Jake Buxton - signed for Burton

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I'll be disappointed if he signs for two reasons:

1. I don't think he has a cat in hells chance of playing more than half the games. Maybe even a dozen. I don't buy the we need "character" in the dressing room argument.

2. If he decides to join Derby instead of Burton where he'd get regular football..... it says a lot about his "character" if he chooses to come here for a pay day instead of first team football doesn't it? 

On 1. I agree with the unlikely to play many games scenario. I dis-agree with the character element I think Bucko would bring some steel for situations when the going gets tough.

On 2. You can't deduce that. I could counter argue that he is considering coming back as he feels affinity with / commitment to the club but that is just speculation. Burton have got Macfadzean and Turner as 1st choice cbs (although Turner will be unavailable for a while due to his indiscretions last season). I can't see Clough guaranteeing him starting birth.

Totally unnecessary to sign Jake with the CBs we currently have on the books but if the plan is to shift 2 or 3 of them on then I would be happy to see JB back. I certainly prefer him to Alex Pearce who seemed to lose the plot in the closing games of last season.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this is just a case of a wild rumour which is so far wide of the mark. If there's the slightest grain of truth in it then it will be so depressing. 

Bucko's time with us was great but it's gone - let's leave it where it belongs - in the past.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

People spend too much time hung up on ability when they should focus on performance! 

Buxton, for me, almost always played to his optimum ability, effectively better than almost all of his team mates who have more ability but don't perform. 

Don't forget, Rowett turned Shotton into a world beater for a few months! I would have no concerns with Buxton on the pitch. He's proven to be committed, able and consistent enough.  

Surely it's about focusing on the fit? 

Why is X performing even though Y has more ability? 

Is there a role in the team that gets optimal performance out of X or Y? 

For all of Pirlo's ability he was a failed attacking midfielder. Moving deeper is what turned him into a consistent performer. 

Would Bucko have performed to the level he did if his duties on the ball were stripped of him and he was just in there to head and kick it? 

1 hour ago, singaporeram said:

Maybe we have a potential coach coming here - we know he's an inspiring figure who sets the right example to kids. With all due respect, this can't be just about his playing ability  

The rate we go through managers Jake could be in charge by the autumn! And sacked by February!!

I can see it as a player/ coach role. I suspect that in reality that would in part consist of him being a mentor to young players and being Rowett's "insider" in the dressing room. That could work well, I mean a similar role worked well (by all accounts) with Drogba returning to Chelsea. But a a derby fan (pessimist) I cant help but imagine him playing in front of a young talent, blocking pathway to 1st team, playing badly and ruining his popularity with our fans (who we know have short memories at times)

4 hours ago, singaporeram said:

Maybe we have a potential coach coming here - we know he's an inspiring figure who sets the right example to kids. With all due respect, this can't be just about his playing ability  

Nixon tweeted that it's not a role with any coaching angle

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Jake, ignore your old clubs and go to Notts County - you'd be a warrior and leader of men there.

Plenty of time for coaching roles later on.

At 32 years old he still has playing time ahead of him.

Notts would be a very good fit for him.

Obviously dependant on wages but he could well go in there and skipper through a very good campaign.

Without casting any shadow on how he conducted himself in the glorious rams kit, a return to our club would not be wise for him and the team.

Bucko was a Titan for the Rams but we surely have moved on.

If our club are paying out fees for players like Davies and Wisdom them you have to think we are looking beyond Jake Buxton.

He came to Derby amid some skepticism but left as a folk hero so hopefully that memory of him won't get tarnished.

57 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

At 32 years old he still has playing time ahead of him.

Notts would be a very good fit for him.

Obviously dependant on wages but he could well go in there and skipper through a very good campaign.

Without casting any shadow on how he conducted himself in the glorious rams kit, a return to our club would not be wise for him and the team.

Bucko was a Titan for the Rams but we surely have moved on.

If our club are paying out fees for players like Davies and Wisdom them you have to think we are looking beyond Jake Buxton.

He came to Derby amid some skepticism but left as a folk hero so hopefully that memory of him won't get tarnished.

To be fair though,over the past few seasons,we haven't moved on,we have regressed....buckos probably too good for us now!

Archived