Jake Buxton - signed for Burton

We all love Bucko but its a backwards step imo. Surely there's some promising young centre backs at lower league teams to get as a back up / pushing for a first team place? Rawson mustn't be as promising as people think if so many managers seem to be overlooking him.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love you Bucko,but playing no.

Involved with the club or coaching or even the club nutter who prowls the corridors at Moor Farm and sits rocking in a corner.

The days of watching him spray it out to Fozzy and going from defence to the opposition penalty area in 7 seconds are gone :(.

I`ve heard from a decent source that we have offered him a 1 year deal, but he has been told that his chances of a regular place in the team are slim, but GR likes his attitude and wants him around the 1st team squad.

He is torn as he really wants to come back but has been offered 2 year deals by Burton and Notts C and he still feels that he can perform at this level so I fully expect him to go to Burton.

8 minutes ago, Venkman 2 said:

I`ve heard from a decent source that we have offered him a 1 year deal, but he has been told that his chances of a regular place in the team are slim, but GR likes his attitude and wants him around the 1st team squad.

He is torn as he really wants to come back but has been offered 2 year deals by Burton and Notts C and he still feels that he can perform at this level so I fully expect him to go to Burton.

This sounds extremely likely - I suspect that Shackell is seen as surplus (33 now and he's hardly a team player) and they're trying to encourage him out - Plus wouldn't be shocked to see Pearce go if we get an offer since he'll want first team football

I know it's entirely heart based but I WANT HIM BACK!!!!! GIVE ME MY BUCKO BACK!!!!

Keogh and Davies would be our best combo at CB - But just having El Buckonator in a Derby shirt again will bring tears to my eyes

Caveat - This may be a gross over reaction to losing Hughes

23 minutes ago, Venkman 2 said:

"Hi Jake, we've got some really good youngsters coming through, do you mind coming back and just making sure they don't get anywhere near the first team squad, thanks, Gary"

26 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Why don't we sign someone with a good attitude who will also play? 

Can't for the life of me figure out why we'd sign a player who would hardly play just cos he's got a good attitude. 

I think the logic is that, we are bringing in him purely as cover and quite possibly as a firm 4th choice. Rowett I think will be looking to set up an absolute first choice centre back pairing with one usual understudy (this quite well could be wisdom shifting accross), this means you really need to have players behind them that are comfortable being squad players and won't be complaining about there lack of play time. I don't think Pearce or Shackell fit that bill whereas Buxton would (not to mention the saving in wages) as well as being a positive influence on the squad.

I'd prefer an academy player taking this role though personally but I can see why Rowett might want a character around like Buxton.

13 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'd prefer an academy player taking this role though personally but I can see why Rowett might want a character around like Buxton.

People keep saying this - But do we have ANY solid proof that we have any CBs in the u23s who are ready to take the step up?

All the players I've seen suggested to be any good are full backs or midfielders...

18 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

People keep saying this - But do we have ANY solid proof that we have any CBs in the u23s who are ready to take the step up?

All the players I've seen suggested to be any good are full backs or midfielders...

Fair point and I'm really not sure. If there is isn't anybody who looks like making the step up, I would like us seeing us sign a young up and comer from a lower league.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Fair point and I'm really not sure. If there is isn't anybody who looks like making the step up, I would like us seeing us sign a young up and comer from a lower league.

The guy who keeps getting touted is Rawson - But I feel like he didn't get overly lauded at Coventry last year - And he's been 'in contention' under several managers now who haven't thought he was ready - Other than that I feel like every time I've heard about the u23s they were playing DMs at CB or getting u18s to take a massive step up to play

And the issue I have with young players from the lower leagues is - Wingers and forwards don't cost you games (normally) when they make mistakes - And can make a real impact in 10-20 mins - CBs need time, consistency and stability to improve and prove themselves - Which is why you don't very often get a youth player stepping up a league onto a subs bench

I think we originally bought him in as 4th choice centre back when we signed him, he managed to play is way into first choice centre back and almost helped us get into the Prem.

I love Bucko and as much as my heart would love to see him back, if he signed for us it would be the final indication to me that whoever is doing our recruitment, they are only there for the banter.

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The guy who keeps getting touted is Rawson - But I feel like he didn't get overly lauded at Coventry last year - And he's been 'in contention' under several managers now who haven't thought he was ready - Other than that I feel like every time I've heard about the u23s they were playing DMs at CB or getting u18s to take a massive step up to play

And the issue I have with young players from the lower leagues is - Wingers and forwards don't cost you games (normally) when they make mistakes - And can make a real impact in 10-20 mins - CBs need time, consistency and stability to improve and prove themselves - Which is why you don't very often get a youth player stepping up a league onto a subs bench

Good points, well made. Can't really argue with any of that if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, Venkman 2 said:

If he wants to play then he should go to Burton, as it stands we have Davies and Keogh plus Pearce, wisdom, Baird and Rawson who can all play there, if we need someone with a great attitude then can we please get them for our midfield 

People spend too much time hung up on ability when they should focus on performance! 

Buxton, for me, almost always played to his optimum ability, effectively better than almost all of his team mates who have more ability but don't perform. 

Don't forget, Rowett turned Shotton into a world beater for a few months! I would have no concerns with Buxton on the pitch. He's proven to be committed, able and consistent enough.  

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

People spend too much time hung up on ability when they should focus on performance! 

Buxton, for me, almost always played to his optimum ability, effectively better than almost all of his team mates who have more ability but don't perform. 

Don't forget, Rowett turned Shotton into a world beater for a few months! I would have no concerns with Buxton on the pitch. He's proven to be committed, able and consistent enough.  

shotton a world beater ? 

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

This....there is almost a snob attitude towards buxton,presumably because of his roots,it certainly can't be based on his performances here last time,he was vital in the 2013/14 campaign.

That's not to say it would be replicated next season but I'll leave that to GR's judgement

Archived