U21 Championship 2017

Day

37 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That's the thing though, they didn't even take their best players to this tournament either! This was almost like their under 21 'b' team as their best under 21s are at the confederations cup with the seniors.

True. This squad isn't that much experienced apart from Arnold, Selke, Meyer and few others..

It's almost unbelievable who's missing.. Sane, Weigl, Kimmich, Brandt, Werner, Goretzka, Süle, Tah.. yep, It is like a b-team, not comparable to the 2009 squad.

And Yeah, Maxi Arnold is his name.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought we had some decent chances, mainly from set pieces, but the truth of it is we got completely outplayed for about 110 minutes.

The 2 penalties we missed really annoyed me. If you're going to be taking a lazy run up like that it's got to be because you're sacrificing power for accuracy. Both of them were pathetic, weak and perfect height for the goalkeeper. Just so predictable when you do a cocky run up like that, when will they learn?!

If that's what we have coming though to challenge the senior team I'm afraid it's another 8 years of making up the numbers.

We moan about young English players not being given a chance in the Premier League but to be honest if that's the quality on offer I am not surprised. Not one player comfortable enough to put his foot on the ball and find a pass. Intact I would say the best passer in the team was Pickford.

Pickford really impressed me too. Big Career to come..

I thought the young blonde haired England player looked pretty good (when he was allowed to play in a more advanced position) - that performance should add a couple of million to his fee if he gets a move to the PL - oh wait.....

18 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I thought the young blonde haired England player looked pretty good (when he was allowed to play in a more advanced position) - that performance should add a couple of million to his fee if he gets a move to the PL - oh wait.....

Ha! Just chatting to our local Watford fan. Said pretty much this. Feels they've got an absolute steal price-wise. 

Who played absolutely awesome yesterday was Dani Ceballos. 

What a performance. Pure class, young Iniesta. Watch LaLiga quite often, his season was really strong too.

Buy-out clause €15m. Every scout in Premier League should be sacked. Apparently already on his way to Real.

I see Germany beat Spain 1-0 in the final. The  report mentions that this was a squad with several eligible players missing as they are in the Confederation Cup. Of course, they have reached the final of that, too.

There has to be a comparison with our youngsters and the only difference that I can see is the fact that the German players are nearly all playing regular first team football by that age. 

Ours are just driving fancy cars and wearing silly haircuts!

http://bbc.in/2svdi9S

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

There has to be a comparison with our youngsters and the only difference that I can see is the fact that the German players are nearly all playing regular first team football by that age. 

Ours are just driving fancy cars and wearing silly haircuts!

I wonder what the general standard is of the league(s) they play in? If I'd invested in young talent I'd be farming more of them out to get games for sure. I see that more Prem teams seem keen on putting their U21s into that EFL Cup thing that lots poo-pooed last season.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder what the general standard is of the league(s) they play in? If I'd invested in young talent I'd be farming more of them out to get games for sure. I see that more Prem teams seem keen on putting their U21s into that EFL Cup thing that lots poo-pooed last season.

I think they are under a bit of pressure from the FA to get the younger players more experience at an adult level.

I watch our under 23s and it's entertaining but not the same at all. Some of the big clubs have so many technically gifted youngsters but they don't play as a team. Of course, Chelsea and the like aren't going to have those midfield grafters or last ditch defenders in their academies.

But they need to come up against them if they want to progress. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think they are under a bit of pressure from the FA to get the younger players more experience at an adult level.

I watch our under 23s and it's entertaining but not the same at all.

They have to play games that mean something. The U20s showed how difficult it is to win under pressure, their experiences will be good for their development. If clubs want to increase the value of their investment and if players want to develop then they have to play football matches that mean something.

Back when Germany were struggling around 15 years ago, their FA bought in a series of rules surrounding youth development, including every team in the top two divisions having an academy and having over 300 regional talent pools for kids between 8 and 16.

That was embraced over there and they have now reaped the rewards.

In England, the FA can't instigate anything for the country's gain, as the Premiership has become too powerful and is the one who dictates the rules. (Elite player performance rules, for example)

Archived