The BBC

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

You make some good points but I still stand by my claim that the BBC is left wing and anti Brexit. I have no problem bringing politicians to task and believe that they 'all' get away with far too much but the BBC seem to sweep any failings of Labour under the carpet or just don't report on them. Now you mentioned North Korea well I believe that the BBC are not showing the leader of the opposition in a bad light. Believe me this is just the start of a potential left wing dictatorship. You will thank me one day for standing up for your freedom. You watch.

The start of a left wing dictatorship? Sorry Gritters, but that is just bonkers. 

I'm also confused as to why you see Brexit as patriotic and therefore i presume anyone who voted to Remain or wants a soft Brexit to be unpatriotic.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sage said:

The start of a left wing dictatorship? Sorry Gritters, but that is just bonkers. 

I'm also confused as to why you see Brexit as patriotic and therefore i presume anyone who voted to Remain or wants a soft Brexit to be unpatriotic.

Yeah I may have got a bit carried away but never say never eh??

No I think Remain or Soft Brexit people are just as patriotic and there point of view may be that they see staying in the EU or having a close relationship is best for the country. 

My gripe is that the BBC report on anything to do with Brexit with a negative spin. I see this as unpatriotic scaremongering doom and gloom.

Of course it has it's bias. But it's still as neutral as anything else in the UK. I don't think it is intentional in the main though. Their presenters, producers, researchers, panelists and guests are overwhelmingly left wing and anti Brexit, yet they think they are balanced. The stuff they ignore when it comes to Brexit and Trump is unbelievable. 

The best way to spot their bias/lack of research and effort is to get clued up on the affairs of another nations political environment. The garbage of Trump is just a reality TV star turned president. Ignoring his life as a businessman. How he doesn't know what to do to create jobs or run a country or negotiate deals. Yet that is exactly what he keeps doing. Unemployment falling, deficit falling, trade deals altered in America's interest. 

The huge coverage about Russian influence yet still no facts of actual intervention and in recent weeks, now that narrative almost completely falling apart and yet the BBC is basically silent.

Then the 'Muslim' ban. The amount of coverage that got. Trump is mean, Trump is racist. What he is doing is illegal. Impeach, impeach. Yet here we are, the Supreme Court has upheld the act and basically silence from the BBC. 

At the end of the day I couldn't care. What I care about is the license. It has no place in society. It needs to end and be replaced by a subscription model. In doing so their revenue will fall considerably and they will have two choices. Take up that opportunity to be a global network which they have been flirting with or stop trying to be a network with an abundance of channels and programs when people are overwhelmed with choice. 

18 minutes ago, sage said:

If you don't understand why Brexit is patriotic and remaining in the EU or the still fake narrative of 'soft brexit' isn't patriotic then we are at a crossroad. 

"having or expressing devotion to and vigorous support for one's country."

Brexit is as patriotic as you can get. It's a belief in our identity as a nation. Us deciding our own laws, controlling immigration, negotiating trade deals. Having our own culture, own army, own language, own currency, own constitution, own flag and anthem. The EU's aim is to eradicate all of this. It's purpose is to take what it is to be a country and sand it down until what's left is a few symbols that have become meaningless. 

Love the Beeb, without it we wouldn't have, Only Fools and Horses, Doctor Who and Match of the Day, all British institutions of which we should be proud. That said it has got a bit shitty lately (and definitely leans to the left), but I'm happy to pay my licence fees 

1 hour ago, David said:

Of course everyone doesn't have to agree, but there is no conversation to be had when they are told to simply change the channel. 

I'm alright Jack, not very lefty that is it?

Yes there is, that throw away statement certainly gave it a kick up the ass. 

I'm neither right or left wing, pretty much centre, and take ideas and opinions from both sides. 

