Joe Ledley - Signed

RamFan13

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dare I say it, but, as long as the club is comfortably complying with FFP, then I don't really care what we're paying him.

All I care about is the results on the pitch, and the effort of each individual for 90 minutes.

As I've said before, if Ledley comes into this team and gives us the fight and grit we've lacked for genuinely years, then I'm all for it. 

8 minutes ago, hkrammm said:

If I remember correctly, SDSR said Huddlestone's contract makes him the club's highest earner. 

If Huddlestone and Davies are on 18k and 8k I eat my shorts. 

More importantly, no matter what wages they are on, signing Huddlestone, Davies, and Ledly is equivalent to signing three Darren Bent in one single transfer window. If it's McClaren who did it, it'd be a meltdown. 

Yeah I agree,but it won't be as extortionate at 40/45k, there is no way the club would sanction that. As long as the player is improving the team and squad, i'm not particularly bothered by the age in the short term, obviously you have to be planning for the long term and moving upon that in the coming windows. Signing players like Nugent and Carson in recent years have had a positive impact on the team, so I'm willing to wait and see how ledley will do. Also, to be fair to davies, I think he has had a relatively good start to the season, and that is shown by him being in the whoscored team of the season so far!

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

I'm sure everything I'm gonna say has already been said on here, but I'll say it anyway.

Not a fan of this move.

How have we managed to get ourselves into a position where we need to sign an ageing midfielder looking for his last payday?

At the start of the summer we had Gary Rowett saying that youth was the way forward and that you could expect a lot of energy from his side in the middle of the park. Now we have the slowest midfield in the league with Rowett having let go of all the youth, pace and energy we had in there and failed to replace it. Thorne, Johnson, Huddlestone and Ledley. I've seen faster glaciers than that lot. 

I don't think Ledley offers anything for us. Can he tackle? We've got Thorne and Johnson for that. Can he pass? We've got Huddlestone and Thorne for that. Can he work hard and press that opposition? We don't have anyone for that, but he can't do that either. He's always played best when surrounded by people who do the running for him.

Someone mentioned that Rowett is clearly in charge of transfers. Absolutely correct.

No Director of Football in his right mind would sanction signing a 30+ year old free agent on what will probably be a multi year contract.

A director of football might wonder why after all this talk of youth and energy our midfield is now significantly older and less energetic than it was at the start of the season.

And they might also wonder why after talking about youth and energy half of our signings this season (including this one) are over the age of 30. 

They might wonder why we now have to sign Joe Ledley on premier league wages (like two other players this season), when we had quite a few perfectly serviceable midfielders at the club already such as Bryson, Elsnik and Butterfield (depending on your disposition towards him).

In the words of Shania Twain, that don't impress me much.

Great post spot on complete waste of money 

Absolutely hate the buzzwords associated with this signing. 

"Fight"

"Grit"

"Battling"

Those intangibles that give 4-4-2 loving, Pogba hating, proper football men raging hard on's aren't much use if we're still being completely overrun by a mid-table outfit who have even a little bit of pace. He can't "battle" against a player who's 10 yards past him, can he? How much grit does it take to slow down their attacking mid?

Even though I've just taken the piss out of Mostyn for treating the fact that this is a panic signing as revelation but it really is. The absolute worst kind. 

I really don't see how this improves us too much? He's a cannier version of Johnson but we don't need that player.

We need an energetic DM who's tidy on the ball. That should be our number one priority in January but it won't be because we'll be full on DM's with no room to manoeuvre on the wage bill because we'll have four. Players on big wages who dropped down from the PL, the complete opposite of what Rowett supposedly wanted.

Rowett is currently averaging about 1.5 points a game. It comes out at 69 points at the end of the season. Not quite good enough for the play-off's but good enough to get us to January and have the top 6 still be within reaching distance. Wait until then and get a player who'll be considerably more valuable than Ledley in the long-term. We should be giving Guy and Hanson chances at making a claim otherwise why do we bother with this category one academy?

It's short-termism again. Same s****, different regime. I'm absolutely fed up of it.

Rowett's gone on about hungry players, young players, lower league players, players who want to play for Derby, players who aren't dropping down from the PL. He really seemed like someone who was more interested in the long-term health of the club than his own short-term success. That's what sold me on him despite being a massively disappointed McClaren fan.

But this move is just the same Derby that we've seen since January 2015. Veterans that are supposedly going to get us over the line this season. Don't stop and think about the wage bill we're racking up, don't think about what this does to us if we don't go up, just think about the PL!

And while I can have a go at Rowett for this ultimately Mel takes a lot of the blame. If Rowett feels the pressure to get into the top six this season is so bad that he has to chuck a contract at Ledley, who's still dining out on Euro 2016, then I wonder if anyone can get the club healthy again under him. And I've always said Mel is a great thing for this club.

The reason this riles me up so much is because that fourth midfield spot could be the most important position in this team. It needs to be an energetic player. The engine, the player who makes Huddlestone or Thorne look a class above anyone else in this league by doing their dirty work. It should be our priority in January. Someone young who can partner Thorne for years to come. Someone who can make the step up to the PL with us. Someone worth spending 5 or 6 million on.

It most certainly shouldn't be a free agent signing in his 30's who's barely played for the past year and most likely isn't going to be fully match fit or sharp for weeks.

I'm serious, what is the point of this other than satisfying 16 year olds who don't show their faces online and are under @ClinicalVydra on twitter and those members who only post in the transfer suggestion threads about signings Bakary Sako?

I usually end these rants by saying I'll be happy to say I'm wrong if he turns out to be a great signing but I hope he's s**** and we finally learn our lesson. Utter madness that I've hit a point where I miss Nigel Clough.

2 hours ago, feisty said:

You're saying Ledley is the difference between promotion or relegation battle.  He's that crucial????.

I think we'll be 12th to 6th whether we sign him or not. Think he'll make very little difference.  If he signs it'll be yet another move I disagree with.  But support him while he's here

I'd say that having an effective combative midfielder is the difference between finishing 16-20th and 4-8th.

Archived