Joe Ledley - Signed

RamFan13

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see much fault in this signing. Worst case scenario is he doesn't get fit and leaves in January, which means we don't have him tied to a long contract.

Best case is he performs brilliantly, and it gets extended in January. 

Seems a shrewd move to me. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

You can't normally sign a free agent who wasn't a free agent when the window shut, but there must be an exception rule here. Krul had already agreed to a loan, which would obviously be ended if his contract with Newcastle is terminated because where's he on loan from?! In that case there must be a rule allowing the club who loaned him, and that club only, to sign him permanently- its not fair otherwise, not their choice Newcastle released him.

I'm glad you' ve clarified that then...:mellow:

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

But in the Kieftenbeld thread someone stated that Birmingham couldn't make him a free agent now and us sign him -he had to be a free agent before end of transfer window. 

Is it different if the player is already loaned to you in the window? 

Very confusing. ....

I think it's purely and simply that we and the Premier League have different governance, so as he is already registered there anyway they're obviously happy with it. 

What's strange to turn a 12 month loan into a 12 month contract, I get that it means Krul can play against Newcastle this weekend but it must also mean they are taking over all his wages or similar so there is some obvious benefit to Newcastle too. I did think it would free up another loan for B&HA but not sure how that would help them right now.

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I hope there is some sort of provision or verbal agreement that if he turns up and plays like an absolute monster we get the opportunity to offer him a deal before anyone else. I like the deal as it is relatively risk free for both parties but if he makes himself indispensable it would be really annoying to see him bugger off to a promotion rival after we took a punt on him initially. 

I have been fortunate to see first hand the contract terms :ph34r:, and replicate here the wording:

Dear Mr Ledley

I confirm our agreement that for £xx a week you are offered a contract of employment on the first team playing staff of Derby County Football Club. The contract runs until 31 January 2018. If during the period of employment you play like an absolute monster we believe you to have no option but to re-sign a similar contract for an extended period of employment with our goodselves. If you, however, play like a pile of old cack, you can feck off where you came from, and never darken our door again Boyo.

Yours sincerely

Mr M Morris

42 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I have been fortunate to see first hand the contract terms :ph34r:, and replicate here the wording:

Dear Mr Ledley

I confirm our agreement that for £xx a week you are offered a contract of employment on the first team playing staff of Derby County Football Club. The contract runs until 31 January 2018. If during the period of employment you play like an absolute monster we believe you to have no option but to re-sign a similar contract for an extended period of employment with our goodselves. If you, however, play like a pile of old cack, you can feck off where you came from, and never darken our door again Boyo.

Yours sincerely

Mr M Morris

It's all too legalistic for me. You'd need to be a barrister to understand it.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Dear Mr Ledley

Yours sincerely

Mr M Morris

You could have at least spilled the beans on how much he's earning, but I'm sure that there are at least 3 x's missing from the weekly wage.

No problem with adding this bearded beefcake to the squad. We do need muscle and fight, to pose opponents more of a physical presence in the middle of the park. To impose ourselves on teams and hold onto games are sorely-needed disciplines that we frequently lack. Joe can do this as well as most players of his ilk.

Rowett had to revise his priorities after the Keef move fell through, given the inadequacy and inconsistency of other players. 

Ledley ain't a speed merchant but overall, displacing the slower, inept Butterfield and bringing him in must strengthen our midfield presence.

It also points towards Johnson being given a forward-left role, which he has to (finally) grasp, or will need to be moved on - as another 'marquee' signing that turned out to be a tatty teepee. 

We miss the Bryson of old...but he became a shadow of himself, post-injury. Will H does have the incentive to push on and be a star with Watford, if he is to graduate from his excellent Young England period into a full international squad member for the World Cup. He's become invisible at the moment, sadly for his prospects.

Hope Joe gets some game time against Brum and that we get the tonic that a win brings!

C O Y R

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Dear Mr Ledley

Awryt butt?

