Butterfield's time to shine?

Nuwtfly

Could the former Huddersfield man really step up for us this season? Going off the back off this DET article, he clearly wants to:

Jacob Butterfield says he wants to be part of "something special" under Derby County manager Gary Rowett.

The Rams are gearing up for another season in the Championship after finishing ninth in the Sky Bet Championship last term.

The players were due to report back for pre-season training today (Wednesday) following their summer break.

Rowett has vowed to make big changes over the summer, with all existing squad members battling to be part of his plans.

"That's football and that's the way it works," said Butterfield. "A new manager comes in and he's got his own ideas and his own style that he wants.

"The gaffer has been having a look at everyone and figuring out what he wants to do.

"It's up to us to try to impress him and try to be part of his plans.

"It's a great club and everyone wants to be here and be part of something special, hopefully, this season."

Midfielder Butterfield made 45 appearances in all competitions for the Rams in 2016-17, scoring once.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-midfielder-wants-to-be-part-of-something-special-under-gary-rowett/story-30412094-detail/story.html

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Could the former Huddersfield man really step up for us this season? Going off the back off this DET article, he clearly wants to:

Jacob Butterfield says he wants to be part of "something special" under Derby County manager Gary Rowett.

The Rams are gearing up for another season in the Championship after finishing ninth in the Sky Bet Championship last term.

The players were due to report back for pre-season training today (Wednesday) following their summer break.

Rowett has vowed to make big changes over the summer, with all existing squad members battling to be part of his plans.

"That's football and that's the way it works," said Butterfield. "A new manager comes in and he's got his own ideas and his own style that he wants.

"The gaffer has been having a look at everyone and figuring out what he wants to do.

"It's a great club and everyone wants to be here and be part of something special, hopefully, this season."

Midfielder Butterfield made 45 appearances in all competitions for the Rams in 2016-17, scoring once.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-midfielder-wants-to-be-part-of-something-special-under-gary-rowett/story-30412094-detail/story.html

I like him he just needs to be more positive on the ball he is technically our best centre mid now apart from a fully fit Thorne which I hope we will see again but I'm not convinced,but keeping everything crossed 

And fans moan about JR being poor last season? I reckon Butterfield will get his chance now Hughes has gone. But how long he'll get to prove himself depends.

If he's going to be going back to what he did at Huddersfield "your job Jacob, is to ping the ball to the striker or the wings" where he shone brightly perhaps he'll fit a bit better and lose the "sideways and back" reputation he has here.

I still have a hunch Rowett will go Thorne/Johnson in the middle though.

I think played further forward Butterfield will score and create goals.

He was nowhere near as bad as people made out last season, basically did what Hughes does in keeping the ball moving, the only difference being that from time to time Hughes will drive forward.

Just needs to be a bit more confident in his own ability, release the shackles that Clement put on him and I think he can become a very important player for us.

49 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Rowett has vowed to make big changes over the summer, with all existing squad members battling to be part of his plans"That's football and that's the way it works," said Butterfield. "A new manager comes in and he's got his own ideas and his own style that he wants.

They all talk the talk but rarely walk the walk.

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Playing further forward certainly gives him more scope to go backwards.

:ph34r:

I'm sure someone posted a stat last season that busted the myth about him only playing sideways and backwards, something like 75% of his passes were forwards.

I actually agree that he is overly negative but that appears to be because it was drilled into him that retaining possession is more important than trying risky through balls.

What he did last season was not much different to Hughes.

Never liked him. In addition to his negative play, he can't do anything defensively, not tackle, can't even head the ball, we all know that. But offensively he rarely threads a forward pass, hasn't scored (apart from one deflection) in forever, is without any speed, and has zero ability to beat a player one on one. 

i fear if we play him, we will slide down the table so fast it will be worse than the Pearson start. I'd take my chance on Elsnik over him, who showed far more upside in his cameos.

Get rid.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What didn't score much? If he ever gets near Hughes ability he'll be worth a place.

Scored 1 less goal and had the same amount of assists.

Midfielders need to impact games. I would say JB and WH had about the same impact on games last season...very little.

I can actually think of JB controlling a game last season (Wolves at home) can't really think of one for Hughes. Maybe Forest/Leicester at home in spells.

Is it a coincidence that both failed to shine with the tripe that was up ahead of them on the pitch?

His technical ability is unquestioned. However his decision making is poor, especially the time it takes for him to make a decision. How many moves has he messed up over the past 2 seasons by taking too many touches. As for those saying  Clement and McClaren drummed the sideways backwards possession for possession sake into him, maybe it was Butterfield himself who preferred to take the easy option and not play the risk/reward pass? I'm the 4-3-3 he didn't have the engine to play it, and defensively he's woeful, too lightweight and can't tackle.

However, he has had good games, for me forest away when he came on he was running at the heart of their defence, playing incisive balls to the wings and getting into the box, and as we know from his first season around the edge of the box, he is lethal.

I would have much preferred JB to leave the club than Hughes, but obviously there hasn't been much interest in him. Hopefully he fits into a Rowett team better than he has the previous managers but this is a massive season for him and if he gets his chance he has to deliver. In 2 years, he has NOT delivered.

But then again, he's not the only one in this squad we can say this about.

Archived