Mayweather v McGregor

David

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel a fool for paying at the last minute, boring fight, not sure why I expected any different as it went right to the script. 

Boxing is kinda like watching Barca play, 2 rounds in I was begging McGregor to kick him, take him down to the ground and start throwing elbows.

Mayweather might be the greatest but more ducks than Marketon Park, turning is back, playing the waiting game is boring in terms of entertainment.

Obviously wouldn't last one round in the Octagon but he hasn't claimed he would, McGregor deserves some credit for landing punches and staying in for so long which nobody predicted he would.

Should have worked more of his cardio but that's always been his weakness.

Back to MMA now please, no more of this boxing crap, had my £20, spend it wisely which I'm sure you won't.

Mayweather is never entertaining. He's not knocked anyone out for like 7 years?

GGG v Canelo. That is worth £20. 

Can't complain about stoppages. Look at what boxing has done to people. It was stopped for his protection. Lots of fighters claim they could carry on but they know the rules. 

Probably won't even watch it. Cash grabbing con

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

GGG v Canelo. That is worth £20. 

But is it? In a sport where the main fight can be over in one round, £20, unless you make the most of the undercard it's robbery. You can pay that for an entire months worth of football on Sky Sports. Even the BT app you can pick up for a fiver a month, football and UFC.

Maybe I just don't see it as I find Boxing an incredibly dull sport now, plus they've made it harder to lure viewers in to the sport with only the crappy fights free on TV. Not saying Boxing should be free, include it in the Sky Sports package or risk killing the sport off.

1 hour ago, David said:

But is it? In a sport where the main fight can be over in one round, £20, unless you make the most of the undercard it's robbery. You can pay that for an entire months worth of football on Sky Sports. Even the BT app you can pick up for a fiver a month, football and UFC.

Maybe I just don't see it as I find Boxing an incredibly dull sport now, plus they've made it harder to lure viewers in to the sport with only the crappy fights free on TV. Not saying Boxing should be free, include it in the Sky Sports package or risk killing the sport off.

Yeah, you're right. 

I know PPV is the only way to create revenue to pay the fighters to make big fights and good cards though

2 hours ago, David said:

But, as a boxing fan, i'd say the free fights are some of the best i've watched. Last night was a con. Mayweather sucker punched the last person he TKO'd, and before that it was Hatton in 2007. Ten years a go, He's an artist in not getting hit. I've seen the stats saying McGregor landed such and such, but he was slapping. Mayweather was never in any danger, and knew the only way of getting him out of there was later on.

Whatever anyone says, last night was a con.

The  numbers on PPV boxing in this country is only rising. Which helps get the top fights made. But, imo, they're usually not the best fights. The undercard for a boxing fan was woeful as well last night. That doesn't help

Probably being harsh as I don't fully appreciate the art of boxing, doesn't have me on the edge of my seat like MMA does in the all out wars that go on. 

Same with watching Barca pass pass pass pass, just want the ball up there and shots on goal.

Defending is so overrated in all sports :) 

• 3 months later...

Very late to this party, but only thing that struck me about the McGregor/Mayweather fight was McGregor's hits were very soft for someone being pegged as a power hitter - they were very soft in general. Mayweather was walking him down after the first few rounds, which he's almost never done in his entire career.

I've watched more MMA since - it's enjoyable enough. About as hit and miss (maybe a tiny bit more miss) for me as Boxing, which I've watched for far longer.

Grapple heavy fights I don't have any fondness for, personally - but there's enough variety in MMA to keep me interested.

I've tried watching MMA. Too much wrestling. "Ground game" or whatever it's called isn't for me.

Also, how come they're so super hard and don't wear gloves but can punch each other when ones half dead on the deck without doing much damage.

Can you imagine some boxers punching each other while ones defenceless on the floor? Without gloves?!!

Doesn't add up.

I watched that Jones guy a few times, not bad viewing but still 5 minutes of two blokes leaning on the cage kneeing each other in the thigh. 

3 hours ago, David said:

MMA makes boxing look like Strictly Come Dancing, sure there’s some dull fights but you can spot them before even watching.

That applies to boxing too. Mayweather will always be dull and he'll always win.

Archived