Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people keep thinking Whelan is a replacement for Hughes? Purely down to the fact the both player centre mid?

We have needed someone like Whelan ever since Eustace left and that was with Hughes still in the squads so I doubt this is a replacement but i'm sure if Hughes is the only CM to go and Whelan is the only CM to come in people will say Whelan is his replacement despite their differences in style.

48 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

With the players that we are bringing in and that are being linked with. It's very clear that Rowett wants a very solid unit that makes the team hard to beat. We don't want to be how we've been per sieved over the past 4 years, Basically "We'll score more than you". 

Whelan would be an excellent signing if that's the type of squad we're going for. 

Would also be a bonus that we're taking him off Villa's target list instead of the other way around this time. 

Even if it's spell check, our defence has certainly "seived "over recent years! 

I can see the logic in this but am getting nervous that in the same breath we are talking about Hughes and Ince both leaving

So we end up with a tidy efficient team that lacks game changers - Top 10 for sure, Top 6 maybe but ripping the league apart ? 

@jono - If we manage to keep Ince and get players like Whelan and Boyd in, who can do the dirty work and make us hard to play against. Then we will be one of the best teams in the league and challenging for top 2. If we let Ince go and don't replace him with another flare player like him, we'll be the stoke of the championship, stuck in mid table, too goo to go down, but too bad to challenge up top. 

5 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

@jono - If we manage to keep Ince and get players like Whelan and Boyd in, who can do the dirty work and make us hard to play against. Then we will be one of the best teams in the league and challenging for top 2. If we let Ince go and don't replace him with another flare player like him, we'll be the stoke of the championship, stuck in mid table, too goo to go down, but too bad to challenge up top. 

That is precisely what I meant :) - completely agree... we don't need a team full of tricksters and genius material but we need some stardust in the mix. 

Why does everyone assume an unfashionable, English (he's so Irish Leicester Ram, you genuine tool) midfielder is always a great character to have in the dressing room?

Glenn Whelan could be an utter knobend looking for a pay check for all we know but he doesn't wax his hair so he must be a really honest professional and all around nice guy.

I really don't get peoples reactions to these sort of links too. When it looks like we're selling Ince, Keogh and Hughes people are sayimg 'yeah maybe we need a culture change around the club'.

WHAT? Is selling Keogh, the most passionate player at the club, Hughes, someone who clearly loves Derby and Ince, our best player, what we need for a culture change?

Isnt the criticism of our culture that we have overpaid players who lose motivation at key points in the season? Wasn't the idea of getting rid of McClaren that we were moving away from that supposed culture and going with Rowett, going with young, hungry players with a point to prove? 

And what's the point of selling them if this is the sort of signing we're funding? I thought we were selling our best players to payoff the trouble we've got in with a large wage bill from signings like Noel Whelan?

Great plan, keep all the average players we've signed over the past few years, sell the good ones and bring in more well paid, aging players dropping down from the prem.

I don't think Whelan or Davies will be bad players, they'd probably be good but they're short term signings again. Maybe get a good season out of both of them but after that we're in the market again, spending more money, giving out more contracts.

I can't believe the amount of people who want us to sign him, particularly when there's absolutely no sign of us being able to shift out our current crop of midfielders outside of Hughes, the one we should want to keep.

I really hope there isn't anything in this rumour, as you can probably tell.

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Why does everyone assume an unfashionable, English midfielder is always a great character to have in the dressing room?

Glenn Whelan could be an utter knobend looking for a pay check for all we know but he doesn't wax his hair so he must be a really honest professional and all around nice guy.

I really don't get peoples reactions to these sort of links too. When it looks like we're selling Ince, Keogh and Hughes people are sayimg 'yeah maybe we need a culture change around the club'.

WHAT? Is selling Keogh, the most passionate player at the club, Hughes, someone who clearly loves Derby and Ince, our best player, what we need for a culture change?

Isnt the criticism of our culture that we have overpaid players who lose motivation at key points in the season? Wasn't the idea of getting rid of McClaren that we were moving away from that supposed culture and going with Rowett, going with young, hungry players with a point to prove? 

And what's the point of selling them if this is the sort of signing we're funding? I thought we were selling our best players to payoff the trouble we've got in with a large wage bill from signings like Noel Whelan?

Great plan, keep all the average players we've signed over the past few years, sell the good ones and bring in more well paid, aging players dropping down from the prem.

I don't think Whelan or Davies will be bad players, they'd probably be good but they're short term signings again. Maybe get a good season out of both of them but after that we're in the market again, spending more money, giving out more contracts.

I can't believe the amount of people who want us to sign him, particularly when there's absolutely no sign of us being able to shift out our current crop of midfielders outside of Hughes, the one we should want to keep.

I really hope there isn't anything in this rumour, as you can probably tell.

Probably made some good points, but couldn't take you seriously after you said he was English.

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Probably made some good points, but couldn't take you seriously after you said he was English.