Mr M Morris

FTFY, your first attempt didn't sign off in Welsh!

3 hours ago, Woodypecker said:

No problem with adding this bearded beefcake to the squad. We do need muscle and fight, to pose opponents more of a physical presence in the middle of the park. To impose ourselves on teams and hold onto games are sorely-needed disciplines that we frequently lack. Joe can do this as well as most players of his ilk.

Rowett had to revise his priorities after the Keef move fell through, given the inadequacy and inconsistency of other players. 

Ledley ain't a speed merchant but overall, displacing the slower, inept Butterfield and bringing him in must strengthen our midfield presence.

It also points towards Johnson being given a forward-left role, which he has to (finally) grasp, or will need to be moved on - as another 'marquee' signing that turned out to be a tatty teepee. 

We miss the Bryson of old...but he became a shadow of himself, post-injury. Will H does have the incentive to push on and be a star with Watford, if he is to graduate from his excellent Young England period into a full international squad member for the World Cup. He's become invisible at the moment, sadly for his prospects.

Hope Joe gets some game time against Brum and that we get the tonic that a win brings!

C O Y R

I'd have Bryson and Butterfield over Ledley, all day, every day and twice on Sunday. Opinions game.

31 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I'd have Bryson and Butterfield over Ledley, all day, every day and twice on Sunday. Opinions game.

I don't know; I can't see what Bryson or Butterfield have done in their careers to be lauded over Ledley. 

Bryson can't even make the Scotland squad, whilst Ledley still gets in the Welsh contingent without a club. I think Wales are better than Scotland, too. 

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Dear Mr Ledley

Yours sincerely

Mr M Morris

Typical MM meddling again.

Good career behind him, only 30. Good signing in the circumstances.

Now, where the hell is he going to play and how do we fit our best assets into one XI?

I don't think we can. Another window or two required. Don't want to write off a whole season in September, but....well...I'm existing on hope rather than expectation.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I don't know; I can't see what Bryson or Butterfield have done in their careers to be lauded over Ledley. 

Bryson can't even make the Scotland squad, whilst Ledley still gets in the Welsh contingent without a club. I think Wales are better than Scotland, too. 

Like I say, opinions game. I rated both of them and would rather have them both here than Ledley. I know it's a minority opinion, certainly on Butterfield but then, I rated him from day one. After watching Barnsley and Bristol breeze beyond our midfield in the last two games, let us hope Ledley is at least mobile and good at ball retention. Between Johnson's inability to pass and Huddlestone's inability to move, we need something.

I don't think international recognition necessarily makes someone better than another either. Tom Cleverly made about 20 England appearances and he was absolute toilet.

I'm pretty pleased with this signing although ideally would've preferred someone with more mobility. That said, John Eustace was certainly not quick but his knowhow & positioning was so good, he enabled others to play in the 13/14 side - am hoping Ledley has much the same impact & his record/experience certainly points to that.

Am more apprehensive about the prospect of Bradley Johnson being played further up the field. Lest we forget, his reintegration into the team was only after he was dropped for a lengthy spell after failing to impress in a more advanced position. His heavy touch, poor passing range & general sluggishness is not what we need - don't see a place for him in the starting XI if he isn't getting into the team as a DCM.

12 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Like I say, opinions game. I rated both of them and would rather have them both here than Ledley. I know it's a minority opinion, certainly on Butterfield but then, I rated him from day one. After watching Barnsley and Bristol breeze beyond our midfield in the last two games, let us hope Ledley is at least mobile and good at ball retention. Between Johnson's inability to pass and Huddlestone's inability to move, we need something.

I don't think international recognition necessarily makes someone better than another either. Tom Cleverly made about 20 England appearances and he was absolute toilet.

Nice to know your knowledge of football is superior to Sir Alex who played Cleverly 55 times But then again if you think Bryson and Butters are better than Ledley probably tells all we need to know but as they say its all about opinions 

20 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Still ahead of Hughes in the Watford pecking order. Strange game. 

Archived