Anyway any blue blooded right winger knows exactly how to avoid paying a penny to the BBC. Printed for all to see in the tory bible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/tv/the-legal-way-to-avoid-paying-the-tv-licence-fee/

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

No chance of that but I want to try to keep to subject. It took me two seconds to find some anti Brexit scaremongering. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40461496

It depends on your point of view. Is it newsworthy that the ex chief of staff thinks that the minister for Brexit is hamstrung in negotiations on probably the most important political process in over a century? I would say so.

The BBC is only reporting the news. Trump is a big controversial piece of current affairs and it's only fair that it is put in the public eye. I don't remember a single opinion piece saying they support or oppose, there's just the perception of favourability on one side of the debate. As long as the favourability is on tge side of challenge I'll accept it.

It's good that a state owned media gets to challenge government. Otherwise it becomes the UK version of Pravda. 

46 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

If you don't understand why Brexit is patriotic and remaining in the EU or the still fake narrative of 'soft brexit' isn't patriotic then we are at a crossroad. 

"having or expressing devotion to and vigorous support for one's country."

Brexit is as patriotic as you can get. It's a belief in our identity as a nation. Us deciding our own laws, controlling immigration, negotiating trade deals. Having our own culture, own army, own language, own currency, own constitution, own flag and anthem. The EU's aim is to eradicate all of this. It's purpose is to take what it is to be a country and sand it down until what's left is a few symbols that have become meaningless. 

No it is not.  Both Scotland and Northern Island what to stay.  If the English where being patriotic, it would respect their decisions and break up the Union and let them remain, whilst England and Wales left.

Laws, well guess what the laws handed down by the EU are being made law after we leave, go research what thatcher tried to do regarding employment law and holidays.

Immigration, another twisted truth.  Go look at how many non EU migration we have and how poorly that is controlled.

Show me any shred of proof that the EU what to eradicate any of this?  First language of the EU....English.  Just more scaremongering.

31 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It depends on your point of view. Is it newsworthy that the ex chief of staff thinks that the minister for Brexit is hamstrung in negotiations on probably the most important political process in over a century? I would say so.

The BBC is only reporting the news. Trump is a big controversial piece of current affairs and it's only fair that it is put in the public eye. I don't remember a single opinion piece saying they support or oppose, there's just the perception of favourability on one side of the debate. As long as the favourability is on tge side of challenge I'll accept it.

It's good that a state owned media gets to challenge government. Otherwise it becomes the UK version of Pravda. 

A couple of other headlines within that link are Brexit as complicated as the moon landing & Britain and EU at odds over Citizens rights. Not exactly reassuring for the faint hearted. How about a headline Brexit could be complicated but Government strives to get us the best deal.

How about EU Europcrats hinder Citizens rights in Brexit talks.

That makes better reading. 

You're right about the national media being able to challenge the Government but why aren't they challenging the opposition too?? 

4 hours ago, Gritters said:

I am as patriotic as can be. Proud that Yogie Bear invented the TV when on holiday in Scotland and now 1.5 billion households worldwide have access to a TV.

Obviously what we put on TV is very important and it is widely believed the pinnacle of television broadcasting is the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation).

The thing is I am becoming increasingly concerned that this flagship of British entertainment is becoming very partial and is so left wing that it would not surprise me if they play 'The Red Flag' at the close rather than the National Anthem. 

There have been examples recently on the BBC where Victoria Derbyshire almost had a lynch mob in the studio questioning the housing minister Alok Sharma and Emily Maitlis more or less accuses Theresa May of personally saving £2 and installing the cladding at Grenfell Tower.

As for Brexit I have never seen such an anti patriotic TV station that takes every opportunity to paint doom and gloom and only report on scaremongering topics relating to the UK leaving the EU.

Now call me old fashioned but I thought the BBC is supposed to be impartial but all I am seeing is a left wing bias. Jumping on the Corbyn band waggon with the rest of the sheeple. 

No doubt Corbyn will have promised them all a juicy pay rise and amples of cash to waste should he get into power.

I am seriously thinking of making a formal complaint and taking this left wing tv station to task and refuse to pay my licence fee.

