Job Hunting

PodgeyRam

My university course finishes at the end of August and I am currently in the process of looking for a job.

Aside from looking on the usual job websites, I was thinking about sending my CV off to companies that aren't actively hiring at the moment.

Has anyone on here done that before? Did it actually work? Anyone got any tips?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could hire through agencies, bear that in mind. Have a look on the website, call and ask who would be the best person to send a speculative CV too. That way you can break the ice in the email by opening with 'I was informed that you are the best person to send my CV in....'

Shows you made an effort and not just botting your CV.

2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

They could hire through agencies, bear that in mind. Have a look on the website, call and ask who would be the best person to send a speculative CV too. That way you can break the ice in the email by opening with 'I was informed that you are the best person to send my CV in....'

Shows you made an effort and not just botting your CV.

Yeah, that's a good idea actually. Gives you a more human touch and you're actually likely to send it to the right person!

4 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

journalismjobs.co.uk, gorkana, tvzjobs.tv and contacts.

Got to be honest, you chose the worst possible time to graduate with a news journalism degree.

So I've been told. The one thing I hope I have going for me is that the degree trained me in all the practical aspects of the job and I've already got a portfolio and professional qualifications. I just need that first step onto the ladder.

2 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Haha, it does seem that way at times. Not going to let it go without a fight though.

Good lad. Best thing to do is to rock up somewhere there aren't many journalists, its the best way to get ahead of the crowd. Or go down the path of financial journalism. Companies like mergermarket are always looking for staff.

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

So I've been told. The one thing I hope I have going for me is that the degree trained me in all the practical aspects of the job and I've already got a portfolio and professional qualifications. I just need that first step onto the ladder.

It also helps if you start learning foreign languages. 

5 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Good lad. Best thing to do is to rock up somewhere there aren't many journalists, its the best way to get ahead of the crowd. Or go down the path of financial journalism. Companies like mergermarket are always looking for staff.

That's the thing isn't  it. Chances of actually getting ppaid somewhere where there aren't many journalists isn't great! 

I'd be useless at financial journalism. Couldn't tell you the first thing about financial markets or how they work.

2 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

That's the thing isn't  it. Chances of actually getting ppaid somewhere where there aren't many journalists isn't great! 

I'd be useless at financial journalism. Couldn't tell you the first thing about financial markets or how they work.

It's a professional job and needs to be done. Its not hard. 

6 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

It's a professional job and needs to be done. Its not hard. 

Maybe you're right. I've just never really paid attention to financial journalism. Maybe a week long crash course could bring me up to speed. 

23 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Make a mean coffee then do you?

Archived