Forum Issues

David
Message added by David,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm disappointed if people took it so seriously that it had to be shut down.

I think the thread where David explained the decision is gone too, but it was purely because it was too onerous to moderate as some people weren't sticking to the old rules (stay polite, no personal insults etc)

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Where does it end though. 

Both the Saturday 3-5pm TV football blackout, and safe standing, are political decisions, are they no longer up for discussion on a football forum?

Several people made the same point. Potentially any thread can get political. The difference now is that the mods can handle a few threads that go off piste and deal with the offenders on a comment by comment basis as per the new rules. When there were 10-15+ threads all on specifically political issues it was getting out of hand.

The most disappointing thing for me is that rather than a little self reflection on how members are using the forum and communicating with other members, some have decided to test us and see how far they can push the boundaries, look for loopholes as a new form of entertainment.

Having wrote a few lengthy posts on this, which are still on the forum within locked topics because members wanted to test us, I said that it maybe a rule we look to reverse if things settle down. 

All that has happened is some members showing us that they are not willing to use the forum under any guidelines we have in place,   which if it continues will removed, not something I want to do, nor was limiting topics of what can be discussed but we are being left with little options now. 

If you would like to open a topic but unsure if it would be allowed under the new rules drop a moderator online a Private Message, one is usually about and we will answer fairly quickly. 

All we want is a forum with a friendly atmosphere where members can be civil to one another even in disagreements. If you are ok with that work with us on this. 

@reveldevil to answer your question on Safe Standing and other football related issues, we would be fine with these being discussed on the forum.

18 hours ago, David said:

The most disappointing thing for me is that rather than a little self reflection on how members are using the forum and communicating with other members, some have decided to test us and see how far they can push the boundaries, look for loopholes as a new form of entertainment.

Having wrote a few lengthy posts on this, which are still on the forum within locked topics because members wanted to test us, I said that it maybe a rule we look to reverse if things settle down. 

All that has happened is some members showing us that they are not willing to use the forum under any guidelines we have in place,   which if it continues will removed, not something I want to do, nor was limiting topics of what can be discussed but we are being left with little options now. 

If you would like to open a topic but unsure if it would be allowed under the new rules drop a moderator online a Private Message, one is usually about and we will answer fairly quickly. 

All we want is a forum with a friendly atmosphere where members can be civil to one another even in disagreements. If you are ok with that work with us on this. 

@reveldevil to answer your question on Safe Standing and other football related issues, we would be fine with these being discussed on the forum.

How far can we go being rude about Forest fans? 

21 hours ago, David said:

All that has happened is some members showing us that they are not willing to use the forum under any guidelines we have in place,

Ban them. No if's, buts or maybe's.

If they cannot comply with the new guidlines, send them off the field of play, simples.  Especially if they are making such an effort to get round them.

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

I think it is the home page I have screen shot the error message in my post above. It seems to happen regularly but the last few times it has been ok.

Should be sorted now. When the server crashed it borked the cache files, as a quick fix I rebuilt the theme but forgot to disable the old one which was full of errors. Sorry about that!

How to deal with the splitting of the match thread into two? I think we need a protocol for this or else there's no meaning in beginning the threads. It has been custom and practice on practically every football forum since the web began that the thread starter stays on until the team loses.

@Derby bloodhad started threads leading to four wins in a row but @rynny took it away from him at 2pm, with zero acknowledgement or credit, so it became Rynny's game thread. I don't think that should be allowed to happen again. Some options are:

1. At a basic level, the teamsheet onwards thread could always quote the original match thread starter (but this still loses the official credit of the original poster)
  2. Better would be to organize a system where the post of the original thread starter also begins the teamsheet onwards thread. Surely that's not beyond the ken of the forum?
  3. Another method might be to pin the original post/thread in the same way we pin pre-match and post-match interviews.
  4. Or the link to the pre-match thread could be embedded at the beginning of the teamsheet thread (but again this still loses the official credit of the original poster, but is probably better than (1))

Many football fans have deep (of course irrational) superstitions and one of the most deep-rooted is about a lucky poster continuing the threads. Probably half the members don't think it matters, while the other half think it matters a lot. I'd say the forum should honour the tradition.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

How to deal with the splitting of the match thread into two? I think we need a protocol for this or else there's no meaning in beginning the threads. It has been custom and practice on practically every football forum since the web began that the thread starter stays on until the team loses.

