Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

20 minutes ago, David said:

What will be will be. If we want him I can't see the price getting away from us, it's not like Kodjia who they could push up out of our range. If he turns what we offer him down then so be it, maybe we could drop out if they let us have Jedinak or another of last summer's signings on the cheap. Are we sure they don't want Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield or any of our lot?

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, StringerBell said:

You'll get to see those other factors a lot more than me as I don't get to see the Rams live as much as I'd like to. I'd strongly agree with that last one though. He plays some good balls actually, but also too many loose passes and getting tackled in dangerous areas (a fit Thorne really is the complete package playing that position).

From what I'd have Johnson as our best option as a single DCM after Thorne though. When Johnson first started playing that role in any scrappy game our central defenders hardly had to do anything, Johnson just mopped everything up by winning practically every 50/50.

A lot of this probably won't matter as I don't think we'll play the 4-3-3 now. Which I think is a shame. If Rowett wants to press high though you never know, we did that in McClarens first stint.

I agree that he is currently the best option to play at CDM on the books behind but for me that means we should to look to move him and bring in somebody more reliable and accustomed to the role. 

I dont think that we will be completely scrapping 433 going forwards, in fact we may utilise it a fair bit. When Rowett was on moan-in at the end of the season he said that they'd be looking primarily play a 4231 or a 433 next season.

32 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I agree that he is currently the best option to play at CDM on the books behind but for me that means we should to look to move him and bring in somebody more reliable and accustomed to the role. 

I dont think that we will be completely scrapping 433 going forwards, in fact we may utilise it a fair bit. When Rowett was on moan-in at the end of the season he said that they'd be looking primarily play a 4231 or a 433 next season.

That's good to hear. The four Derby players I enjoy watching most (Hughes, Martin, Thorne and Ince) are all suited to 4-3-3. If they're all still here that is.

Would be a great signing. 

Only time he wasn't a regular was in his first season with Stoke.

Can guarantee a full season or two out of him. Something we've desperately needed in the middle of the park for last two seasons.

We need a $hithouse of a midfielder on the books 

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

That's good to hear. The four Derby players I enjoy watching most (Hughes, Martin, Thorne and Ince) are all suited to 4-3-3. If they're all still here that is.

I too really hope we shall line up with those 4 players next year in a 433.

Some people have a totally unrealistic idea of what an ageing Whelan would bring to Derby IMO. I've been watching him for years playing for ROI, and apart from passing the ball slowly backwards and sideways and running slowly around the pitch, there isn't much else to his game. He will tackle an opponent if he can catch up with them, which really isn't that often. Lack of height and athleticism means he's not much good at attacking or defending set pieces. He's definitely not the 'enforcer' some people seem to think he is.

Would be a seriously uninspired purchase in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Some people have a totally unrealistic idea of what an ageing Whelan would bring to Derby IMO. I've been watching him for years playing for ROI, and apart from passing the ball slowly backwards and sideways and running slowly around the pitch, there isn't much else to his game. He will tackle an opponent if he can catch up with them, which really isn't that often. Lack of height and athleticism means he's not much good at attacking or defending set pieces. He's definitely not the 'enforcer' some people seem to think he is.

Would be a seriously uninspired purchase in my opinion.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but if he offered that little why would he still be playing 30 games a season for Stoke, especially when considering they have Imbula who plays the same position and cost 18 million. Martin O'Neil must see something in him too. 

For 1 million, surely it's worth just getting him in, if just as a rotation option at the very least. I imagine his contribution in the dressing room would repay that figure alone 

Glenn whelan is a very good player and the type of player that can be the difference between getting promotion and not.

Every season we are linked to a 30 something player, who is written off for being too old. We usually miss out on them anyway and the end up at other clubs, who usually end up fairing slightly better than us.

It was Dean Whitehead last year who ended up at Huddersfield and is now a premiership player.

