The BBC

I am as patriotic as can be. Proud that Yogie Bear invented the TV when on holiday in Scotland and now 1.5 billion households worldwide have access to a TV.

Obviously what we put on TV is very important and it is widely believed the pinnacle of television broadcasting is the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation).

The thing is I am becoming increasingly concerned that this flagship of British entertainment is becoming very partial and is so left wing that it would not surprise me if they play 'The Red Flag' at the close rather than the National Anthem. 

There have been examples recently on the BBC where Victoria Derbyshire almost had a lynch mob in the studio questioning the housing minister Alok Sharma and Emily Maitlis more or less accuses Theresa May of personally saving £2 and installing the cladding at Grenfell Tower.

As for Brexit I have never seen such an anti patriotic TV station that takes every opportunity to paint doom and gloom and only report on scaremongering topics relating to the UK leaving the EU.

Now call me old fashioned but I thought the BBC is supposed to be impartial but all I am seeing is a left wing bias. Jumping on the Corbyn band waggon with the rest of the sheeple. 

No doubt Corbyn will have promised them all a juicy pay rise and amples of cash to waste should he get into power.

I am seriously thinking of making a formal complaint and taking this left wing tv station to task and refuse to pay my licence fee.

I personally would get more enjoyment watching the dot in the middle of the TV but no one puts that on anymore. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't watch it. 

Don't watch any news or current affairs programmes that may have elements of criticism of the Government or Conservative Party.

North Korea don't have TV stations that show their leaders in a bad light, Russian journalists tend to die rather young if they criticise their President, would that be better?

Would you be complaining if it was a Labour government being asked to defend itself on the issues of the day?

BBC2 and BBC4 are great for history, nature, documentaries and drama without any screaming pinkos upsetting your blood pressure.

Watch the news on Channel 4, ITV or SKY and you'll find its all very similar.

Get on the Huhges thread and rant about giving away our best player in years instead mate!:D

13 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Don't watch it. 

Don't watch any news or current affairs programmes that may have elements of criticism of the Government or Conservative Party.

North Korea don't have TV stations that show their leaders in a bad light, Russian journalists tend to die rather young if they criticise their President, would that be better?

Would you be complaining if it was a Labour government being asked to defend itself on the issues of the day?

BBC2 and BBC4 are great for history, nature, documentaries and drama without any screaming pinkos upsetting your blood pressure.

Watch the news on Channel 4, ITV or SKY and you'll find its all very similar.

Get on the Huhges thread and rant about giving away our best player in years instead mate!:D

You make some good points but I still stand by my claim that the BBC is left wing and anti Brexit. I have no problem bringing politicians to task and believe that they 'all' get away with far too much but the BBC seem to sweep any failings of Labour under the carpet or just don't report on them. Now you mentioned North Korea well I believe that the BBC are not showing the leader of the opposition in a bad light. Believe me this is just the start of a potential left wing dictatorship. You will thank me one day for standing up for your freedom. You watch.

The issue of it being patently left wing and anti-Brexit is not an issue in itself, that view deserves an audience as much as any other. Gritters is right though, it should not be with a publically funded licence fee.

When "HYS" (Have Your Say) is opened up on articles you can see what the Beeb is doing is not being well-received from a quick scan of the top rated comments. It is undermining its own credibility as an impartial (and revered) broadcaster.  There was an article they ran with the other day where 76% of Brits now favoured (supposedly) leaving the EU and 48% (?) of Brits favoured more taxation in lieu of higher spending...the headline was something like "More Britons back higher taxes". Two observations here: "more", in this context, strongly implies a majority to me (particularly if you skim read articles or headlines as many of us do), and secondly it is telling the Brexit piece was left to the bottom of the article and not headlined in itself. I am sick and tired of reading spinned headlines from the BBC, I expect it at the Guardian and the Daily Mail, not a public broadcaster.

And on the tax issue, why would the Beeb not provide any context of the figure whatsoever... that 44% of Brits don't pay tax at all. An equivalent headline could have been "Everybody who doesn't pay tax believes everybody who does pay tax should pay more". The reality of that number is very, very few taxpayers (the squeezed middle in particular) believe in tax-and-spend with their own tax money. The difference between being a supervisor/manager paying tax and a worker paying none (and in receipt of tax credits and more HB etc.) is already so maginal that asking the middle to pay more seriously threatens social mobility.

7 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Simple, use your remote.

Does that mean we can save money each month if we no longer use BBC services?

You can cancel your Netflix subscription if you don't watch it, yet you can't cancel your TV licence which 90% of the money goes to the BBC. 

Don't like the content but still forced to pay for it. So wrong.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Does that mean we can save money each month if we no longer use BBC services?