@Derby bloodhad started threads leading to four wins in a row but @rynny took it away from him at 2pm, with zero acknowledgement or credit, so it became Rynny's game thread. I don't think that should be allowed to happen again. Some options are:

1. At a basic level, the teamsheet onwards thread could always quote the original match thread starter (but this still loses the official credit of the original poster)
  2. Better would be to organize a system where the post of the original thread starter also begins the teamsheet onwards thread. Surely that's not beyond the ken of the forum?
  3. Another method might be to pin the original post/thread in the same way we pin pre-match and post-match interviews.
  4. Or the link to the pre-match thread could be embedded at the beginning of the teamsheet thread (but again this still loses the official credit of the original poster, but is probably better than (1))

Many football fans have deep (of course irrational) superstitions and one of the most deep-rooted is about a lucky poster continuing the threads. Probably half the members don't think it matters, while the other half think it matters a lot. I'd say the forum should honour the tradition.

I think we should ask @David what is technically possible. 

I like that there is a marker where the match action actually starts. I don't know if there is more than one way that this can be achieved. 

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Once again Carl, apologies, David has been away from the forum for a few days and as the only mod on at the time I acted quickly to ensure that we still had a thread to talk about the game. 

If you had said point 4 at the time I could have easily added the link into my post. Unfortunately only David can do number 3. Number 1 could be done in the future, but unfortunately once posted a quote cannot be added. On number, as above David has been away from the forum for the last few days and we didn't have any plan in the place. 

As Boycie has now started the pre match thread I am sure he will start the match one as well.

Again apologies. 

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Once again Carl, apologies, David has been away from the forum for a few days and as the only mod on at the time I acted quickly to ensure that we still had a thread to talk about the game. 

If you had said point 4 at the time I could have easily added the link into my post. Unfortunately only David can do number 3. Number 1 could be done in the future, but unfortunately once posted a quote cannot be added. On number, as above David has been away from the forum for the last few days and we didn't have any plan in the place. 

As Boycie has now started the pre match thread I am sure he will start the match one as well.

Again apologies. 

Sorry to have banged on! But I know it's important to some folk. You had to start something as it clearly can't be a case of relying on the original starter to also post the team news tweet an hour before kickoff.

We defo needed a thread, but should probably have planned it in advance. Sadly I didn't think of option 4 until the end of writing that post (that's why it's option 4!) as that is the most obvious solution, but I still worry it loses thread starter continuity. 

Another even simpler option is to revert to one thread and add the page number of the team news in the title once it's released? As we have such short pages that would make it instantly findable. 

3 hours ago, rynny said:

Again apologies. 

There’s one thing about this statement that casts doubt on the required outcome.

@David will be in his armchair, I’ll be in the pub/ground.

Two threads is a silly idea, and who ever suggested it needs to take a long hard look at themselves.  Who was it? 

On 01/09/2018 at 14:53, reveldevil said:

Not an issue, but a suggestion.

Would it be possible/desirable to split the matchday thread in two once the teams have been announced?

A pre match thread and a match thread for instance. 

It would help keep things easy to follow if you could click on the thread and know exactly where it will start from time wise.

For instance today was the first time I've looked at the thread since it was created, and to find out the line up I've had to skip to the last page, then reverse up until I found it. 

It's similar after a game, I like to go back and read people's thoughts on the game and the line up pre match, but it's a lot of guesswork to find where such posts start.

I don't know if this is possible, or if anyone else has the same issues, so I'm just throwing the suggestion out.

Here he is!

32 minutes ago, Boycie said:

There’s one thing about this statement that casts doubt on the required outcome.

@David will be in his armchair, I’ll be in the pub/ground.

Two threads is a silly idea, and who ever suggested it needs to take a long hard look at themselves.  Who was it? 

Does your iPhone not allow you to post on the forum?