David Cotterill

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Bloody hell. Bloke who sits near me was saying we should sign Cotterill.

i thought he was mad. 

I must be mad as well then. I wrote some time ago about an ex Reading winger (now remembered to be Glen Little) who many would have regarded as 'unfashionable',but who had the uncanny knack of finding his players in the box. I've watched Cotterill throughout his career and always noted a similar ability.

I remember in Nigel's time he was always bemoaning the lack of quality delivery and imo nothing much has changed in the intervening period.I like a wide player who can consistently deliver a good ball -I can't care less what he looks like.

Ive always thought Cotterill was a very hard working player..decent delivery. I remember watching the Bristol City game at home this season...i sat there and remember thinking...Cotterill is having a blinder here. I wouldnt have a problem having him on board. Be a good squad addition.

4 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I must be mad as well then. I wrote some time ago about an ex Reading winger (now remembered to be Glen Little) who many would have regarded as 'unfashionable',but who had the uncanny knack of finding his players in the box. I've watched Cotterill throughout his career and always noted a similar ability.

I remember in Nigel's time he was always bemoaning the lack of quality delivery and imo nothing much has changed in the intervening period.I like a wide player who can consistently deliver a good ball -I can't care less what he looks like.

I haven't got a clue who David Cotterill is or how good or bad he is, but if all he does is consistently deliver a good ball that'll do for me. We did alright when all Alan Hinton did was consistently deliver (brilliant) balls into the box.

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I haven't got a clue who David Cotterill is or how good or bad he is, but if all he does is consistently deliver a good ball that'll do for me. We did alright when all Alan Hinton did was consistently deliver (brilliant) balls into the box.

Alan delivered a lot of decent stuff into the upright box as well:D I've seen players like Terry Curran who'd fly past the full back ,and get fans off their seats, only to deliver rubbish into the box.If Cotterill were to sign,I reckon he'd oust Chris Baird as the best crosser of a ball,and that's good enough for me.

We shouldn't turn our nose up at Cotterill if it is true. All squads could use players like him, always played well against us, consistently provides good quality delivery, would give us an option to play 4-4-2 if we needed it. Newcastle paid millions to have the likes of Hanley, Murphy and Mitrovic sat on the bench or out the squad, we don't have the luxury of their resources so having cheaper quality options like cotterill waiting in the wings would be a good thing. 

He would be a useful squad player, but we would still need to ship out some of our current deadwood.

I'd take him on a free. As others have said its a squad game, got to have players in the squad that won't necessarily start every game but will contribute when they play. When I see the likes of weimann, blackman, camara warming up to come on I don't believe any of them have it in their locker to change the game. 

12 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I'd take him on a free. As others have said its a squad game, got to have players in the squad that won't necessarily start every game but will contribute when they play. When I see the likes of weimann, blackman, camara warming up to come on I don't believe any of them have it in their locker to change the game. 

I'm not disagreeing mate, we do need players that offer something different but personally, I don't want us signing any more squad players. Haven't we got a bloated squad as it is? If we'd shipped out half a dozen then fair enough if for instance weimann and Camara had gone then yeah cotterill would probably be a good shout.

my thought is whoever we sign needs to be for a starting place to significantly improve on the person they are replacing. As I said earlier, if he's better than weimann Camara and Russell and he's the best we can get then fair enough, sign him up. If not let's see who we can ship out first or we will have 5 players all vying for one spot and none able to make it there own

1 hour ago, ramblur said:

Alan delivered a lot of decent stuff into the upright box as well:D I've seen players like Terry Curran who'd fly past the full back ,and get fans off their seats, only to deliver rubbish into the box.If Cotterill were to sign,I reckon he'd oust Chris Baird as the best crosser of a ball,and that's good enough for me.

If chris baird is our best crosser of the ball then things are worse than i thought.

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If chris baird is our best crosser of the ball then things are worse than i thought.

Well,I don't see anything like as many games as you,but I've not seen a better crosser of the ball in our ranks.To me,if you produce a delivery that has the keeper thinking of coming,but then deciding against it,you're on the right lines.Most of the time Baird seems to hit these areas,from what I've seen. Cotterill seems to be a member of a dying breed (imo) who actually gets his head up before delivering.Now,who does that remind me of.......

I've said before, we need players who always put in a shift and do their jobs effectively.If we can get at least 11 of these,then we've the makings of a decent team.

He's always seemed to play well against us and has different qualities than our other wingers, he'd be an improvement on Camara and Blackman definitely but he's another older player feel like we need an injection of young players in the team to have the right mix, he wouldn't be a starter for me and ideally we need players who will come in and improve the starting 11, we have enough squad players as it is 

Archived