Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does surprise me that we continue to be linked with this type of player. Given recent spending and the obvious need to be more prudent, to add another player in his thirties dropping down a division on Premier League wages seems counter-intuitive, whether it be Boyd, or indeed Whelan. This is especially true given that we are seemingly finding it hard to move players in the existing squad on and so, the wage bill could quickly reach unsustainable levels, if it hasn't already?!

It's probably a fair estimate to say we already have at least 15 players earning £20,000 a week or more, so I just don't see the sense in adding to that number until we see movement in the opposite direction.

Don't get me wrong, Whelan would tick a lot of boxes - he would be a short term fix to a long term problem we have had in midfield, and in all fairness, you can't argue with his pedigree of almost a decade of Premier League football and well over 50 caps for Ireland on his CV.

He would bring a lot of the qualities we have lacked over the years - leadership, tenacity, bravery and know-how - but it's a very short term move. He'd be excellent value for a season or two and the move would probably follow a similar trajectory to how Sidwell has done at Brighton. But what about beyond that? 

Where are the building blocks for the future? It just doesn't seem to be in line with the profile of player I expected Rowett to sign - young, hungry, athletic, up-and-coming, and unheralded in most cases. That's the worrying thing. How many 'leaders' does one team need?

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It does surprise me that we continue to be linked with this type of player. Given recent spending and the obvious need to be more prudent, to add another player in his thirties dropping down a division on Premier League wages seems counter-intuitive, whether it be Boyd, or indeed Whelan. This is especially true given that we are seemingly finding it hard to move players in the existing squad on and so, the wage bill could quickly reach unsustainable levels, if it hasn't already?!

It's probably a fair estimate to say we already have at least 15 players earning £20,000 a week or more, so I just don't see the sense in adding to that number until we see movement in the opposite direction.

Don't get me wrong, Whelan would tick a lot of boxes - he would be a short term fix to a long term problem we have had in midfield, and in all fairness, you can't argue with his pedigree of almost a decade of Premier League football and well over 50 caps for Ireland on his CV.

He would bring a lot of the qualities we have lacked over the years - leadership, tenacity, bravery and know-how - but it's a very short term move. He'd be excellent value for a season or two and the move would probably follow a similar trajectory to how Sidwell has done at Brighton. But what about beyond that? 

Where are the building blocks for the future? It just doesn't seem to be in line with the profile of player I expected Rowett to sign - young, hungry, athletic, up-and-coming, and unheralded in most cases. That's the worrying thing. How many 'leaders' does one team need?

I have no idea about the financial intricacies but I agree entirely about squad size. It's just getting ridiculous now. On a footballing front, if this was to happen and with the signing of Wisdom and Davis. I think we may be looking at copying the Chelsea formation. With Whalen and Thorne as holders. 

I have always despised Glenn Whelan as a player for all the reasons he might be good for Derby!

If we get him we will need some young legs to support him. I wonder if this makes the Watkins and Irvine transfers more likely?

I think we could lose Bryson and Butterfield as well as Hughes and Ince. A big change of emphasis and a more steely look to the side supplemented by pace and energy.

It is a little odd that Davies, Boyd and Whelan represent all the things Rowett said he didn't want.

There's no doubt about it, this would be a fantastic deal! Gives us an extra bit of bite in the middle and played most if his career in the premier league. 

With regards to the 15 players sitting on 20k plus a week, we'll get them out just be patient and give Rowett time. He made a valid point at the end of the season, players don't usually like to sit in the reserves too long. If we wrapped this deal up the squad will be near off 30 pros, some will want to leave naturally.

An excellent choice someone who has seen it and done it at the highest level for many years. I better version of JE, a motivater, organiser and leader.

A player of his type has been needed for a few years especially with Thorne's unfortunate injury problems. We would certainly become even tougher to beat.

Blimey! Universal approval so far.I like the thought of him in our midfield as well.Villa have offered £500k and Stoke want £1m.It's easy for us to spend Mel's millions but,even though he's 33,he'd be a really good signing.As someone has already said,the replacement for Eustace we've lacked for ages.

Yes please, age not an issue for me especially as he's a holding midfielder.

~£1m with a 2 year contract + 1 year option would be perfect.

He's 13 months younger than Sidwell who did a brilliant job with Brighton last season and has just signed a new contract with them.

Sounds interesting and from what I've seen on here he looks a popular choice but we are pretty overweight in the middle already so if this is true then who's leaving ? .. Doesn't seem to have been any gossip about anyone leaving except Will which from an age balance point of view (quite apart from skill set ) seems unlikely.

So Hughes out and whelan in - not for me

33 year olds want to play and nobody seems to be fixed in central midfield currently- I think we will have a mixed bag of Johnson Thorne Bryson and butterfield fo two spots and currently Hughes who would be replaced by whelan? Do we need another defensive midfielder? 

Archived