U21 Championship 2017

David

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps it's just me, but I really don't see what Chalobah brings to the table - yes he's got the physical attributes, but he doesn't seem to have a footballing brain - he also seems to be fairly lazy - though he is a Chelsea player so I suppose Boothroyd would be scared to leave him out....

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Perhaps it's just me, but I really don't see what Chalobah brings to the table - yes he's got the physical attributes, but he doesn't seem to have a footballing brain - he also seems to be fairly lazy - though he is a Chelsea player so I suppose Boothroyd would be scared to leave him out....

Not just you Gaspode. 

15 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

C'mon get your camera's out and post your Derby Flag pictures for us, as I'm on route to the Stonehaven Beer Festival and can't do it, much appreciated. The sun is out in Stonehaven, and I'm looking forward to a few lovely ales!

http://midsummerbeerhappening.co.uk/

Blooming eck second half started, and I was at the dinner table trying to feed my two kids and myself chicken pie and cauliflower with an eye on the game when two lovely Bexley Flags popped up, St George and Union, by the time I put down the pie and took a picture only got the Union flag. 10 varied ales at the Stonehaven Beer Festival for pudding got me back on track!

Up The Bexley Rams

b99kqw.jpg

One difference between us an Spain/Portugal is that time and time again we fast-track young players into the senior squad, and act as though this means they are now excluded from the u21 squad.

Spain u21 pick the likes of Marco Asencio, Saul Niguez, Gerard Delofeu & Sandro Ramirez.

Portugal u21 pick the likes of Renato Sanches (voted best young player at the senior Euros last year).

England u21 do not pick the likes of Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw, Dele Alli & Eric Dier.

We may as well play with our feet tied together, and when the likes of Ady Boothroyd are given the task of managing the poor lads we may as well wear blindfolds too!

If we're not even selecting our best u21 players then what's the point in even entering this competition?

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:39, Saul Pimpson said:

England u21 do not pick the likes of Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw, Dele Alli & Eric Dier.

We may as well play with our feet tied together, and when the likes of Ady Boothroyd are given the task of managing the poor lads we may as well wear blindfolds too!

If we're not even selecting our best u21 players then what's the point in even entering this competition?

I think the U20s success might change our expectations of what it's possible to achieve and as importantly the experience the players gain from competing and winning.

None of this is likely to matter to the U21s atm while Boothroyd is the manager. An appalling first match from a talented squad.

I see Hughes is on the bench again... the first XI has some great talent but the highlights of that first game made it look miserable. I don't really see why you'd not shake it up a bit after that though?

Moreover though I just don't really get why proven league failures like Boothroyd are employed by England at this level, same with Southgate really. Why not hire coaches who work within England and start to build a consistent identity and understanding of the squad they've got? We just seem to employ managers who turn out to be unfit for league work, like some consolation prize. The bargain bin of management.

Boothroyd is totally the wrong type of manager to put in charge of young, developing players. Certainly based on how he set up teams when he was a club manager his philosophy of 'great if we win but we mustn't lose' is endemic amongst the majority of English coaches and sooner or later the FA will have to break the mould or there won't be another successful national side for another 50 years.

If England play as they did in their first game and Slovakia do likewise then by the end of the week England will be back home.

Archived