I personally would get more enjoyment watching the dot in the middle of the TV but no one puts that on anymore. 

The problem with the media is that most of it is so bought and paid for by Murdoch and friends that anything reaching something approaching even handed gets labelled as "left wing". The BBC still have their integrity, and if you need a safespace to hold right wing views, Murdoch offers you plenty of alternatives. 

For the record, the reason that the BBC seem to paint Brexit with a coat of doom and gloom is because that's what every neutral analysis has found. They're the ones not living in a fantasy land. Most of the UK has accepted it will happen, but that doesn't mean that it will go well. The UK is making itself a backwater in a way that scarcely thought possible a mere 5 years ago, but here we are now. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

The problem with the media is that most of it is so bought and paid for by Murdoch and friends that anything reaching something approaching even handed gets labelled as "left wing". The BBC still have their integrity, and if you need a safespace to hold right wing views, Murdoch offers you plenty of alternatives. 

For the record, the reason that the BBC seem to paint Brexit with a coat of doom and gloom is because that's what every neutral analysis has found. They're the ones not living in a fantasy land. Most of the UK has accepted it will happen, but that doesn't mean that it will go well. The UK is making itself a backwater in a way that scarcely thought possible a mere 5 years ago, but here we are now. 

You wait until the real Brexit negotiations start then you will see what a mean self centered bully the EU really is. This is what this country needs to stand up to.

6 minutes ago, Gritters said:

You wait until the real Brexit negotiations start then you will see what a mean self centered bully the EU really is. This is what this country needs to stand up to.

You mean the EU will want to get the best deal possible for them? The swines!

Honestly did you think it would be different?

Would you prefer the BBC headlines to read more like the Daily Express?

The beeb is a bit f****d really, cant win. Both sides accuse and its almost impossible for them to get it right. My personal feeling is that it leans more to the right, but then again I dont watch much of TV news.

5 minutes ago, Gritters said:

The UK got a special deal due to their position in the EU originally, got to opt out of whatever they please, and now on lies and at best undefined reasons (most of which have nothing to do with the EU, or Brexit won't be able to change) the UK wants out of an extremely complicated relationship that has taken several decades to build. Of course it's going to be messy from the EU side, they have no reason to bend over for the UK. I guarantee though that those who printed lies about "the positives" before will continue printing lies now, and particularly attack the EU for doing exactly what they should be right now, defending the EU. 

12 minutes ago, Gritters said:

How about a headline Brexit could be complicated but Government strives to get us the best deal.

How about EU Europcrats hinder Citizens rights in Brexit talks.

That makes better reading. 

Hmm...how would Pravda report it?

Just now, Shuff264 said:

The beeb is a bit f****d really, cant win. Both sides accuse and its almost impossible for them to get it right. My personal feeling is that it leans more to the right, but then again I dont watch much of TV news.

Like the ABC in Australia, the BBC has a slight rightwing lean to it since the rightwing government started squeezing and threatening funding cuts, but they're still close enough to centre to not really pick on that point as any significant bias. 

27 minutes ago, Gritters said:

May be I'm messing about with that but I think I have a piont.

If rather stick to facts such as what economists or business leaders think, and I'd prefer they focus on people with gravitas or weight of numbers. Government strives to be great for people is pure propaganda. Worthy of Pravda. Unfortunately the only people sure of the benefits of Brexit are fringe players or UKIP style single-issue groups. Very few economists give good news stories - that's why we're bored of experts, remember?

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

If rather stick to facts such as what economists or business leaders think, and I'd prefer they focus on people with gravitas or weight of numbers. Government strives to be great for people is pure propaganda. Worthy of Pravda. Unfortunately the only people sure of the benefits of Brexit are fringe players or UKIP style single-issue groups. Very few economists give good news stories - that's why we're bored of experts, remember?

They're only peoples opinions no one knows what we will be like after Brexit. I just don't think the BBC are helping matters. 

Archived