Signed: Curtis Davies - 2 year + 1 (option), undisclosed fee

DEL

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kyle guest said:

We also need some experienced players to help us get out the championship wouldn't be against this particular transfer but I'd like us to sign more younger players, the likes of wisdom, Hanley and Watkins spring to mind

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

You need to find balance though, Rowett will also want someone who knows what it takes to get out of this league and is a leader on the pitch, Davies would fit this as well as adding height and premier league experience if we got promoted. Similar to what Shackell could offer Rowett as well.

Anyone know if Davies plays right or left sided CB?

32 with 1 year left on his deal, could possible get him for around 1.5m imo

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Does seem very contradictory but I'm not convinced that we can't have a few signings like this, especially at the heart of defence where experience is often key. Davies has always been a top player at this level, and if we're looking at having the younger Hanley next to him, perhaps his experience would help? Always seemed like a good pro, and a back line of Forsyth- Davies- Hanley- Wisdom looks like the most solid defence in the league to me. 

Considering we're looking less at playing out from the back, and more faster counter attacking football I'd say that centre half pairing looks much more suited to me

Shackell- played at the top of the championship most of his career and has been promoted as captain.

Pearce- played at the top of the championship most of his career and has been promoted as captain.

Keogh- played at the top of the championship most of his career and has been extremely close to being promoted as captain.

Signing Curtis Davies doesn't add to our experience, he's more of the same. It's a bit of a myth that our defence (which was largely very strong last term, let's not forget) doesn't have experience or leadership. I haven't even mentioned Chris Baird.

1 minute ago, Leicester Ram said:

Shackell- played at the top of the championship most of his career and has been promoted as captain.

Pearce- played at the top of the championship most of his career and has been promoted as captain.

Keogh- played at the top of the championship most of his career and has been extremely close to being promoted as captain.

Signing Curtis Davies doesn't add to our experience, he's more of the same. It's a bit of a myth that our defence (which was largely very strong last term, let's not forget) doesn't have experience or leadership. I haven't even mentioned Chris Baird.

My point was more based on us potentially selling a combination of Keogh, shackell or Pearce based on recent rumours and potentially needing to replace that experience. All devils advocate mind, if this signing does go through it'll be interesting to see what rowett says on the deal, and then eventually who leaves

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Shackell hasnt featured yet under Rowett, despite the experience of Pearce, Shackell + Baird, even when they have been on the pitch I think they have failed to show their experience and leadership when it was needed which has resulted in a lot of late goals. My opinion of course.

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

My point was more based on us potentially selling a combination of Keogh, shackell or Pearce based on recent rumours and potentially needing to replace that experience. All devils advocate mind, if this signing does go through it'll be interesting to see what rowett says on the deal, and then eventually who leaves

I much prefer the idea of getting rid of Shackell (just because of his age and wages) and replacing him with Hanley. That brings down the age of our CB group without the upheaval of shipping out two of Pearce/Keogh/Shackell when they weren't the biggest problem with the team last year.

Curtie Davies smacks of a one year signing to me, just like Shackell in 15/16. We knew we'd get one good year out of Shackell (and we really did, he was fantastic and tightened up a previously erratic defence) but after that he'd be exposed to injury issues, losing mobility etc

My idea of this rebuild was that we were reshaping the squad to be perennially competitive, we could run with Keogh, Pearce and Hanley for at least a couple of seasons without having to change anything. Maybe Rowett sees it differently.

It would go against what Rowett has said, but things are going to change throughout the summer. If GR is speaking to 10+ agents a day and then one day he gets a call about Curtis Davies on the cheap, he's going to sit up and listen.

Davies is a top quality defender. He's decent on the ball, still got a bit of pace and can actually defend. Wages would be the only issue. We're not going to be able to cut our wage budget by signing players like Davies, but Rowett's being given a free-reign and he obviously considers it a good decision, if the deal happens.

From looking at the squad, and who we've been linked with, I believe we were after a RB and a CB. The Keogh interest and now Davies popping up at the same time suggests we might be selling somebody not initially planned, and bringing in somebody not initially planned.

I mentioned in the Keogh thread that I think he's been a great servant and I like him. However there's only 18 months difference in their ages, and if we sell Keogh and get Davies plus a few extra million left over, how can you complain about that?

