Mayweather v McGregor

David

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

This is McGregor sparring Chris Van Heerden, ranked 30 in the world at Welterweight so lighter than Connor. Freddie Roach said McGregor needs 5 years of training to compete at an average level. This fight is a cash cow and nothing else, they been hyping boxing vs MMA for a long time. I can hear the boos in the arena now.

http://boxrec.com/boxer/371022

Cue the conspiracy theories, but a fair few have suggested that this was deliberately put out making him look terrible in order for Mayweather to accept the fight believing it will be an absolute walk-over.

It still will be a walk-over, IMO, with Mayweather cruising to a UD.

But I honestly can't believe he can be as bad as the video above. He will surprise everybody, but only in terms of avoiding a KO and providing solid enough skills to go the distance.

He has a punchers chance in that Mayweather isn't immortal. He can be knocked out, but setting up that punch against such a master at the art of defending will require something special.

I think McGregor will see how Maidana had some success by battering Mayweather on the ropes and trying to rough-house him. But I think a carefully selected referee will assure that inside-fighting will be limited.

McGregor has zero chance if he tries to fight him at a distance.

21 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I hope McGregor comes out and 10 seconds into the first round, kicks Mayweather in the head and is disqualified.

I hope Mayweather goes for a clinch (as he obviously will) and McGregor goes for a takedown.

I honestly think this fight would have been more interesting in the Octagon than in a boxing ring. At least then you could say "yeah, Mayweather has a punchers chance". Unfortunately, that was never going to happen. It'd be a needless risk for Mayweather at that stage of his career to go in and get a pasting.

McGregor would have definitely won in the Octagon, just as Mayweather will win in the boxing ring, that's not in doubt.

Maybe they should have compromised on a neutral sport like Chess. Or snakes and ladders but I'm guessing that wouldn't draw as much money.

But I do honestly have to say that the fight would have been just a tiny bit less predictable if it was MMA and not just boxing. Conor would have won, but the element of doubt would have been slightly bigger.

On 6/15/2017 at 23:16, David said:

McGregor will be all over him from the first bell, dancing round him more than John Travolta, catch him early, wobbles, round 2 send him to the ground, ref calls a stop.

Mayweather demands a 2nd fight, McGregor falls out with the UFC, buys out his contract and leaves MMA. Rematch will take place in the new year, this one will go the distance with Maywether winning on points.

McGregor banks his cheese and buys a ticket for Hollywood, the McGregor story his debut film, followed by a couple of crap overpaid cameo roles and he's done, ridiculously rich with his brain cells still in tact.

I see a buddy comedy with him and Vinnie Jones, set during the troubles.  Ones a wacky IRA bomber, the others a foul-mouthed squaddie.  They begrudgingly team up to take down the ultimate bad guy, Thatcher!!!  Hilarity ensues...

17 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

It is an absolute joke, a professional athlete at the top of his game taking on a Saturday afternoon wrestler/pantomime villain.

Agreed, it's like Joe Cole playing Soccer in the US of A

On 19/06/2017 at 17:17, MuespachRam said:

It is an absolute joke, a professional athlete at the top of his game taking on a Saturday afternoon wrestler/pantomime villain.

McGregor is also a professional athlete at the top of his game? Both fighters are pantomime villains that also happen to be outstanding at their respective sports. UFC isn't WWE.

3 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

McGregor is also a professional athlete at the top of his game? Both fighters are pantomime villains that also happen to be outstanding at their respective sports. UFC isn't WWE.

I'm not saying UFC is even WWE, it isn't that good, it is just Saturday afternoon wrestling between giant haystacks and Shirley Crabtree at Alfreton leisure centre that Sky TV have got hold of. 

30 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I'm not saying UFC is even WWE, it isn't that good, it is just Saturday afternoon wrestling between giant haystacks and Shirley Crabtree at Alfreton leisure centre that Sky TV have got hold of. 

Your maggot is tiny, bet that's not the first time you've heard that ?

Its like a badmington player challenging Djokovic to a tennis match because theyre both racket sports... completely pointless i hate mayweather but cant deny how good he is. He's made good fighters look ordinary & can probably count on one hand the amount of times he's been caught cleanly throughout his whole career... total miss match 

On 2017-6-20 at 00:09, DesertRam said:

If McGregor lasts more than 1 round, it will be a miracle. 

McGregor isn't a bad boxer at all, while Mayweather isn't a ruthless finisher. 

When was the last time Mayweather legitimately stopped an opponent? Hatton in 2007? And even then, Hatton was past his prime and had blown up and down in weight so many times his condition was shot.

Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time, but he's a defensive counter-puncher who didn't have the power to KO at 30 years old, let alone ten years on.

Either he will stop McGregor in the latter rounds once McGregor has punched enough air and completely tired himself out, or it will play out as an easy UD decision with Mayweather winning pretty much every round.

No way will Mayweather stop him in the first round. It's not like McGregor has never had a punch thrown his way before. He might not have amazing footwork or punch combination as a boxer, but he's quick and can control distance to an extent. 

The gap in genuine boxing ability might be huge and it's a mis-match in that sense, but it's not like it's a fight between a heavyweight and flyweight. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2017 at 05:54, Bris Vegas said:

McGregor isn't a bad boxer at all, while Mayweather isn't a ruthless finisher. 

When was the last time Mayweather legitimately stopped an opponent? Hatton in 2007? And even then, Hatton was past his prime and had blown up and down in weight so many times his condition was shot.

Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time, but he's a defensive counter-puncher who didn't have the power to KO at 30 years old, let alone ten years on.

Either he will stop McGregor in the latter rounds once McGregor has punched enough air and completely tired himself out, or it will play out as an easy UD decision with Mayweather winning pretty much every round.

No way will Mayweather stop him in the first round. It's not like McGregor has never had a punch thrown his way before. He might not have amazing footwork or punch combination as a boxer, but he's quick and can control distance to an extent. 

The gap in genuine boxing ability might be huge and it's a mis-match in that sense, but it's not like it's a fight between a heavyweight and flyweight. 

I get the feeling it will be close. 

Not close enough that Mayweather is in any danger, just close enough for a $100m dollar rematch!

If you'd take the (little) risk to extend the record after all, why not double up?

Anyone who invests their hard earned buying it deserves to be rinsed, tbh.

Archived