Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Are you being serious? Do you know how FFP works? It's based off the previous years books. We haven't announced the books for the season we spent in excess of £25m on players. We will be close to the FFP limit this year. 

The accounts for the season we signed Johnson, Butterfield etc were announced earlier this year: 

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-s-latest-financial-results-are-revealed/story-30244198-detail/story.html

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, K-Ram said:

It's a rigged race, and it's not getting fairer. FFP had lofty aims, it has ultimately acted as a huge barrier to entry. 

Whilst I completely understand and appreciate the point that you're making, look who got promoted this season - Newcastle, fair enough - but Brighton and Huddersfield, neither of them have parachute money do they? 

On an unrelated note, it concerns me how some fans are seemingly beginning to turn against the manager already. A few seem to have gone from "in Rowett we trust", to comments with negative undertones about "hoof ball" already, before a ball has even been kicked. Calm down people. 

I wish him luck and think its the right time for him to move. He's going backwards at Derby for various reasons.

He needs to get better though and I have my doubts he'll cut it long term in the Premier League. Under the right coaching I might be proved to be wrong, but as it stands his only attributes are his quick feet and quick brain. He's lacking in almost every other department. He's small, he's not strong and he's not powerful. His passing range is limited to a short range and his shooting is terrible.

£8m rising to £10m is, unfortunately, a fair reflection of his current form + his potential to be better.

Tin hat firmly secured in place. I think this could be a sensible move all round. 

1. Hughes doesn't seem to fit into Rowett's team 

2. He struggle playing in anything else other than a midfield 3 

3. The fees not too bad £10 million ? We know how talented the lad is but how many times can anyone remember Will grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and controlling the game ? 

4. Will could be stagnant here , let him move on , slap a big sell on clause on and see if he can thrive in the premier league

Let's remember before we get too far up on our high horses that this is a team that has failed and , and can't keep failing if this is the change we need so be it. I will be dad to see him go and have enjoyed watching Will play for Derby County but the best of luck to him.

Can't be arsed to read all of the comments but basically swapping Vydra for Hughes seems like a terrible deal to my mind. I don't care one jot that Hughes 'had a poor season' last year. He's still a kid and hasn't suddenly become a lesser player FFS. I'm increasingly concerned at our apparent 'rip and replace' policy which sees us seeing our top players at half their market value. I welcome the business done on WIsdom and Davies but the rest of our transfer window is shaping up to be the stuff of nightmares.

I cant help feeling dissapointed with this in quite a few ways. Hughes is a player that despite having a poor year or two by his standards still makes me sit up when he gets the ball (few others do ..apart from Ince and perhaps Russell..sometimes... Secondly whilst i would like him to get his career back on track...Watford? He will get far more exposure so perhaps it makes sense but really? What does that say about the perception of Derby or perhaps the football we will be playing. I can see us getting more success in terms of playoffs and even god willing a real tilt at promotion but at the expense of some of the flowing stuff we have seen in the last few years, albeit without reward.

I suppose the question is would i prefer a season of both highs and lows to one of consistent grinding out results? I foresee a few 1-0`s this season. Oh well if it works we will be happy.

If it happens i will miss Will (unless we are top by Xmas..)

12 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hughes is brilliant but there's a reason it's Watford who are set to sign him and not a top 6 club. 

Will has been a big part of this club for the best part of 6 years now and it will be gut wrenching to see him playing else where, but take away the emotional attachment to a player and the deal makes sense, for me at least. 

Makes no sense at all to me. We paid the same price just a year ago for a striker coming off the back of a season where he scored just 3 goals in the Championship who wouldn't make their bench. Rowett said he wants to have younger players who's value will increase while playing for us, so he sells Hughes while his value is probably at the lowest it's been for 3-4 years and potentially tries to replace him with 33 year old Whelan. He says he wants players who are hungry and looking to progress their careers rather than Prem rejects looking to get decent money on a lengthy contract. So he sells a youngster who's remained and tried to get promoted with us for the past 5-6 years when he probably could have got a Prem move and increased wages during that time.

4 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Whilst I completely understand and appreciate the point that you're making, look who got promoted this season - Newcastle, fair enough - but Brighton and Huddersfield, neither of them have parachute money do they? 

On an unrelated note, it concerns me how some fans are seemingly beginning to turn against the manager already. A few seem to have gone from "in Rowett we trust", to comments with negative undertones about "hoof ball" already, before a ball has even been kicked. Calm down people. 

In the long run the team that spends the most on wages will gain the highest league position. The correlation is pretty high. I believe these are two outliers. I'm just of the opinion that FFP is an obstruction of market forces. I think you will find in the future the other two to be outliers, especially Huddersfield.

I think you if sell the clubs best home grown talent of generations then you are definitely living by the sword.

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Makes no sense at all to me. We paid the same price just a year ago for a striker coming off the back of a season where he scored just 3 goals in the Championship who wouldn't make their bench. Rowett said he wants to have younger players who's value will increase while playing for us, so he sells Hughes while his value is probably at the lowest it's been for 3-4 years and potentially tries to replace him with 33 year old Whelan. He says he wants players who are hungry and looking to progress their careers rather than Prem rejects looking to get decent money on a lengthy contract. So he sells a youngster who's remained and tried to get promoted with us for the past 5-6 years when he probably could have got a Prem move and increased wages during that time.

I think it's to unfair to compare Pearson's decisions to this move. Pearson panicked and we overpaid massively. It's not Rowett's fault. 

I don't see the point in keeping a player who he doesn't like. If he isn't going to play on a consistent basis, then there's no point of him being here.

If Rowett is confident that he can use the circa 30k p.w in wages and 10m transfer fee elsewhere, which in turn would increase our chances of promotion, then I'll trust him until he's proven wrong. That's all I can do as a fan. Do I think the fee is low? Yeah. Can I understand why he is being sold for such a fee. Yeah. 

Suppose we'll have to see what sort of players we will use the transfer fee on. Whelan hardly gets me off my chair, I must say.

If the plan is to sell out best players for cut down prices then rowett is doing a sterling job. For anyone saying "trust Gary" I will,ask why? What has he done to earn that trust? Sweet fa so far. In a bloated squad we seem to be looking to get rid of our most talented players. Sorry but I go to PP to see the skills of will, Martin, Thorne and Ince. 

Having said that it would greatly depend on the structure of the payments. If it was £8 mil up front with add ons and a buy back clause, plus any debts owed on Vydra and Anya it would probably work out ok IF the money was spent wisely. If the money was spent on say Jota or the like that will net you 10-15 goals a season then that would make sense.

if however it's £8 mil which £4 of it is already taken as we owe Watford it still so in essence works out out at £4 mil total with some add ins it's career suicide as we'd never get someone to replace him with that little money.

if the sale is going to allow us to get Ledley,  whelan and Boyd then Gary and DCFC can go stick it up there arse for me.

the only good thing would be to employ whoever is doing the deals at Watford as this would be the third time in 12 months they've had our pants down. They would be a cracking signing.

I just worry what kind of football we will be watching next season. Will there actually be any creativity in our side or just a load of players who run around stopping the opposition from playing then not having a clue how to unlock a defence. Chrissy Martin best get boots that make him a few inches taller as it looks like everything is gonna be in the air. 

Good luck Will 

Archived