Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

this would be akin to when we bought Savage in. Decent footballing brain and good honest pro, but like Savage, the game would pass him by.

Except that we would be asking him to screen the 2 centre backs a la Eustace, rather than run around flapping his stupid hair about whilst pointlessly trying (and failing) to close down the opposition goalkeeper.

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Or perhaps akin to Eustace? 

Eustace was a tackler. Whelan is more of a Butterfield, or Hendrick type.

6 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Except that we would be asking him to screen the 2 centre backs a la Eustace, rather than run around flapping his stupid hair about whilst pointlessly trying (and failing) to close down the opposition goalkeeper.

Been watching Whelan since his Wednesday days, and trust me, he's not physical enough for that role.

5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Harsh assessment.

maybe, but that's the player he is.

31 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Eustace was a tackler. Whelan is more of a Butterfield, or Hendrick type.

Been watching Whelan since his Wednesday days, and trust me, he's not physical enough for that role.

maybe, but that's the player he is.

Agreed. I don't know which Whelan people have seen, but the one I've seen likes to get forward and get shots off whilst playing safe and square, retaining possession. He's not a defensive player, a tackler nor is he great in the air. 

Would add experience though and I'm not saying he's poor. I just don't see him as an upgrade on what we already have so unless we are moving one or two on, I don't see the point. But then, I'm one of the few it seems that rates Butters and Johnson.

4 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Not for me. Not an improvement in an area in which we are already over-stocked. 

Hendrick looked amazing in the Euros when playing in a Irish team with Whelan and other Whelan type player in the holding midfield 2.

Thats reason enough to suggest its EXACTLY what we have been missing.

Whelan is a good pro and a good character to have around. However I've seen him play lots of times for ROI and he is a very limited player, a very defensive and conservative minded footballer with a limited range of passing and not a great ball winner in all honesty. His game bears no resemblance at all to Hughes, so to speak of him as a replacement doesn't make any sense. 

Obviously the championship is a lower level than he has been used to for a while, but at his age, it would be an extremely uninspired purchase in my opinion. 

Not seen enough of him to make a fair judgement but if it's true he s not really a game reading ,tough tackling defensive  midfielder then I'm not sure he fits the bill in terms of bringing more balance and steel to our team/squad

I'd be happy with Whelan, but it's another linked player that flies in the face of what Rowett said he wanted to bring in over the summer. 

We definitely need to add a bit of substance in midfield. I can't remember how many games last season that seemed to pass us by the middle of the park. Hughes, as good as he is, is prone to be passive. The same with Butterfield. Bryson isn't the player he once was, unfortunately, therefore I feel like we are waiting on Throne to get to full fitness. 

I would like us to find someone like Whelan, but younger, which I'm sure is possible but it needs a bit of scouting.  

10 hours ago, archied said:

Not seen enough of him to make a fair judgement but if it's true he s not really a game reading ,tough tackling defensive  midfielder then I'm not sure he fits the bill in terms of bringing more balance and steel to our team/squad

He's definitely tough tackling. For that reason I think we should be interested.

If he's good enough to play for 250 games in the Prem and play for Mark Hughes,he'd be fine for us.33 isn't that "old" ffs and he'd do a good job for at least 2/3 seasons.Rowett's teams aren't always pretty to watch but they are hard to beat.He would add some grit to a midfield that has underperformed and been hit by injuries.

With the players that we are bringing in and that are being linked with. It's very clear that Rowett wants a very solid unit that makes the team hard to beat. We don't want to be how we've been per sieved over the past 4 years, Basically "We'll score more than you". 

Whelan would be an excellent signing if that's the type of squad we're going for. 

Would also be a bonus that we're taking him off Villa's target list instead of the other way around this time. 

32 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

A few weeks ago I didn't want anyone above the age of 30 being signed. Problem is these players actually do make sense.. I can imagine us having a full 30+ age though eventually!

Adding in Nugent and what he showed toward the end of last season it adresses the issues nicely for Me We aren't going to be able to tear the squad apart but these additions change the mentality.

So what if they only have a season or 2 left, it's not like we're paying through the nose and you'd hope by the time they need to be playing less often there will be ready made replacements. E.g. when Davies moves on Wisdom is in his prime and commands our defence alongside Davies' eventual replacement.  

Imagine chucking away £5m on Hanley and another £5m on yet another bang average midfielder instead and no culture change.

Archived