Forum Issues

David
Message added by David,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

On 13/04/2019 at 11:42, StivePesley said:

Well I don't have an Alexa - and I have the Google personalised ads stuff turned off. My point is that I have never searched or interacted online with anything to do with IVF - hence my question about how your ads worked. If it's just pure coincidence and I get served up any old random stuff then that's OK

Although I just searched and found this

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wjbzzy/your-phone-is-listening-and-its-not-paranoia

Phones definitely do listen to you, had it multiple times, particularly with Facebook ads.

Been reports of leaving your phone in front of foreign speaking videos will eventually start showing you foreign adverts.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Phones definitely do listen to you, had it multiple times, particularly with Facebook ads.

Been reports of leaving your phone in front of foreign speaking videos will eventually start showing you foreign adverts.

Why would Apple allow Facebook to use your phone microphones without permission to feed you ads? Makes no sense, Apple and Facebook are not friends, far from it.

If anything Apple are introducing more and more privacy features to block companies such as Facebook and Google from tracking you.

Android phones I could perhaps understand the conspiracy theory more as Google show ads, they have good reasons why they would be interested in what your interests are.

Still not sure I buy it though, would be suicide for them had it come out, which it would through disgruntled employees over the years.

I think the most likely scenario is companies ignoring your privacy settings through loopholes in their terms and conditions which nobody reads through the pages and pages of. 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Why would Apple allow Facebook to use your phone microphones without permission to feed you ads? Makes no sense, Apple and Facebook are not friends, far from it.

If anything Apple are introducing more and more privacy features to block companies such as Facebook and Google from tracking you.

Android phones I could perhaps understand the conspiracy theory more as Google show ads, they have good reasons why they would be interested in what your interests are.

Still not sure I buy it though, would be suicide for them had it come out, which it would through disgruntled employees over the years.

I think the most likely scenario is companies ignoring your privacy settings through loopholes in their terms and conditions which nobody reads through the pages and pages of. 

Happens on a weekly basis. I've had adverts for Vietnam holidays after chatting with someone about their backpacking plans in person, adverts for apple juice after ordering some at a cafe... and that's just two off the top of my head. Can get into who's allowing what and who's at fault or whatever you want, but both times it was that very same day after never even using my phone for either purpose.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Happens on a weekly basis. I've had adverts for Vietnam holidays after chatting with someone about their backpacking plans in person, adverts for apple juice after ordering some at a cafe... and that's just two off the top of my head. Can get into who's allowing what and who's at fault or whatever you want, but both times it was that very same day after never even using my phone for either purpose.

Vietnam one probably came from those adult sites you visit ?

Just now, mozza said:

I've been clicking on FRANK LAMPARDS DCFC FANS since xmas time update, never noticed the 'invisible' arrow till now, thought it was the norm..?

@Boycie was telling me Joiners would have been electricians had they possessed a brain, I thought he was being harsh at the time...

I went in Tesco's earlier today, the bill came to £18.10p i gave her a £20 note and 10p and went to walk out, assistant called me back to get £2 change, i said ''i thought i'd forgotten something , my brain".. 

For some reason my night theme turned itself off yesterday, I've turned it back on but now when I try to write a post the text is the same colour as the background (making it essentially invisible).  I had to turn night mode off to write this!

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

For some reason my night theme turned itself off yesterday, I've turned it back on but now when I try to write a post the text is the same colour as the background (making it essentially invisible).  I had to turn night mode off to write this!

Try clearing your cache, we have a new editor theme on there, you may have the old one stuck.

Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 10.03.15.png

Just now, ilkleyram said:

Have we gone blue again?

The blue theme has been replaced with a black and grey theme, if you’re seeing blue it’s time to throw your computer in the bin or try clearing your cache

1 minute ago, David said:

The blue theme has been replaced with a black and grey theme, if you’re seeing blue it’s time to throw your computer in the bin or try clearing your cache

I like the blue. And I can't afford another computer after renewing two season tickets