Wisdom, Davies, Hanley.

I think they'd create their own work by being pretty poor on the ball.

This is the thing with Shackell. He's a good defender but he has to be when he contributes to us losing momentum, losing ground, getting pressed and ultimately running out of options. 

That's what you'd still get with that back 4 imo.

Hanley. He's never been anything special. Just big. Just a good defender... As is Shackell. His career is stalling and he's not too hot on the ball.

Davies has always been good. But he's on the down like Hanley. He's better on the ball than Shackell and Pearce so if it was to partner Keogh it would probably be ok

Wisdom... quite like Wisdom. But has he progressed since leaving here? He was always the safest fullback. He was cautious on the ball. So again individually he's probably be ok. But if he was to play with Hanley and say Olsson at LB then that's still the same old defence that can't distribute and ends up creating their own work. 

This is assuming Rowett wants to play from the back.

But you attack from the back and defend from the front. You don't want 4 Will Hughes at the back and 2 Shackells up front. But your back 5 will always be the 5 players with the first move.

And last season the first move was so slow and awkward Tom Ince and co were impossible to involve all to often.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Wisdom, Davies, Hanley.

I think they'd create their own work by being pretty poor on the ball.

This is the thing with Shackell. He's a good defender but he has to be when he contributes to us losing momentum, losing ground, getting pressed and ultimately running out of options. 

That's what you'd still get with that back 4 imo.

Hanley. He's never been anything special. Just a good defender... As is Shackell. His career is on the down and he's not too hot on the ball.

Davies has always been good. But he's on the down like Hanley. He's better on the ball than Shackell and Pearce so if it was to partner Keogh it would probably be ok

Wisdom... quite like Wisdom. But has he progressed since leaving here? He was always the safest fullback. He was cautious on the ball. So again individually he's probably be ok. But if he was to play with Hanley and say Olsson at LB then that's still the same old defence that can't distribute and ends up creating their own work. 

This is assuming Rowett wants to play from the back.

But you attack from the back and defend from the front. You don't want 4 Will Hughes at the back and 2 Shackells up front. But your back 5 will always be the 5 players with the first move.

And last season the first move was so slow and awkward Tom Ince and co were impossible to involve all to often.

Based on the games Rowett was in charge of I would say Rowett isn't overly bothered about playing out from the back, we will start to see more balls over the opposition fullbacks heads, Shackell is better at playing those balls than Pearce imo.

Seems to me like Rowett wants a solid base to allow the flair players to do their business

Waking from an afternoon slumber to the possibility of signing Curtis Davies is not something I had planned for.

Centre backs very rarely excite me, they just don't float my boat, I'm all about those pacey wingers and goal scorers. 

Initial thoughts are, isn't he a bit old, 32. You have 3 seasons ish max injuries pending.

Which hasn't he had a few off? 

Baird was also a bit old, still is, even more now actually.

Being old and not exciting isn't always a bad thing. 

1 minute ago, David said:

Waking from an afternoon slumber to the possibility of signing Curtis Davies is not something I had planned for.

Centre backs very rarely excite me, they just don't float my boat, I'm all about those pacey wingers and goal scorers. 

Initial thoughts are, isn't he a bit old, 32. You have 3 seasons ish max injuries pending.

Which hasn't he had a few off? 

Baird was also a bit old, still is, even more now actually.

Being old and not exciting isn't always a bad thing. 

It's a bit better than Shotton though isn't it? That's what people were expecting when Rowett arrived.

Its interesting that he's apparently "close to signing" yet none of us have heard a peep. If it wasn't for a brother/a wum on Twitter, we would possibly have first heard about an interest through an official announcement. I'm not naming names, but has anybody left the club recently that could be a reason for that?

I've definitely been of the opinion that we've too many over 30s. We've bought experienced players with promotions under there belt a number of times now and it hasn't proven to be a winning formula.

As a player I've always rated him but I'd only like to see him coming in if it was part of a shake up seeing Shackell or Pearce go the other way.

Keoghs the last CB I'd have out of the door from the current bunch but if we need the money to re-invest and want a real change in the make up of the team then it could be the way to go.

Archived