When a player asks to leave

Day

This isn't about any player specifically, just in general.

If a player comes to you and says I no longer want to play for this club, I want to leave. What do you do, would your decision be dependant on the player, is there a cut off point where there is no time to replace?

Few options to pick from would be... 

- Sell him, try and get the best deal you can

- Sell him, but hold out until deadline day hoping  for a bidding war and a club pays over the odds in desperation?

- Tell him to hand in a formal transfer request

- Tell him he's staying and will be in the first team

- Tell him he's staying and if he kicks up a fuss send him to the U23's

- Tell him you will let him leave but not until the next transfer window 

Welcome to use another option I haven't listed other than physical violence, why I haven't attached a poll.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Sell him only at a price that reflects there value. I've got no problem with Hughes leaving as I want him to succeed in the prem, but for such a low price makes it hurt more as our best academy product for decades we let go without a fight. 

Removing Hughes from it.

Let's say X player wants to leave, you think you can get £5m for him, clubs are only willing to pay £2.5m.

Do you keep him, refuse to sell or reluctantly sell say on deadline day?

Just now, David said:

Removing Hughes from it.

Let's say X player wants to leave, you think you can get £5m for him, clubs are only willing to pay £2.5m.

You tell him your happy to let him go but only at the right price

2 minutes ago, David said:

Removing Hughes from it.

It all depends really. If it is someone like Blackman who we want to sell at £3m to get our money back, but nobody wants to pay that much then we can reluctantly sell for say £1.5m as he doesn't provide much value to the team other than draining our wages. However if it is a player who is valuable to our team then we should only sell if our value is met as if we sell at a budget price we won't be able to adequately replace him. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Removing Hughes from it.

Think it's too difficult to say - Player to player - But generally: 

Initially tell them you'll sell IF you get the right offer - If they're happy with that then you wait til you get the offer and the player understands they're not going until then

If the player says "no I just want out" then let them go - I know money is a huge part of the game these days and it's gutting to not get the perceived value for a player BUT if a player wants to go then you pretty much have to let them - We've built a culture in football where the players have much more power than the clubs and very few are brave enough to stand up to them - Since even if you do that you'll get blacklisted by the big agent groups and find it a real struggle to buy players

I think if a player wants to leave you should act regardless of worth or squad ranking.

At the end of the day they can go on a free or pay their own contract out meaning we get nothing.

Allowing them to leave with the option of Derby getting a fair fee is acceptable in my eyes.

I wouldn't like to have a player kept in the club who is desperate to leave

It depends on the history of the player with the club and possibilities of replacing him and other factors.  So generally speaking, if he is a first team player most games or even comes on as a sub most games i will try and talk him out of it, find out the problem and try to find a middle ground.  If he is still adamant that he wants to leave, then i will not stand in his way, but he will need to understand that he will be dropped immediately from the first team.  If that's an issue for him, then down to the kids he goes and any trouble he makes after that will not be tolerated.  Players who would be unreasonable with me would not have an easy remaining time at the club.

If he is not in my first team plans and not likely to get there i can fully understand that he should leave and i would do all i can to assist him.

For me, on a Saturday I want those 11 players that cross the white line to want to be at the club. Sick and tired of seeing half hearted performances whilst still collecting their cheque at the end of the week.

Ideal world valuations are met and we wish the player good luck, but players can have clubs over a barrel, when buying clubs know players want out, they can sniff the opportunity of a bargain. 

Hold out till deadline day to get the best deal possible is an option but then it limits the time you have to find a replacement, you also won't know the money that you may have available.

Would be interested to know what the percentage of deals done are valuations that were met, and how many went far below or above.

Tricky one really, I just think dressing room happiness far outweighs money, the only time I think I would put my foot down is if the request was made with only a few days left of the window, promise to let them go in January and hope there's enough respect and understanding not to screw us over.

Greizmann at Atletico is an example, could have left, had the offers but didn't feel it was right given their embargo. Might just be a rarity I don't know.

7 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

I think if a player wants to leave you should act regardless of worth or squad ranking.

At the end of the day they can go on a free or pay their own contract out meaning we get nothing.

Allowing them to leave with the option of Derby getting a fair fee is acceptable in my eyes.

I wouldn't like to have a player kept in the club who is desperate to leave

Well you're not Jokanovic are you! ;)

Try and sort why they want to leave, and keep them until we can get a good deal. If they want Champions League football they're not likely to get that with us any time soon, how would a manager keep and motivate such a player?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Try and sort why they want to leave, and keep them until we can get a good deal. If they want Champions League football they're not likely to get that with us any time soon, how would a manager keep and motivate such a player?

Which is another variable to throw in, does it make a difference if it's Premier League football they want or another Championship club?

No club wants to strengthen a rival but a player can be just as unhappy if you block a move to the PL or Championship. 

Huddersfield didn't want Butterfield to leave, doubt many Derby fans thought at the time they would be rivals anytime soon. 

Not bloody rivals now we've got Butterfield and they've gone up! ??‍♂️

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I'm a better manager than that ;)

Yeah exactly, if we can't offer what they want then what can we do?

To motivate a player who is desperate is simple from the outside, just tell them to show why they deserve to move to team X or say their manager is in attendance :lol:

If the club wants to keep him and the manager feels the player has a future, the club and manager obv have to offer him a good deal better than hes on now, praise the fu(k out of him and butter him up with cream and make him feel wanted.

If hes adamant that he wants to leave, then work out the best deal you can get and let him go. A player who doesnt really want to be at the club can be a negative character to the whole squad so its best to let him go.

Its up to a good manager to assess the player and situation and do the right thing

17 minutes ago, David said:

Which is another variable to throw in, does it make a difference if it's Premier League football they want or another Championship club?

No club wants to strengthen a rival but a player can be just as unhappy if you block a move to the PL or Championship. 

Huddersfield didn't want Butterfield to leave, doubt many Derby fans thought at the time they would be rivals anytime soon. 

Not bloody rivals now we've got Butterfield and they've gone up! ??‍♂️

We do have a history of signing players from a club then that club going up

Barker - Blackpool

Grant/Shackell - Burnley

Ince - Hull

I'm sure theres more I just cant think of them

41 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

We do have a history of signing players from a club then that club going up

Barker - Blackpool

Grant/Shackell - Burnley

Ince - Hull

I'm sure theres more I just cant think of them

Never forget a Burnley fan acting all smug leading up to Wembley. 

"Grant and Austin left as they felt they had a better chance of Premier League leaving us. One's going to be dissapointed now and we're all happy."

<_<

Depends on the player involved and how determined he is to leave. The manager first responsibility is to the club not to the player, who has after all, agreed a contract.

If the manager thinks that it's better for the team that he stays then he is entitled to keep him but a lot will depend on the player's mentality. If he is a player who, when his request is refused, will be professional and still give 100% for the club, It makes sense to keep him. In such cases maybe a compromise can be reached and the player agrees to stay for another year, while the club finds a suitable replacement.

Agents and players seem to know that a manager would rather sell a player on than keep a player that is causing trouble or not fully committed, hence players refusing to play and other such deplorable ploys to try and engineer a move away.  Unfortunately in these circumstance the manager has little choice but to get rid of the player at the best price possible. Nobody wants a disruptive and unwilling player at any club.

Archived