1 hour ago, Ryan O'Meara said:

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but if he offered that little why would he still be playing 30 games a season for Stoke, especially when considering they have Imbula who plays the same position and cost 18 million. Martin O'Neil must see something in him too. 

For 1 million, surely it's worth just getting him in, if just as a rotation option at the very least. I imagine his contribution in the dressing room would repay that figure alone 

As a rotation option, we could do worse I'm sure, but there are people who think Whelan is the difference between promotion and not getting promoted. He is an extremely limited footballer, who is on the decline, what is there to get excited about? Can't see what he would bring that GT and BJ wouldn't...and i can see plenty that they have and Whelan doesn't. To be fair to O'Neill, he doesn't have an embarrassment of riches to work with in the midfield department (or any department for that matter).

22 minutes ago, Highgate said:

As a rotation option, we could do worse I'm sure, but there are people who think Whelan is the difference between promotion and not getting promoted. He is an extremely limited footballer, who is on the decline, what is there to get excited about? Can't see what he would bring that GT and BJ wouldn't...and i can see plenty that they have and Whelan doesn't. To be fair to O'Neill, he doesn't have an embarrassment of riches to work with in the midfield department (or any department for that matter).

Granted he is probably now over the hill slightly, although players who don't rely on athleticism age a lot better than those who do, but surely the fact he has played 30 or more premier league games for the last 9 seasons in a mid-table premier league side suggests he does offer more than Bradley Johnson who no Premier League side has chosen to buy. (In fact one that got promoted chose to sell!!)

I'm no expert on Glenn Whelan as a footballer but that statistic alone tells me he's probably better than what we've got.

My only reservation with this is the current average age of the squad in general. However out of all the positions that age and experience are required, DM, CB and GK are probably the ones where you'd like an older head.

21 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I agree with this, in fact Hanson could do just the same.

Slow, can't beat anyone, can't pass and can't tackle. Sounds like John McGovern. I'm told. I'm not quite old enough.

You all reckon he's crap. Have you considered how he'll perform once he's stepped down a level from being a regular starter in the big boy league? Remember we ain't a top 10 Premier League team. Maybe his abilities will shine in the second tier?

51 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Johnson isn't a natural DM - He got over-excited too often last season and got pulled out of position when he wasn't concentrating

I don't think ANYONE thinks he'd be first choice every week and the single player who would make every difference

BUT - The second McClaren season we got found out because we didn't have a proper DM - We went from Eustace and Thorne to Mascarell for most of the run in - Our squad depth was found out - And for me someone in the Eustace mould (ie, limited going forward but solid defensively) is exactly what we need to backup Thorne

55 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I agree with this, in fact Hanson could do just the same.

Hanson hasn't done 9 seasons in the Prem and was in and out of a Team that got relegated from the championship this season whilst out on loan. 

1 hour ago, needles said:

Slow, can't beat anyone, can't pass and can't tackle. Sounds like John McGovern. I'm told. I'm not quite old enough.

John McGovern lifted the European cup albeit for a non mentionable side lol

16 minutes ago, superzak said:

John McGovern lifted the European cup albeit for a non mentionable side lol

What I was getting at was that players in midfield that can look unflashy but knit things together can be gold dust, changing a bunch good players into a good team.

I don't watch Prem football and I don't watch RoI as a rule, but from the sounds of Whelan I'd be delighted to sign him.

Like most on here, im not a stoke sth and so not in a position to fully comment on his abilities.

having seen him a handful of times he strikes me as a steady eddie, 7 out of 10 player week in week out, no more no less.

im sure many thought the same about matt oakley when he arrived but he was an outstanding signing for us

sometimes u need the odd player that is perhaps limited but plays and fashions a successful career by knowing those limitations, but offers leadship, consistencey and a proffesional application, be that care of the ball or simply that desire to succeed and make sure those around them share that mentality

whilst it wouldnt get me partying in the street if we signed him, like oakley he'd probably prove to be invaluable 

Archived