Hayfever v Gluten Free

David

Hayfever v Gluten Free  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I'm currently gluten, lactose and alcohol free. Take carbs away from me and there is little point in living.

The battle is real.

I'll say it again (because my partner has IBS - the doctor says so), try probiotics to get your gut healthy. If you prefer you can get them as tablets, read some of the reviews on Amazon, lots of positives from IBS sufferers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I'll say it again (because my partner has IBS - the doctor says so), try probiotics to get your gut healthy. If you prefer you can get them as tablets, read some of the reviews on Amazon, lots of positives from IBS sufferers.

Yeah I saw your post, was going to look into it first before commenting, I'm a bit of a funny bugger tho I won't touch tablets at all I hate them to the point where I would take a risk without antibiotics if I thought I could get away with it. Last year I started to get over my phobia, started taking multivitamins, a week in taking one back when my head and the partial denture down my throat.

Safe to say my phobia and hate for all things chemically crushed is back. 

They reckon it's out and the stress has given me IBS, I'm not sure. I have been looking at loads of options, not heard of what you've mentioned before tho.

I was looking at meal replacement shakes the other day, was a post on here that reminded me, Huel it is, problem with that is it contains a lot of fibre, you have to be careful as too much fibre can make things worse, balancing can be the difference between IBS-C and IBS-D

1 minute ago, David said:

Safe to say my phobia and hate for all things chemically crushed is back. 

They reckon it's out and the stress has given me IBS, I'm not sure. I have been looking at loads of options, not heard of what you've mentioned before tho.

I was looking at meal replacement shakes the other day, was a post on here that reminded me, Huel it is, problem with that is it contains a lot of fibre, you have to be careful as too much fibre can make things worse, balancing can be the difference between IBS-C and IBS-D

OK I get where you're coming from. I'm not a fan of doctors tbh and always research their 'prescriptions' - ours recently gave protein pump inhibitors (basically very strong 'anti-acid' tabs) and aspirin to the OH as they'd got an awful migraine attack. Something they don't normally get. Anyway suffice it to say that when I looked into the drugs he couldn't have prescribed much worse for someone with IBS.

My opinion was that the IBS and migraine were linked and I googled for info on 'healthy gut' and probiotics. I'm not being awkward when I say I can't remember exact quotations/articles, just the gist now. But basically things like fermented foods (ie real probiotics as opposed to tablet form) can make a real difference to having a healthy gut - which has more something or other in it than the brain does, which is why we 'think with our stomachs'!

Anyway kefir can be bought in supermarkets - it's not got as many probiotics in it as making your own (which *is* incredibly easy). As for sourdough bread, it's also a fermented food and the way the sourdough starter ferments the bread has something to do with it being more digestible. Modern bread is made with an 'industrial' chemical yeast for speed of rising, not for eating.

The OH can now eat stuff like dhals and chilli's and chips (too much fat is a problem), but sensibly. And if there's a hint of an IBS bad reaction drinking more kefir calms it down. We also take probiotic tablets on holiday now, as they seem to help.

Just thought it's something to try, not necessarily a miracle cure. And of course can be tasty - if you like fermented foods such a kimchi and sauerkraut!

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

OK I get where you're coming from. I'm not a fan of doctors tbh and always research their 'prescriptions' - ours recently gave protein pump inhibitors (basically very strong 'anti-acid' tabs) and aspirin to the OH as they'd got an awful migraine attack. Something they don't normally get. Anyway suffice it to say that when I looked into the drugs he couldn't have prescribed much worse for someone with IBS.

My opinion was that the IBS and migraine were linked and I googled for info on 'healthy gut' and probiotics. I'm not being awkward when I say I can't remember exact quotations/articles, just the gist now. But basically things like fermented foods (ie real probiotics as opposed to tablet form) can make a real difference to having a healthy gut - which has more something or other in it than the brain does, which is why we 'think with our stomachs'!

Anyway kefir can be bought in supermarkets - it's not got as many probiotics in it as making your own (which *is* incredibly easy). As for sourdough bread, it's also a fermented food and the way the sourdough starter ferments the bread has something to do with it being more digestible. Modern bread is made with an 'industrial' chemical yeast for speed of rising, not for eating.

The OH can now eat stuff like dhals and chilli's and chips (too much fat is a problem), but sensibly. And if there's a hint of an IBS bad reaction drinking more kefir calms it down. We also take probiotic tablets on holiday now, as they seem to help.

Just thought it's something to try, not necessarily a miracle cure. And of course can be tasty - if you like fermented foods such a kimchi and sauerkraut!

I had a NHS season ticket as a kid, I was in there every few months getting stitched up, bandaged, strapped up didn't bother me in the slightest. Come to Grimsby and I try and avoid all medical "professionals" the best I can, all started when I went about anxiety, explained how I get a bit freaked in crowded places, came away with tablets told to take with every meal, don't ever stop taking them, make sure I let them know if I feel like I don't want them anymore.

Well my fear of tablets sent me straight to Google, turns out they put me on super strong anti depressants that would turn me into a zombie, went back to the chemist thought they must have got them mixed up, nope definitely anti depressants. Strong ones at that, was a little surprised I was prescribed them having not been on any before.

The calamities continue, in a drunken state I was trying out my MMA skills, sadly they are lacking greatly and at 2am my wrist made a sickly crunch. Hospital 4hr wait, dislocated it, we need to snap it back into place. By this point I was sobering up and asked for forgiveness, let me go away and come back fresh for this. Stuck a cast on and told to come back in 48hrs. I returned, another X Ray and was told it was fractured not dislocated, cast back on. 6 weeks later return for a check up and remove the cast, x ray showed it was never broken but sprained apparently, despite me and my mate pointing an obvious crack in my wrist still on the wall. Doctor went for a second opinion and I was fitted with a brace for another month.