:lol:

Ffs I originally wrote about him being white but decided to change it last minute to avoid starting a whole other argument. But how have I missed that he's the most Irish bloke on the planet.

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Ffs I originally wrote about him being white but decided to change it last minute to avoid starting a whole other argument. But how have I missed that he's the most Irish bloke on the planet.

The most Irish bloke on the planet, I hear you say...

That title belongs to Stephen Hunt.

stephen-hunt-face.jpg

1 hour ago, jono said:

I can see the logic in this but am getting nervous that in the same breath we are talking about Hughes and Ince both leaving

So we end up with a tidy efficient team that lacks game changers - Top 10 for sure, Top 6 maybe but ripping the league apart ? 

It's my worry as well with Rowett, that we could just end up with a functionall team that has no real spark to it. 

Like I've said before though I genuinely can't predict how we will end up with Rowett. I can see a situation in January where we line up with the likes of Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, ince and Martin with a sprinkling of new Rowett signings such as wisdom and davies. Alternatively I can see a situation where all of those players have been moved on, replaced by workhorses and still playing technically deficient players such as Johnson. And everything between those two scenarios.

Just now, brady1993 said:

It's my worry as well with Rowett, that we could just end up with a functionall team that has no real spark to it. 

Like I've said before though I genuinely can't predict how we will end up with Rowett. I can see a situation in January where we line up with the likes of Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, ince and Martin with a sprinkling of new Rowett signings such as wisdom and davies. Alternatively I can see a situation where all of those players have been moved on, replaced by workhorses and still playing technically deficient players such as Johnson. 

Step forward... Clayton Donaldson

clayton-donaldson-636284640.jpg

Sup Bro?

23 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

You also refer to him as Noel Whelan at one point... :thumbsup:

coventry-city-noel-whelan-166-merlin-pre

What a sorry state of affairs. It's perfectly clear that neither GR or Mel have any idea of what Will Hughes is worth and as a result our wonderkid has basically been 'given' to Watford as a makeweight in the Anya/Vydra deal. Furthermore they think they can appease the fans by replacing said wonderkid with some boring old nobody from Stoke. Its absolutley shocking.

Either that or we all read too much crappy journalism.

The reason @Leicester Ram I think Whelan is a decent character is that I've seen him give plenty of interviews and he always comes across that way. He has captained both ROI and Stoke, and typically managers don't make 'knobends looking for a paycheck' their captains. Certainly Martin O'Neill wouldn't. Also there was the incident with Aaron Ramsey after a tackle from Ryan Shawcross had broken the Arsenal midfielder's leg;

'Whelan was the first player to react after the horror challenge and comforted the stricken youth as he lay on the ground. Simple gestures from Whelan such as shielding Ramsey from seeing his damaged leg while gently talking to him in an effort to calm him down have not gone unnoticed by the Arsenal player. Whelan also called to other Arsenal players to help their teammate before letting the medical staff takeover.

"Glenn Whelan was especially kind and I really appreciated his immediate assistance on the pitch," said a grateful Ramsey.'

Hardly heroic, but it does seem to suggest that he's not the worst human about.

Still don't want him at the club.though..for footballing reasons. Ultra-defensive and past his best.

31 minutes ago, Highgate said:

The reason @Leicester Ram I think Whelan is a decent character is that I've seen him give plenty of interviews and he always comes across that way. He has captained both ROI and Stoke, and typically managers don't make 'knobends looking for a paycheck' their captains. Certainly Martin O'Neill wouldn't. Also there was the incident with Aaron Ramsey after a tackle from Ryan Shawcross had broken the Arsenal midfielder's leg;

'Whelan was the first player to react after the horror challenge and comforted the stricken youth as he lay on the ground. Simple gestures from Whelan such as shielding Ramsey from seeing his damaged leg while gently talking to him in an effort to calm him down have not gone unnoticed by the Arsenal player. Whelan also called to other Arsenal players to help their teammate before letting the medical staff takeover.

"Glenn Whelan was especially kind and I really appreciated his immediate assistance on the pitch," said a grateful Ramsey.'

Hardly heroic, but it does seem to suggest that he's not the worst human about.

Still don't want him at the club.though..for footballing reasons. Ultra-defensive and past his best.

I was less questioning Whelan's character and more questioning the instant assumption that aging, white players are always seen as great characters or model pro's. 

Chris Baird, for all the good he's done for the club and the great pro he is, was a disruptive influence in 15/16. He flipped the v to the east stand and lost ten captaincy quick. I believe it came out that he apologised to Mel for the way he handled himself when he officially lost the club captaincy to Keogh after Clement left.

You'd have got similar glowing reports about Baird from WBA and Fulham from his time there, but it didn't work out. I'm mainly airing a frustration with the desire to get in 'good characters' and leaders when I think we already have a lot of them at the club.

Weve literally spent two years bringing in experienced pro's instead of younger players. Carson, Shackell, Johnson, Baird, Warnock, Bent, Pearce, Nugent, Davies. Is Glenn Whelan really adding anything new to that? Seems like more of the same to me.

Archived