Jake Buxton - signed for Burton

17 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Players should earn the shirt and fight to keep it. Previously, Buxton did this. Derby's downfall for many years has been picking players on reputation and NOT on merit or performance. 

The players who work hardest and perform best should get in the side. 

You really think Jake Buxton would be a great signing?

Be a complete waste of money. If he does sign and plays more than a dozen full games for the club I'll gladly donate £20 to a charity of your choice. 

Totally bonkers signing for me. Especially if we don't move a centre half out.

Cant wait for Stephen Pearson to sign then. I'm in disbelief at this signing if confirmed. A waste of 6 figures. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Buxton on (at a guess) £5k-£10k per week as a back up option, or Pearce and Shackell on (at a guess) a combined £50k-£60k a week?

That's based on the assumption that if we want to sign him we have takers for those two. We might not in which case there's no point.

But if we do to me that's a no brainer?

The usual suspects can make digs at Mel all they want. If he cared that much he'd have stopped him going in the first place. After all he's a meddler isn't he?

Mel dug himself into every decision he's made..... quite gladly applaud him if he eve digs himself out and leaves me with egg on my face.

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Be a complete waste of money. If he does sign and plays more than a dozen full games for the club I'll gladly donate £20 to a charity of your choice. 

Cant wait for Stephen Pearson to sign then. I'm in disbelief at this signing if confirmed. A waste of 6 figures. 

£20....

Not showing a massive amount of confidence there then squire.

5 hours ago, JG400 said:

Err because however you want to shape it he is now crap in this division , too slow now for pace and he only ever looked good along side a commanding CH therefore play a youngster in his place

Are you forgetting when he turned up to our place this season with Wigan and made our attack look like schoolboys? He was excellent along with Warnock that day. Hardly crap in this division.

7 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Jake was great while he was here but would be a backward step bringing him back.....

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

You're gonna claim he didn't look good next to Keogh? Even though we made the Wembley final with those two paired? Sorry, I don't agree. Buxton was bloody good in the air, despite his height, and we all know he could certainly play it from the back. I'd rather have a defender like Buxton, who we know can play from the back, rather than a clogger like Hanley.

I don't think he's crap in this division.

But that's my point he looked fine along side Keogh , who was then a commanding CH in our team, when Keogh was injured and Buxton was the main CH he looked halve the player , I give you Derby 4 - Ipswich 4 as an example I remember our defense was all over the place in that game

8 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Sounds an awful lot like gambling that does, retract man retract.

This is an Internet forum, I've lost my left testicle on several signings yet it is still with me today.

I think it was @DcFc Dyycheee who still yet to run through Derby City Centre naked over a signing as well.

Anything but money, nobody holds you to it thankfully, would find it hard to explain to the missus if they did.

Forgot the player for a minute and ask do we need another centre back?

Is there real interest in Keogh, Pearce or Shackell? Any concrete offers made?

Easy to say on the internet get rid of Shackell and bring Buxton back, might not be so easy in the real world. Barely played last season and hasn't kicked a ball since having back surgery, can't imagine any manager will touch him right now. 

As of today Buxton is looking for a club when we have zero need for a centre back, a squad that needs reducing and areas strengthened. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

Forgot the player for a minute and ask do we need another centre back?

Is there real interest in Keogh, Pearce or Shackell? Any concrete offers made?

Easy to say on the internet get rid of Shackell and bring Buxton back, might not be so easy in the real world. Barely played last season and hasn't kicked a ball since having back surgery, can't imagine any manager will touch him right now. 

As of today Buxton is looking for a club when we have zero need for a centre back, a squad that needs reducing and areas strengthened. 

Your completely correct @David, unless we are confident we can move one of Pearce or Shackell on (and your right that it will be tricky to move shackell on) it'd be a little foolish signing Buxton.

NIGEL CLOUGH’S Burton Albion are beating his old club Derby County to a deal for Jake Buxton.

Veteran centre half Buxton has just ended his spell at Wigan early after expressing his desire to be closer to his family in Nottinghamshire.

And he is set to return to the Pirelli Stadium despite rival interest from the Rams.

Clough is able to offer Buxton a better chance of a game than Derby where he would be a squad player.

The 32-year-old defender has already held talks with League Two Notts County.

However, the opportunity to remain in the Championship looks to have proven too strong.

Buxton played 42 times for the Latics last season in the second-tier after joining from Derby 12 months ago.

Clough, who signed him first for Burton in 2008 and then took him to Pride Park when he was appointed manager there, had been interested in signing the star last summer.

But his side were unable to match the financial offer from the Latics.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3893788/burton-boss-nigel-clough-beating-old-club-derby-to-deal-for-jake-buxton-after-his-release-by-wigan/

Archived