You can cancel your Netflix subscription if you don't watch it, yet you can't cancel your TV licence which 90% of the money goes to the BBC. 

Don't like the content but still forced to pay for it. So wrong.

People don't like paying road tax, don't like paying VAT, don't like income tax, council tax, that's life tax, tax, tax then death and tax again!  If they scrapped the BBC and made it pay it's way with commercials, they would find away to get the money out of you another way, say a luxury tax on Apple products of 40%.

Find it hilarious the debate about the BBC..... get left wingers moaning about Government and right bias on one side......

And on the other side you get right wingers moaning that it's massive left wing bias.

Says to me that the BBC gets the balance just right.

Would gladly accept however like in US, to allow bias..... like Fox,CNN etc..... then you can choose which one your political views or beliefs will be. Then I'm sure you all will find something to mean about again. 

So left wing that Nigel Farage gets regular air time on question time to represent a political party with absolutely zero seats?

I find the concept hilarious. It's just butthurt right wingers who don't like the right wing government challenged. I hope one day to see the BBC challenging a Labour government in a similar fashion.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Would gladly accept however like in US, to allow bias..... like Fox,CNN etc..... then you can choose which one your political views or beliefs will be. Then I'm sure you all will find something to mean about again. 

Yeah, the promotion of fake news.  When I lived in the US of A, the one thing I stopped watching within days of being there was the 'news'.  I watched the BBC World Service (very wide ranging than domestic).

7 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

People don't like paying road tax, don't like paying VAT, don't like income tax, council tax, that's life tax, tax, tax then death and tax again!  If they scrapped the BBC and made it pay it's way with commercials, they would find away to get the money out of you another way, say a luxury tax on Apple products of 40%.

You pay road tax for the upkeep of the roads which you use to travel, you pay council tax to have your bins emptied, police, fire brigade. These are services that you either use or save lives which one day maybe yours. 

TV licence is a forced licence for services you may never use because you own a TV in your house that can accesss other live TV channels. 

Whilst it remains a forced licence, people will have a right to moan about the service they put out. Whilst you can't expect every programme to be tailored to your individual tastes, the news should be completely neutral. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

You pay road tax for the upkeep of the roads which you use to travel, you pay council tax to have your bins emptied, police, fire brigade. These are services that you either use or save lives which one day maybe yours. 

TV licence is a forced licence for services you may never use because you own a TV in your house that accesses other live TV channels.

Whilst it remains a forced licence, people will have a right to moan about the service they put out. Whilst you can't expect every programme to be tailored to your individual tastes, the news should be completely neutral. 

Not as simple as that. DVLA Road Tax and fuel duty both end up in the coffers of the Exchequer, along with your income tax and companies' corporation tax.  As can be seen, it is therefore very difficult to detail exactly how your road tax is spent, because it is divvied up in the same was as any other tax.

I might watch a programme on the BBC that I learn a technique that helps me save a life, because the government has cut local budgets that the ambulance takes 30 mins to get here and it's a 30 minute wait to get into A&E...Or I see a news item and I get reminded to check my smoke detectors...

Yes people can moan, after all it's a skill set everyone excels at.  However people can also praise all or parts of whatever is being moaned at, offer opinions and views, or does everyone have to agree?

17 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Find it hilarious the debate about the BBC..... get left wingers moaning about Government and right bias on one side......

And on the other side you get right wingers moaning that it's massive left wing bias.

Says to me that the BBC gets the balance just right.

This.

The Beeb is as impartial as it gets. People just get the knickers in a bunch when they begin to argue the opposite side's case. 

People should be more concerned about Murdoch trying to take over Sky. Although I don't think the British people are stupid enough to fall for some of the things Fox churns out. Saying that, there are still idiots out there buying the Sun...

3 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Yes people can moan, after all it's a skill set everyone excels at.  However people can also praise all or parts of whatever is being moaned at, offer opinions and views, or does everyone have to agree?

Of course everyone doesn't have to agree, but there is no conversation to be had when they are told to simply change the channel. 

I'm alright Jack, not very lefty that is it?

31 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

So left wing that Nigel Farage gets regular air time on question time to represent a political party with absolutely zero seats?

I find the concept hilarious. It's just butthurt right wingers who don't like the right wing government challenged. I hope one day to see the BBC challenging a Labour government in a similar fashion.

No chance of that but I want to try to keep to subject. It took me two seconds to find some anti Brexit scaremongering. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40461496

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

At least the BBC offer a little balance from the extreme right-wing propaganda that is the press.

I don't think anyone can defend any rubbish printed in newspapers.  I find them useful for the sport pages. They aren't that good for wiping your arse with though.

Archived