Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually rate the guy, just not defensively!

Some games he's actually been our biggest attacking threat when he cuts in and takes people on.

It's just a shame he's never really kicked on from the great start he had when he first came. Didn't he have loads of assists in his first like 10 games?

PistoldPete2

He's a more attacking option than wisdom so it's between him and Anya for the attacking full back option. Whichever we can get the highest fee for we should get rid of. 

6 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Really think it's time to for him to move on

Spoiled because of the preference to play Ince who I've indicated in my previous threads (months ago and not just recently) cannot play with a forward playing right back. This is why Ince is not suited to many prem clubs, any that play 3 at the back (old style 5 really) just cannot support his style ( and in my estimation poor positional play.)

I do hope we keep Cyrus as he really is better than most RB's in the prem. and he can only get better.

6 hours ago, Ryan O'Meara said:

Most importantly, he's just not very good at defending

Most importantly most decent forward roaming RB's wouldn't be (very good at defending) if Keogh is behind you and your CDM doesn't play into the CB position. Usually caused by the Right winger not understanding where to be when the RB overlaps and then losing the ball in the opponents half. Please don't troll me before you analyse what I'm saying; please think of all the instances when this happened. 

Baird excelled at playing RB because he never went too far, never went into the RW position and covered the gaps if the ball was lost further up the pitch.

This was another example of the team being unbalanced, if the team was balanced the RB could go up the pitch, overlap and the defensive cover would be positionally, by the CB and CDM.

12 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

Spoiled because of the preference to play Ince who I've indicated in my previous threads (months ago and not just recently) cannot play with a forward playing right back. This is why Ince is not suited to many prem clubs, any that play 3 at the back (old style 5 really) just cannot support his style ( and in my estimation poor positional play.)

I do hope we keep Cyrus as he really is better than most RB's in the prem. and he can only get better.

Most importantly most decent forward roaming RB's wouldn't be (very good at defending) if Keogh is behind you and your CDM doesn't play into the CB position. Usually caused by the Right winger not understanding where to be when the RB overlaps and then losing the ball in the opponents half. Please don't troll me before you analyse what I'm saying; please think of all the instances when this happened. 

Baird excelled at playing RB because he never went too far, never went into the RW position and covered the gaps if the ball was lost further up the pitch.

This was another example of the team being unbalanced, if the team was balanced the RB could go up the pitch, overlap and the defensive cover would be positionally, by the CB and CDM.

Which premier league right backs are worse than Christie?

I've already said I could see him covering Trippier if Walker moves on, but I'd find it hard to believe he's in the best 10 right backs in the country.

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Which premier league right backs are worse than Christie?

I've already said I could see him covering Trippier if Walker moves on, but I'd find it hard to believe he's in the best 10 right backs in the country.

You really think Christie is anywhere close to a level good enough for Tottenham? I don't see it. Pochettino tends to put faith in his players, and even if they're backups they start a couple of games. Christie isn't good enough to start for Tottenham.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You really think Christie is anywhere close to a level good enough for Tottenham? I don't see it. Pochettino tends to put faith in his players, and even if they're backups they start a couple of games. Christie isn't good enough to start for Tottenham.

I don't think he's that far off a back up role, in a very attack minded side.

A spell on the sidelines, watching and working with better players may see him improve. It won't happen here obviously, as his two competitors are very different players, and I'm not saying he's Prem class in waiting.

I'm saying that 3 years of championship football hasn't elicited any notable improvement, and I wouldn't see that improving any, moving to another side at our level. 

It's just a gut feeling I have, that in a better, more attacking side, he could certainly impress in small bursts.

42 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

One of the best right backs in the country? He's not even in the best 10 in the championship.

His decision making, passing and positional sense are all really poor.

He would be ok as an option on the bench but that's it.

30 minutes ago, sage said:

One of the best right backs in the country? He's not even in the best 10 in the championship.

