£30m Jordan Pickford!

Parsnip

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kamikaze said:

And not even an upgrade on Robles / Stekelenberg! 

If his form last season doesn't prove to be a flash in the pan then he's far better than either of those you've mentioned. Probably (along with Butland) the best young keeper in the country and only 23.

He's 23, he can play at the highest level for another 12-15 years and his best years are ahead of him.

It's a great deal for both clubs. Everton have never really replaced Tim Howard and they get a player with excellent potential and a good body of work under his belt, a player who can grow with the club, get better and better, and either be their number 1 for years to come or an asset to cash in on.

£30 million seems high but they paid the same for Lukaku and look what is happening there.

What Everton are paying for is potential and if he lives up to that, it'll be good business because you look at the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal - they could all be in the market for a top keeper in 1-2 years and come calling.

Similarly the conversation I was having with someone on the Hughes thread, Everton are picking Pickford up at the height of his value.

Despite being in a crap Sunderland team, he is very highly regarded and has had an excellent season. His form has been brilliant, and that alone is worth £10 million on top of a normal value. Rated by many as a future England keeper having represented them at every level.

It's a lot for someone who has only played first team football at that level for one season, but his profile is so high, and he's English, and that shoots the price up. If he stayed at Sunderland and had half a season as understudy to Mannone, which is where he started this season, he'd be worth half that despite not being any worse a keeper. 

@David I imagine Butland would be about £50m in the current market.

I think Sunderland probably also pushed for so much because of Defoe's relegation clause, which meant he could walk away for free.

In real terms, Pickford was their only genuine saleable asset, the only player who emerged from last season with credit, and the only player teams would be confident in striking a deal for. It was in their interest to maximise that deal.

Let's be honest, the rest of that squad is damaged goods.

I think the deals being talked about this close season show a lot of us need to reassess our thoughts regarding valuations. Most now move for 2 or 3 times my first thought.

As someone who's seen the transfer record broken many times and bang average players change in price from 100k in the 80s to about 6m now, the fact that a side like Everton rather than just a guaranteed top 6 side can and will spend £30m on anything other than a proven international player in their peak sometimes still surprises me.

There was something on Twitter about Sunderland still owing something like £20m for Oviedo and Everton have just called that off and paid £10m for Pickford. So in that sense it's worth £30m. No idea if there's any truth in that.

He isn't worth £30mil in a sensible transfer market but this isn't a sensible transfer market. We're talking about Lukaku being worth £100mil, Van Dijk being worth £60mil. You're seeing Tom Cairney having bids of £20mil rejected - it is bonkers but, ultimately, it's the game and it's the market and players are worth whatever clubs are willing to pay.

I think back to the days of Rio Ferdinand being considered dear at £28mil. The market is so inflated, bang average players are going for a fortune. In reality, Pickford is maybe worth £10mil.

But, on a separate note, I've always been surprised at the lack of money spent on 'keepers. No side without a decent 'keeper wins the title, it really is that vital. City would happily go and spend £100mil on a centre forward who would 'win them the league'. Neuer would also probably win them the league - a good 'keeper will add 10-15 points. So why the aversion to spend money on one? They have always been undervalued.

Pickford, at £30mil is a good 'keeper who was playing behind a dreadful Sunderland side. He is 23 and will likely be Everton's #1 for a decade and a half. He's also British - when has that ever helped make for a fair price?

2 hours ago, KentRam said:

He isn't worth £30mil in a sensible transfer market but this isn't a sensible transfer market. We're talking about Lukaku being worth £100mil, Van Dijk being worth £60mil. You're seeing Tom Cairney having bids of £20mil rejected - it is bonkers but, ultimately, it's the game and it's the market and players are worth whatever clubs are willing to pay.

I think back to the days of Rio Ferdinand being considered dear at £28mil. The market is so inflated, bang average players are going for a fortune. In reality, Pickford is maybe worth £10mil.

But, on a separate note, I've always been surprised at the lack of money spent on 'keepers. No side without a decent 'keeper wins the title, it really is that vital. City would happily go and spend £100mil on a centre forward who would 'win them the league'. Neuer would also probably win them the league - a good 'keeper will add 10-15 points. So why the aversion to spend money on one? They have always been undervalued.

Pickford, at £30mil is a good 'keeper who was playing behind a dreadful Sunderland side. He is 23 and will likely be Everton's #1 for a decade and a half. He's also British - when has that ever helped make for a fair price?

There was a book a few years ago detailing how Lyon or Marseille or somebody like that slowly built from second division also rans to champions.

They identified years ago that the market value of 'keepers is considerably lower than anywhere else on the pitch despite it being the most important position. And thus it always makes sense to spend big bucks on a 'keeper as it's incredible value for money.

Neuer cost £19,525,000 for example. Steal. Absoloute steal.

Archived