Forum Issues

Day
Message added by Day,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

1 hour ago, PrivateDerby said:

Aup have else's menu buttons on the top right disappeared? Can just about guess where they are and they still work! 

Thanks 

Nothing has changed, should still be there, are you on mobile or desktop?

1 hour ago, PrivateDerby said:

Strange! I'm on mobile mate. 

Try loading the site in a private/incognito window, if they load in that you will need to clear your cache.

The only other thing could be is if you’re using an adblocker, sometimes they can block the 3rd party icons we use.

5 hours ago, David said:

Try loading the site in a private/incognito window, if they load in that you will need to clear your cache.

The only other thing could be is if you’re using an adblocker, sometimes they can block the 3rd party icons we use.

Thanks it seems to have sorted itself out.

How do the ads work on mobile? Are they targeted somehow?

Currently getting repeated ads for IVF companies. This is something of no interest to me, but we do have a friend who has had multiple rounds of IVF. Crucially though, this is only something we have discussed out loud and never by email or WhatsApp. Not have I ever googled it. Is my phone listening to me?

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

How do the ads work on mobile? Are they targeted somehow?

Currently getting repeated ads for IVF companies. This is something of no interest to me, but we do have a friend who has had multiple rounds of IVF. Crucially though, this is only something we have discussed out loud and never by email or WhatsApp. Not have I ever googled it. Is my phone listening to me?

Your phone won’t be listening to you. Google does however use personalised ads which use your browser history, you can disable these. Below is a link with instructions on how to

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB

2 hours ago, David said:

Your phone won’t be listening to you. Google does however use personalised ads which use your browser history, you can disable these. Below is a link with instructions on how to

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB

Well I don't have an Alexa - and I have the Google personalised ads stuff turned off. My point is that I have never searched or interacted online with anything to do with IVF - hence my question about how your ads worked. If it's just pure coincidence and I get served up any old random stuff then that's OK

Although I just searched and found this

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wjbzzy/your-phone-is-listening-and-its-not-paranoia

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Well I don't have an Alexa - and I have the Google personalised ads stuff turned off. My point is that I have never searched or interacted online with anything to do with IVF - hence my question about how your ads worked. If it's just pure coincidence and I get served up any old random stuff then that's OK

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wjbzzy/your-phone-is-listening-and-its-not-paranoia

Mine just told me "how to escape all the jobs your wife finds for you at the weekend!", so mine's definitely listening ?

4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

As I say, I know Google use your browsing history, if you haven't searched anything then I would say it's a coincidence. I doubt your phone is listening to your conversations throughout the day to serve ads. 

Don't forget Google own a number of products such as Gmail, YouTube and Android operating system. Check your privacy settings in all of these.

TobyWanKenobi
1 hour ago, David said:

Yes.

Any particular reason? I found it useful to disagree with someone without actually starting an argument.

By the by, Bring back the facepalm. It would have proved useful for many of the pre-match predictions today.

5 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

Any particular reason? I found it useful to disagree with someone without actually starting an argument.

By the by, Bring back the facepalm. It would have proved useful for many of the pre-match predictions today.

I didn’t feel it was good for the community, it’s usage became a bit petty, tit for tat, created questions of why it was left which should never be the case with reactions.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

@David not sure if you know this but the homepage on my samsung doesn't have any links to the forums, just an advert. Took me a bit of messing around to get to the forum list, which I'll now make my bookmark.

Weird, can you upload a screenshot for me to look at?