We always disagree @sage and I think you and me have a different view of football although I'm no spring chicken so I don't see you as more than a peer that has a different view, although sadly you do not always appear to appreciate or perhaps value the full technicalities of the strategic balance of the game in the way that I do. I see football more as a balance of players against positions and shape on the pitch. From my view the positional play issues some talk about with CC are to do with a lack of balance within the side (and are not his fault) and indeed I think GR  appears to feel that, although he may have a different view due to him seeing what players can do and their attitudes on the training pitch.

Christie started the year as our best player (obviously not all agree so my sentiments) until his injury forced him down at the Wolves match, he was very consistent and gave the club so much width and extra attacking play.

I am not trying to say that he would be a Spurs player but given a good run and a good manager he is equal if not better than Trippier and on the International front others appear to agree.

Three years of un-supporting, under developing management have not been to his advantage; what he needs is a structured team, that has game plan, along with management that can cajole and support and bring out the best of the lesser starlets that have been pushed into the wings (no pun intended) by our big-buy prima donnas.

9 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

We always disagree @sage and I think you and me have a different view of football although I'm no spring chicken so I don't see you as more than a peer that has a different view, although sadly you do not always appear to appreciate or perhaps value the full technicalities of the strategic balance of the game in the way that I do. I see football more as a balance of players against positions and shape on the pitch. From my view the positional play issues some talk about with CC are to do with a lack of balance within the side (and are not his fault) and indeed I think GR  appears to feel that, although he may have a different view due to him seeing what players can do and their attitudes on the training pitch.

Christie started the year as our best player (obviously not all agree so my sentiments) until his injury forced him down at the Wolves match, he was very consistent and gave the club so much width and extra attacking play.

I am not trying to say that he would be a Spurs player but given a good run and a good manager he is equal if not better than Trippier and on the International front others appear to agree.

Three years of un-supporting, under developing management have not been to his advantage; what he needs is a structured team, that has game plan, along with management that can cajole and support and bring out the best of the lesser starlets that have been pushed into the wings (no pun intended) by our big-buy prima donnas.

All of which begs the question, what's your favourite curry?

7 hours ago, Lokidoki said:

Wow

Thanks for your help. Obviously I'm so stupid I dont look at formations and balance and only concentrate on individuals.

Now it's been explained to me i can see what you mean about Christie being better than Trippier.

Obviously all those expert managers in the Premier League will share your view and i eagerly await the £10m bids that fully recognise the value of a top full back. 

26 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Better than Trippier?! This forum really is out of touch with reality sometimes.

I can see the logic in his argument, yes Christie has the attributes of many premier league full backs. Whether any manager has the ability to get that out of him consistently is doubtful though 

5 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I can see the logic in his argument, yes Christie has the attributes of many premier league full backs. Whether any manager has the ability to get that out of him consistently is doubtful though 

He is missing one important attribute. A footballing brain.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He is missing one important attribute. A footballing brain.

So are most the premier league footballers these days, if he could do the basics: run, defend, cross consistently then maybe he would be prem quality. 

Reality is consistency makes the player

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

So are most the premier league footballers these days, if he could do the basics: run, defend, cross consistently then maybe he would be prem quality. 

Reality is consistency makes the player

The problem is, he can only do one of those things consistently, which isn't enough to make it in the premier league.

Everyone is in agreement his attacking game is his strength and he can't defend well. I disagree, the amount of runs he goes on.. gets to the byline and doesn't deliver a good cross means he's not that good at that either. I'd prefer a full back who can defend, we have plenty of firepower going forward. I liked him, but it's just time he moved on, he's not really improved his game enough and we'd get a suitable fee of around 2mil for him. I presume Wisdom has been brought in to replace him 

45 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Better than Trippier?! This forum really is out of touch with reality sometimes.

Ridiculous to say as good, never mind better than Trippier!.

He's a bang average, inconsistent, championship level full back. nothing more, nothing less.

On his day he's good, but he's too inconsistent for me & if we are changing our style of play I don't think he'll be of much use to us.

Archived