Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

I'd like the experience in the squad. We've been missing that presence in the middle of the park since we lost George to injury again. Teams just walking through where our midfield should be!

Which would possibly mean it'd be between Thorne and Whelan for CDM. And Gaz plans on playing Hughes/Johnson in a more advanced role. Bryson and Butters fighting for a spot as backup?

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Whelan/Led and Thorne sat in front of a back four would be decent.

And boring. In front of a back 3 fair enough but the only time we should even consider 2 holders in front of a back 4 is away to top of the table teams or a switch of formation late on in games if we are 1 up

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

- - - - - - - - - - Carson - - - - - - - - - - 

Wisdom - Keogh - - Davies - Forsyth

- - - - - Thorne - - - - Whelan - - - - - -

???????????????????????????????

I'd prefer us to play with a single holding midfielder, make Thorne work for his place. We'd be much better off as a squad with a fitter determined George Thorne. 

Would like to see the extra creativity up the pitch 

14 hours ago, Kernow said:

He would be a fantastic replacement for Hughes, and would certainly soften the blow if Hughes does leave.

tumblr_liq5z2bHMp1qzado8o1_500.gif

As cover for JT or replacement if things dont go right for JT.But to replace Will with a 33 yeart old laughable

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Would be nice to have a character like him in the dressing room, 1 mil seems like a fair price for him so I'd say make the move. Would provide cover for thorne

Exactly! He's 33,not 63 so a holding role is well within his remit for at least two years.If he helps to get us promoted,it would have been £1m well spent.As for Thorne,don't expect him to go straight back into the side after such a long lay off.Whelan would give us the cover and allow Johnson to push further forward.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

How old was Eustace when he became one of our most important players? 

Exactly, we're talking about a bloke with around 250 premier league appearances here, and still made 30 last season, so clearly  the quality is there and he's not past it yet. You often see people complaining about aging players, particularly if they don't hit the ground running straight away. But often they've been very important parts of our team in recent years, adding that steel Andre charectar that we maybe lacked a few years ago under clough. 

You look at eustace like you say, then theres Baird, warnock, nugent, even bent and quite likely Davies which have all contributed positively to the strength of our side, as well as in the dressing room despite being the wrong side of 30. Don't nessercerily think there's much in this at the moment, I'm sure someone within the club has just been alerted to his availability after the failed villa bid, but if he does join I'm sure he'll prove a valuable short term addition

9 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

34/35.

Wow, was it that old? Might need to rethink my stance on Whelan then.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Exactly, we're talking about a bloke with around 250 premier league appearances here, and still made 30 last season, so clearly  the quality is there and he's not past it yet. You often see people complaining about aging players, particularly if they don't hit the ground running straight away. But often they've been very important parts of our team in recent years, adding that steel Andre charectar that we maybe lacked a few years ago under clough. 

You look at eustace like you say, then theres Baird, warnock, nugent, even bent and quite likely Davies which have all contributed positively to the strength of our side, as well as in the dressing room despite being the wrong side of 30. Don't nessercerily think there's much in this at the moment, I'm sure someone within the club has just been alerted to his availability after the failed villa bid, but if he does join I'm sure he'll prove a valuable short term addition

38 appearances last season in all competitions. Impressive for someone of his age. Especially considering the kind of players Whelan was competing with (record signing Imbula, for example).

So far in the transfer window with completed age/experience with youth/power in Davies/Wisdom. If we can continue to bring in a balance of those two things with the rest of our signings this summer (Whelan/Irvine/Ledley/Watkins/March as examples of some) then we could well be looking at a talented, and more importantly "well balanced" squad for next season.

Considering Rowett has stated on multiple occasions that he wants to get the balance right, I'm hoping this will be the case.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Age isn't critical for a holding midfield. Holding midfield is dictated by ability to tackle and speed of thought, not pace. Eustace did a fantastic job, at an older age than Whelan. 

Yep and he had Bryson Hendrick and Hughes to do the nice stuff, we look like having Johnson Butterfield and an a more injured Bryson and won't look dreadfully great then.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

- - - - - - - - - - Carson - - - - - - - - - - 

Wisdom - Keogh - - Davies - Forsyth

- - - - - Thorne - - - - Whelan - - - - - -

???????????????????????????????

I think we will be starting out like this if the injured return 

Carson

Baird    Wisdom  Davies.  Forsyth 

Russell  Thorne Johnson Boyd 

Nugent 

Martin 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Yep and he had Bryson Hendrick and Hughes to do the nice stuff, we look like having Johnson Butterfield and an a more injured Bryson and won't look dreadfully great then.

Well, I will wait and see what other players we pick up to play in midfield, since none of us can say with any degree of certainty who will start in our midfield next season. My main point was that it isn't fair to judge Whelan based off age.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Well, I will wait and see what other players we pick up to play in midfield, since none of us can say with any degree of certainty who will start in our midfield next season. My main point was that it isn't fair to judge Whelan based off age.

Yes I agree, we need balance and yes we will see if we get it.

Archived