Signed: Curtis Davies - 2 year + 1 (option), undisclosed fee

DEL

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cheron85 said:

The same Curtis Davies who got torn apart in 3/4 games against us 2 season ago?

No thanks

One game well done. 

17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wisdom, Davies, Hanley.

I think they'd create their own work by being pretty poor on the ball.

All good posts but, as suggested by others, it hasn't looked like Rowett wants to play the ball out from the back. Players like Martin, and players who can get the ball forward from midfield (Thorne, Hughes and at times, Butterfield) could be important for us next season if this new look back four comes to fruition. 

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It's a bit better than Shotton though isn't it? That's what people were expecting when Rowett arrived.

Its interesting that he's apparently "close to signing" yet none of us have heard a peep. If it wasn't for a brother/a wum on Twitter, we would possibly have first heard about an interest through an official announcement. I'm not naming names, but has anybody left the club recently that could be a reason for that?

To be fair I can't think of many centre backs that would genuinely excite me, head and kick it away. 

Don't expect them to be able to pass like Beckham, just the ability to kick it 10 yards in a straight line if needed is all I ask.

Was always staying open minded this season, the age thing concerns me but that's given the current overall age of the squad, that may come down with departures over the coming weeks.

Always need some experience in there, he has that. 

As for rumour leaks, think Baird another Golden Oldie there were no rumours, if memory serves me right it was RD that said we were signing him and am hour later it was announced. 

Open to being corrected on that one.

If Wisdom or Hanley join you could say those were leaked. 

1 minute ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

One game well done. 

I specified 3 out of the 4 games from 2 seasons ago - That was just the highlight one - When he looked slow, unresponsive, positionally unaware and generally bad

I remember in every game thinking "Wow, didn't this guy used to be good?"

1 minute ago, David said:

To be fair I can't think of many centre backs that would genuinely excite me, head and kick it away. 

Don't expect them to be able to pass like Beckham, just the ability to kick it 10 yards in a straight line if needed is all I ask.

Was always staying open minded this season, the age thing concerns me but that's given the current overall age of the squad, that may come down with departures over the coming weeks.

Always need some experience in there, he has that. 

As for rumour leaks, think Baird another Golden Oldie there were no rumours, if memory serves me right it was RD that said we were signing him and am hour later it was announced. 

Open to being corrected on that one.

If Wisdom or Hanley join you could say those were leaked. 

You're right on the Baird point. Think Owen Bradley tweeted about being interested and 30 mins later he was announced. Sense that now that Rowett is controlling transfers, we might get a lot less leaks (no problem with that).

Lots of things to like about the Davies signing. Leader, experience, plays predominately on the left-hand side of the two centre halves. Also, if memory serves me right from times I've watched him play, he's not too bad on the ball. Would complement a tougher, slower centre-half well (possibly Hanley?).

3 minutes ago, needles said:

I'd be surprised. And a bit 'meh'.

I've been a bit 'meh' on most of our signings for YEARS now - Thorne was exciting, before that probably Commons in 2008 and before that Kinkladze in 1999?

Other players have earned my love and respect but not many have been exciting pre-purchase

Not for me - too old and not surprisingly, from what I've seen this season, has lost one of his main assets which was his pace.

Also, those who seem to be banding names around like confetti and fitting them into our defensive line-up for next season, if you are excluding Keogh then you need to give yourselves a bit of a shake! If Rowett thinks that selling Keogh would generate cash to spend in other areas then that's a totally different scenario.

Seem to be in the opposite camp on this one, even at 32 I'd class him above any of our defenders. Has that bit extra about him in that he'll step out of defence and get things moving. Love arrogant centre halves that occasionally dribble up to the centre circle. We've missed that drive for a while.

1 minute ago, Rample said:

Seem to be in the opposite camp on this one, even at 32 I'd class him above any of our defenders. Has that bit extra about him in that he'll step out of defence and get things moving. Love arrogant centre halves that occasionally dribble up to the centre circle. We've missed that drive for a while.

Keogh drives into the opposition half 3 or 4 times a game, surely?

1 minute ago, Rample said:

If you've not seen Keogh providing forward momentum then I do wonder what your definition of drive is?

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I've been a bit 'meh' on most of our signings for YEARS now - Thorne was exciting, before that probably Commons in 2008 and before that Kinkladze in 1999?

Other players have earned my love and respect but not many have been exciting pre-purchase

Fair point, although I think I got a bit that way after the QPR defeat. We seemed to go cash happy and get increasingly less for our money after that.

There's a bit of joy to be had signing a player for £400k who isn't quite the finished article but gives everything, especially when compared to a player signed for 10 times that who you're expecting to do the business on the basis fee alone but who just doesn't quite do it, and you suspected he never would all along.

Archived