chance to hear the other point of view even if I don't agree with it.  Too many people appear to make their minds up and will then steadfastly defend that view and never entertain the idea that they may be at least partially wrong because it appears as weakness.  It is not a weakness it is a strength.  BBC gets it right (with a small r) far more than it gets it wrong

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

for me the BBC is by far the best source of independent analysis, they are so fair it is painful sometimes.  Problem is that if you don't agree they sound like they support the other point of view.  Dogma is the problem, I feel I can only make a rational judgement if I have the chance to hear the other point of view even if I don't agree with it.  Too many people appear to make their minds up and will then steadfastly defend that view and never entertain the idea that they may be at least partially wrong because it appears as weakness.  It is not a weakness it is a strength.  BBC gets it right (with a small r) far more than it gets it wrong

No chance left wing that isn't a decision it's an observation. Anti Brexit it's so obvious. 

4 hours ago, McRamFan said:

No it is not.  Both Scotland and Northern Island what to stay.  If the English where being patriotic, it would respect their decisions and break up the Union and let them remain, whilst England and Wales left.

Laws, well guess what the laws handed down by the EU are being made law after we leave, go research what thatcher tried to do regarding employment law and holidays.

Immigration, another twisted truth.  Go look at how many non EU migration we have and how poorly that is controlled.

Show me any shred of proof that the EU what to eradicate any of this?  First language of the EU....English.  Just more scaremongering.

So much denial of reality. 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

for me the BBC is by far the best source of independent analysis

I agree. But that isn't the be all and end all of the matter. Trying to find balance isn't the same as finding the truth and reporting the facts.

We still get facts, truth and other stuff that is unreported by the BBC from other outlets whether they be left or right wing. Merely using the BBC or mostly for your news is as bad in my view as just left wing or right wing outlets. Two is better than one and all three is the wholly trinity. 

But in order to access other sources you have to pay a license fee or potentially and often, face a stint in prison. 

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Except all research on immigration from Eastern Europe has shown that its not causing problems, and the influx as you put it is controlled. 

If the UK ever return to the EU, it will be with a worse deal than they started with.

The thing is though that people did vote for job losses and economic pain, the problem is that with Brexit it was called "project fear" by those who wanted to put their head in the sand, and it seems nobody actually read May's plan for Britain. It was literally austerity and economic pain, that was their platform. 

To be honest, I just hope that the UK doesn't do as badly out of Brexit, but even the positive outlook on it is moderate damage to the economy. The great irony though is that the only way the UK has any hope of that is if they go for a "Norway solution", which would in effect mean that there is no changes to immigration from the EU. 

It is causing problems. Even Comrade Corbyn can see it surpresses wages. Do big businesses want reports they fund and conduct saying mass immigration surpresses wages or do they want cheap labour? Do left wing politicians want reports that counter their ideology? 

Our football club uses demand based pricing. It's an easy example to use. 

I find the whole job losses arguement outrageous really. If anything it's job creation that would be hit. Let's just hypothetically say 500,000 less over a 5 year period when we leave. The painfully obvious solution is you decrease immigration. 

The economic analysis of Brexit was shocking. With everyday that passes that cliff edge get's pushed back. Most of our trade has nothing to do with the EU. Our exports to the EU are half what we import. We currently pay a membership fee that is higher than the cost of tarrifs if we don't agree a free trade deal in the short term. The common external tarrif inflates the prices of goods in the UK. Project fear was garbage and will soon be dead. 

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Where is this then? The strength of the pound that was highlighted as being overvalued by how much it has fallen. Completely regardless of Brexit.

The employment figures that are up? The demand in manufacturing that is up? Inwards investment that is increasing? GDP growth that keeps getting revised up?

Inflation? Take a look at other countries rates first. 

Once the Tories have finished with their pretence of scrutinizing Murdoch's complete takeover of Sky and a potential monopoly of the British news media. Then we can all look forward to as much right-wing dogma and rhetoric that our stomachs can take. People only have to look at America to see the biased propaganda put out by Fox News.

As for the BBC the right leaning section of our community would like nothing more than to see it closed down. They claim that the BBC as a left-wing bias as a reason to close it. In reality the right don't like any form of media, even an unbiased one that will not report on their right-wing mantra without also giving any opposing views.

14 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Where is this then? The strength of the pound that was highlighted as being overvalued by how much it has fallen. Completely regardless of Brexit.

The employment figures that are up? The demand in manufacturing that is up? Inwards investment that is increasing? GDP growth that keeps getting revised up?

Arè you guaranteeing success then?

I'll remind you - nothing has happened other than the initial discussions.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Spanish said:

The BBC has gone right off. Their News website is s**t, and the News on TV isnt as good as Sky, except for the adverts. 

39 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

With the exception of Estonia, Britain's inflation rate is now the highest in Europe. Your fault, Brexiter City fans - own it.

Quite frankly, this 'patriotic' talk is the kind of nonsense I expect to hear in Putin's Russia and Trump's America.

In any case, the most patriotic thing the BBC can do is hold MPs and the people in charge of Brexit to account, even if it means pissing off half the country. Questions should be asked throughout this process, because the public have a right to know. 

Archived