Steven Caulker - Signed for Dundee

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Charlie.B said:

You lads don't have to believe it. Ask yourself would a player at Villa on 50k go to derby on any less than 40? 

Where's your £50k come from? To be honest I'd take a lot less to get away from Villa.

Fair play to him being so open about it, like he says people only see the bad stuff made public but not any of the good stuff he has done.

He does have undoubted quality and IF we were the team to give him a second chance I would have no issue at all

15 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Very interesting article,always makes me sad reading stuff like this.

True and when posters say, that the money should make it all better, (in reply to a post saying something like 'but footballers are only human') they should read this:

It was more than six years into his career before he accepted he needed help. “You always think you can rein it back in again and the money provides a false sense of security. But at Southampton I realised, mentally, I was gone. I wasn’t playing, my career was going nowhere and I had to reach out to someone. The doctor there tried to help me but others were just telling me to go out on the pitch and ‘express myself’.

“There was no understanding as to what was happening in my head. I know they’d brought me in to do a job and they weren’t there to be babysitters. Just like at QPR, I needed to justify the money they were paying me but I was in a state and, at some point, there has to be a duty of care. Football does not deal well with mental illness. Maybe it’s changing but the support mechanisms are so often not there.

Archived