Steven Caulker - Signed for Dundee

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/06/2017 at 12:53, Ambitious said:

I wouldn't mind Caulker in for Shackell or Pearce. I'm all for signing players whose stock is down in comparison to their previous levels. He's a very solid defender, not the best footballer, but he has a little bit of athleticism which we know from experience Rowett likes.

Well,Rowett signed Shotton for Birmingham and managed to get him playing well-miracles never cease!

50 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Powerful stuff here. Might make a few on here think again...

Why would it? The objections to signing him are because people don't think he's very good or think our current centre backs are better, not because they were worried about his gambling addiction.

4 hours ago, Rample said:

Hope he gets a club and a manager able to support him and he can make a go of it. 

I'm not convinced we're that club.

Celtic would probably be a good fit.  

Harsh....I think I would be a good fit for Celtic. 

We know the wage bill it's about 20 million total. I seriously doubt if any one player is going to be responsible for 10% of the entire wage bill. 

Doubt anyone is on over 25k including CM on his new deal, unless you include performance bonuses and so on. It just doesn't add up with the facts 

3 hours ago, jono said:

We know the wage bill it's about 20 million total. I seriously doubt if any one player is going to be responsible for 10% of the entire wage bill. 

Doubt anyone is on over 25k including CM on his new deal, unless you include performance bonuses and so on. It just doesn't add up with the facts 

The total wage bill in 15/16 was £31.908m and I'd guess players' wages to be about £27m of that, I suspect this wage bill would have reduced slightly in 16/17.

14 minutes ago, ramblur said:

The total wage bill in 15/16 was £31.908m and I'd guess players' wages to be about £27m of that, I suspect this wage bill would have reduced slightly in 16/17.

I trust your knowledge of things fiscal but I had always thought that over the last couple of years the wage bill was more or less equivalent to the turnover ? With about 10 million of other costs on top ? I.e, 20 and 30 But perhaps I am thinking of 14/15 season ? The extra therefore seems to come from the additions of Johnson, Butterfield and sundry renewals ? 

8 minutes ago, jono said:

I trust your knowledge of things fiscal but I had always thought that over the last couple of years the wage bill was more or less equivalent to the turnover ? With about 10 million of other costs on top ? I.e, 20 and 30 But perhaps I am thinking of 14/15 season ? The extra therefore seems to come from the additions of Johnson, Butterfield and sundry renewals ? 

In 14/15,turnover was £21.467, with total wages at £21.767.  You'r missing Weimann,Shackell,Ince and Bent,along with any I've missed.

Total expenses in 16/17 came in a a staggering near £50m

On a personal level i feel for the bloke but football sense....steer well clear, i have watched his game with interest since he went for big bucks to Cardiff...he was woeful, no positional sense and responsible for quite a few of the goals conceded...I don't rate Pearce highly but he's better than Caulker and Pearce will probably be 4th choice if he stays

If Keogh does go then we could see our interest stepped up in Caulker.

I expect he would be cheap-ish fee wise, at least cheaper than the fee it would take to get Keogh. Wages wise, I don't think they'd be too high given the article that's come out today.

The lad has obviously struggled and he needs to find himself a good place to get his career back on the right track. Whether we are stable enough, I'm not sure. I think GR is the right sort of manager for him though. Seems to be great at man management and pulling the best out of players. Caulker seems very willing to fix what has gone wrong for him. To do that, he's almost certainly going to need to take a pay cut, and he seems willing.

Why would we take the risk? Why do we assume things would be any different here at Derby? How would this signing fit the stated brief and will he definitely be better than what we already have? Fair do's to the lad and I hope he gets things worked out but the risk profile on this seems pretty high unless we pick him up for an absolute song. Even then we risk weakening our defence in favour of improved cash flow.

Archived