One if the reasons I voted Labour this year, not because I like the idea of students having a free piss up but to get some money back in the NHS, even if it means more tax when the Conservatives come in to clear their mess up.

Doctors diagnosed me with IBS, I didn't really believe him at first, did research and everything lines up, everything he said being there is no cure, no magic wand, could prescribe me something to help with the stress which may help but you would be far better dealing with it yourself with my tablet phobia as that could make it worse.

Pretty much trial and error with foods, because I've found a place where my gut is relatively happy I've stuck to this limited diet, scared to put my arse through anything new.

Funny thing is this morning posting about this, just had what felt like a kick in the guts, went to toilet and dropped the mother of all turds, after a mysterious ghost poo the other day this one stuck around to be photographed, not had one like that before in my life. 

They say talking helps :lol: 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Pretty much trial and error with foods, because I've found a place where my gut is relatively happy I've stuck to this limited diet, scared to put my arse through anything new.

Funny thing is this morning posting about this, just had what felt like a kick in the guts, went to toilet and dropped the mother of all turds, after a mysterious ghost poo the other day this one stuck around to be photographed, not had one like that before in my life. 

They say talking helps :lol: 

Of course talking helps, but sometimes you give too much information! :D Perhaps your diet needs a bit of help!

In my effort to find a link between migraine and IBS I found a site with pictures of what your (healthy and unhealthy) poo should look like - if I come across it again I'll post it up for you!

Do some research on the gut, it's quite amazing. I think the OHs IBS is stress-related. One of the things that makes medical problems worse I find is the stress of not knowing what is wrong - often having a diagnosis can help with stress. As for not taking tablets, well I think lots of people have a dislike but you've understandably gone one step further. But you can get probiotics in capsule form that you can sprinkle onto water, or even some in liquid form - if you want to try probiotics but not in food form.

Just some rambling comments, hope the ideas help.

This stuff is really tasty (but pricey as it's organic), but most of the supermarkets sell (Polish) kefir (shop bought just doesn't have as many varieties of probiotic in).

http://biotifuldairy.com/kefir-health-benefits/

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course talking helps, but sometimes you give too much information! :D Perhaps your diet needs a bit of help!

In my effort to find a link between migraine and IBS I found a site with pictures of what your (healthy and unhealthy) poo should look like - if I come across it again I'll post it up for you!

Do some research on the gut, it's quite amazing. I think the OHs IBS is stress-related. One of the things that makes medical problems worse I find is the stress of not knowing what is wrong - often having a diagnosis can help with stress. As for not taking tablets, well I think lots of people have a dislike but you've understandably gone one step further. But you can get probiotics in capsule form that you can sprinkle onto water, or even some in liquid form - if you want to try probiotics but not in food form.

Just some rambling comments, hope the ideas help.

This stuff is really tasty (but pricey as it's organic), but most of the supermarkets sell (Polish) kefir (shop bought just doesn't have as many varieties of probiotic in).

http://biotifuldairy.com/kefir-health-benefits/

My phone is disgustingly full of pictures of turds, I've not got some weird fetish but just to monitor them with a food diary. I've even weighed myself before and after just to see how much they weigh ?

There's even a sub Reddit you can go on where people post there's, found myself comparing from time to time asking am I normal.

I've read a ton on the gut over the last few months, kinda got bored now, accepted my limited diet and focusing on staying stress free, won't change over night but keep woosahing and hope for the best

5 minutes ago, David said:

I've read a ton on the gut over the last few months, kinda got bored now, accepted my limited diet and focusing on staying stress free, won't change over night but keep woosahing and hope for the best

Perhaps your reading has concentrated on the wrong bit of the gut! Do try kefir (or other probiotics/fermented foods) it really helps.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/probiotics/Pages/Introduction.aspx

@David, have you ever tried peppermint oil, or ask the doctor to try Vitamin B12 injections. 

Missus had loads of problem with her guts, after cameras up and down they came up with the b12 injections every 3 months. 

It's made a massive difference.

50 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well, it's sometimes on a 3 for £5. It is very pleasant and I understand it's not compulsory to drink vast quantities of alcohol?

Isn't it?

Nobody told me that? Them bloody crafty landlords!!

22 hours ago, David said:

I'm down to just meat basically, you need to eat a ton of meat to get those calories in, eat too much meat and your stools are like rocks.

....and the bi-product of all the protein is ammonia. You could end up with bowel cancer. 

Gluten, lactose and alcohol free doesn't mean meat only.

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Missus had loads of problem with her guts, after cameras up and down they came up with the b12 injections every 3 months.

Any footage?

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

....and the bi-product of all the protein is ammonia. You could end up with bowel cancer. 

Gluten, lactose and alcohol free doesn't mean meat only.

Gluten, lactose and alcohol free is just part of the foodmap diet they tell you to follow with IBS, these just cover small areas. There's a huge list of other fruits, vegetables and things that are in foods to avoid. If followed strictly you're down to meat with selected veg 

I suffer from hayfever, it's mostly grass pollen that affects me. I just get on with it, it's a little uncomfortable but not life-threatening. I suffered from a 'slipped' disc and agonising sciatica for a couple of years and that didn't keep me off work or stop me from making the most of life so a snuffle and itchy eyes aren't going to.

I do pity anyone who is gluten intolerant what a joyless existence that must be. I am rather partial to my gluten and make my own glutenful breads several times a week.

Archived