Whats the best Derby County goal you've seen live

superzak

In terms of power shot, riochs free kick in the FA cup quarter final 4-1 against Newcastle in 1976. Went up like a rocket into the top corner stanchion of the goal and stayed there briefly. Think it was our 2nd goal.

In terms of team play,  the 2nd away at Yeovil in 2013. 26 passes? A great team goal when we really hadn't done anything of note away from home for ages.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SKRam said:

Lee v his old club. Rare for then it is on film. I was in Kippax surrounded by my family of Man City die hards, with my silk (sort of) scarf which I still have on show in my bedroom at 52. Previously mentioned I was born and raised a blue mooner and my forthcoming aurobiography (waiting for a decent author) will be entitled 'Franny Lee Changed My Life' :D. I promise you all my fellow Rams, I regret not a single day for following my hero to the East Midlands. Thank you Dave Mackay. Ah memories!! Reading of these fave goals is terrific, great thread!

I'd have to think long and hard, not sure I could pick out one. :)

Me too, not many of us there though were they?  I was at the end where he scored on the opposite side, rarely sitting down, until he scored!  Colin bell's first game back after injury?

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

In terms of power shot, riochs free kick in the FA cup quarter final 4-1 against Newcastle in 1976. Went up like a rocket into the top corner stanchion of the goal and stayed there briefly. Think it was our 2nd goal.

In terms of team play,  the 2nd away at Yeovil in 2013. 26 passes? A great team goal when we really hadn't done anything of note away from home for ages.

4:2 I think after rioch's goal I landed next to a wonderful girl.  Can't say much more but it was a great day.  

On 1 Jul 2017 at 19:10, eddie said:

Gladys against Newcastle in a 2-0 win at the BBG. He hit it from 40 yards and it was still rising when it went past the goalie (Iam McFaul I think).

One of my earliest memories of watching Derby that was... Just a nipper. 

On 01/07/2017 at 18:10, eddie said:

Gladys against Newcastle in a 2-0 win at the BBG. He hit it from 40 yards and it was still rising when it went past the goalie (Iam McFaul I think).

I'm glad you've put this on here cos I remember that goal and you're right he hit it from level with the opposition trainers box at the BBG into the Ozzie End. I was sat in the Ozzie Upper and McFaul never moved it was fantastic hit from Gladys

12 hours ago, HantsRam said:

The Rioch goal was 1 of 4 quality goals that day, Henry Newton hit a screamer for our 3rd goal and the 4th goal came after brilliant link up play with Charlie George and King Kev. Rioch's other goal wasn't bad either ?

Dean Saunders header at Villa Park into the Holt End and this header against Forest at the Normanto End, made better by the immortal Graham Richards comments; "goal, goal, goal, ... pick that one out Mark Crossley - not a chance" 

Very late to this topic. 

Had to be Martin's goal against Wigan:

Not the prettiest, but context is important. He was coming back from injury, we were missing him. It was a terrible match, but when he came on at halftime, the mood of the whole away section lifted. 

That goal made me believe we could do it, that it was our year. Of course , he got injured again in the next match, but that's beside the point. 

Don't think I've ever celebrated a goal quite like that one.

On 02/07/2017 at 21:00, Spanish said:

Me too, not many of us there though were they?  I was at the end where he scored on the opposite side, rarely sitting down, until he scored!  Colin bell's first game back after injury?

I honestly couldn't see much at all Spanish. Just about saw the goal. I was only nine! The commentary has become folklore since!!! Bell played but I'd have to consult my family re his first game back? 

Two offerings from me: Paul Simpson's second against Bristol City. A ball out from defence ro just short of the half-way line, a semi-overhead pass to someone in midfield who looked a bit like Eranio (different era, I think), who put it through for Simmo to play a superb delicate lob over the keeper. All over in  a manner of seconds from start to finish. Brilliant!

And George Thorne's goal against Manure. It might even have been Thorne who played it to Chris Martin, who paused then played a killer through ball to Thorne who hadn't stopped running, who banged it in. It sticks out as something they had planned beforehand in defiance of Clement's dull, dull, then slow it down and go backwards approach. Thorne hadn't been allowed out of his own half all season, so it was direct disobedience, and absolutely brilliant.

Thirdly (and I know this sounds a bit like Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition" sketch) is Chris Martin's goal away at Ipswich a couple of seasons ago. Ipswich spent the whole game trying to stifle us, and we were finding it really hard work, unitl Carson simply looked up, and hoofed the bouncing ball route 1. As the ball came over, Martin was running onto it, but not watching the ball, he was watching the defender, knowing he would try and head it back to the keeper. Sure enough the Ipswich donkey/gorilla/McCarthyite headed the ball back, right into Chrissy's path - Goal. The goal is special to me because we had outclassed them (who doesn't?!!) all game but struggled to break through, and beat them with just one example of their own hoofball game. Sweet!

In terms of pure emotion it would have to be Christian Daillys 90th minute equaliser against Spurs in our first away match in the Premier League.

Jacob Laursen hit the post 2 minutes earlier and it looked like our chance of rescuing a draw had gone. 

On the official DCFC video, I can be seen running down the stairs swinging my purple Derby top around my head...what a clown!

10 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Two offerings from me: Paul Simpson's second against Bristol City. A ball out from defence ro just short of the half-way line, a semi-overhead pass to someone in midfield who looked a bit like Eranio (different era, I think), who put it through for Simmo to play a superb delicate lob over the keeper. All over in  a manner of seconds from start to finish. Brilliant!

And George Thorne's goal against Manure. It might even have been Thorne who played it to Chris Martin, who paused then played a killer through ball to Thorne who hadn't stopped running, who banged it in. It sticks out as something they had planned beforehand in defiance of Clement's dull, dull, then slow it down and go backwards approach. Thorne hadn't been allowed out of his own half all season, so it was direct disobedience, and absolutely brilliant.

Thirdly (and I know this sounds a bit like Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition" sketch) is Chris Martin's goal away at Ipswich a couple of seasons ago. Ipswich spent the whole game trying to stifle us, and we were finding it really hard work, unitl Carson simply looked up, and hoofed the bouncing ball route 1. As the ball came over, Martin was running onto it, but not watching the ball, he was watching the defender, knowing he would try and head it back to the keeper. Sure enough the Ipswich donkey/gorilla/McCarthyite headed the ball back, right into Chrissy's path - Goal. The goal is special to me because we had outclassed them (who doesn't?!!) all game but struggled to break through, and beat them with just one example of their own hoofball game. Sweet!

Apologies Dave, but it was Christie with the hoofball to Martin ;)

On 30/06/2017 at 09:11, superzak said:

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Graham Moseley

Defender David Nish

Defender Rod Thomas

Defender Colin Todd

Defender/Centre back Roy McFarland

Midfielder Archie Gemmill

Midfielder Leighton James

Midfielder Bruce Rioch

Midfielder/Left back Henry Newton

Forward Charlie George

Forward Kevin Hector

Bruce Rioch Rioch free kick  he hit it that hard I never saw it go in the net. Now that's a team.

Was this the FA cup quarter final 1976 at home to Newcastle?   A game that I'll never forget watching as a 9 year old with my dad in the Normanton end.  Bruce Rioch free kick and Henry Newton cracker were the first goals I thought of when I saw this thread although there are lots of other contenders

https://youtu.be/ExHQcAvlJJU

Archived