Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts on fee we may see? With prices being so varied, but mainly growing in size in past year, I would think a similar fee to Wisdom (£2mill plus with add ons) he's an international, but hasn't played above the Champ yet

1 minute ago, Uptherams said:

He is a young international. It may sound barmy but £8m is the kind of figure we can get for him in this market. Obviously that will have to come from a Prem team. 

Not a snowballs' chance in Hell of getting that size of fee - anymore than £2m and we'll be doing well.

9 minutes ago, BottrillRAM said:

I rate Christie, play him in the back 4 with Wisdom, Davies and Fozzy. 

That back 4 look really decent IMO. 

Well it looks like we are looking to sell then!

if QPR want him we will get paid next to nothing and Reading ( where he could do quite well) will not want to pay much either

£2 million would be very nice but for an international attacking full back with lots of championship experience and still young I would want much more but we won't get it.

Christie is such a confidence player it's unreal . There is obviously some ability there but he has failed to show it too much , so frustrating to watch at times too ! Really think it's time to for him to move on . Reading would suit with him with the winger back system they play .

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well it looks like we are looking to sell then!

if QPR want him we will get paid next to nothing and Reading ( where he could do quite well) will not want to pay much either

£2 million would be very nice but for an international attacking full back with lots of championship experience and still young I would want much more but we won't get it.

Put it into perspective though , what have we just paid for Wisdom ? 

He's obviously a decent fullback at this level, but it's probably worthwhile taking a step back and looking at his strengths and weaknesses.. 

Strengths:

Pace, reasonable height (not that he's particularly good in the air), and dribbling (although he often ends up overplaying and either running into a blind alley or getting surrounded. 

Weaknesses:

Most importantly, he's just not very good at defending. He's not particularly strong at tackling, and he doesn't really have a footballing brain. His crossing is also absolutely terrible 8 times out of 10. 

It's no surprise Rowett has preferred the safer option in Baird, who is better at defending AND also excellent at crossing the ball 

28 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I always thought Christie had loads of potential and would've liked to keep him. It'd be nice to have a sell on clause for a chunk of his next sale just in case he progresses into a £20m badass.

That is actually a really good idea. Full backs are becoming wing backs more often in modern football, especially as more teams adopt 3 at the back. As a result the position is moving from one of the least important to potential game changer. Teams will start to pay more as a result for a wing back. If Cyrus has a stellar season, and continues to earn caps and recognition internationally, his value could increase quite rapidly. 

Now I'm not saying £20mill, but certainly big enough that we could benefit from a sell on clause

In the right system he can be really good, and really effective but he does have limitations.

Also seems to struggle with confidence which can take a while to build up.

Definately more of a wingback than a full back, and should be deployed as such to get the best out of him.

50 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

In the right system he can be really good, and really effective but he does have limitations.

Also seems to struggle with confidence which can take a while to build up.

Definately more of a wingback than a full back, and should be deployed as such to get the best out of him.

Surely one of the main requirements of a wing back is the ability to deliver a quality cross since the opportunity to overlap will be more frequent than it is in a back four system. Unfortunately it's not one of Christie's strengths.

Archived