Glenn Whelan - signed for Villa

Sexydadbod

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite surprised by the amount of positivity towards this. £1m for a 33 year old who will undoubtably be on big wages? How many seasons would we get out of him? Is he really THAT good? Granted I've never really seen him play, other than the bits you get on MOTD. 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So Hughes out and whelan in - not for me

33 year olds want to play and nobody seems to be fixed in central midfield currently- I think we will have a mixed bag of Johnson Thorne Bryson and butterfield fo two spots and currently Hughes who would be replaced by whelan? Do we need another defensive midfielder? 

This isn't a swap. We would have needed a CDM even if Will was staying.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Quite surprised by the amount of positivity towards this. £1m for a 33 year old who will undoubtably be on big wages? How many seasons would we get out of him? Is he really THAT good? Granted I've never really seen him play, other than the bits you get on MOTD. 

I couldn't agree more, certinatly when he plays for ROI I see a much inferior player to Jeff Hendrick and everybody wanted to sell him for being inconsistent- to me some people are just eager for names and not the right type and by that I mean that Johnson seems nailed on to start so who players with him? 

Don't get the Whelan love-in at all. Solid but no more than that yet some on here are classing him as a 'great' player and that we should be offering him a 3 year contract - get real. He'll go nowhere on wages not much less than what he's been on at Stoke - if Rowett feels he needs an alternative / backup to George Thorne then if Whelan's the best option then we really are struggling. 

39 minutes ago, jono said:

Sounds interesting and from what I've seen on here he looks a popular choice but we are pretty overweight in the middle already so if this is true then who's leaving ? .. Doesn't seem to have been any gossip about anyone leaving except Will which from an age balance point of view (quite apart from skill set ) seems unlikely.

Is Andy Reid coming out of retirement?

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

This isn't a swap. We would have needed a CDM even if Will was staying.

I didn't mean a swap, I was questioning weather we actually need a defensive midfielder as we are unlikely to be playing mac type of football- I foresee a more solid 442 

57 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Yes please, age not an issue for me especially as he's a holding midfielder.

~£1m with a 2 year contract + 1 year option would be perfect.

He's 13 months younger than Sidwell who did a brilliant job with Brighton last season and has just signed a new contract with them.

2 year contract + 1 year option is very sensible IMO.

26 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

I expect he would start as the holding midfielder, meaning we wouldn't have to rush George Thorne back. George would then have to fight for his place in the team

We have lots of stand ins for Thorne though don't we - Baird- Hanson - Johnson - wisdom - to me we would just be overstocking the squad with Someone you can't sell on large wages, sign me a Jota to add some excitement because we are looking likely to be selling Ince and Hughes 

13 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

If we sold for 10 million I'd be really upset with the current prices we wouldn't be able to get near the quality of ince for 10 million as a replacement, please god don't let this be true 

I agree, it seems a bit cheap, I would say 12-15 would seem to be the proper price no idea why this has gone to this thread??

39 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I get that he's a good player but going for a player like Williams or Ledley who are younger/cheaper/do the same job makes more sense to me.

Well if he's been good enough to play regularly for Stoke, a team who are entering their tenth consecutive season in the Premier League and have had multiple top 10 finishes and are typically comfortable in midtable, he is certainly good enough for us.

He is not the future of the club but for at least a season, he could play a valuable role and maybe that is all it will take.

This is probably the best example of an 'over the line' signing you will see in football. After a few failed attempts at promotion, Rowett obviously thinks we need an experienced and streetwise midfielder to make us more difficult to beat, to help us close out games and to get us over the line. Think about all of the times we have been unable to see out games and the difference it has made.

At the end of the day, if he signs, he is not going to be our midfield lynchpin. He is more likely to be the player who does all the dirty work, the one who sits, tidies up, soaks up pressure, organises, lets the opposition know they are in for a battle, and gives the likes of Hughes more freedom to affect the game.

Provided we get the balance right and don't try to fill the team with too many ageing and experienced players on long contracts, this type of move is very sensible.

Everything in moderation, I say.

Archived