Keogh

TroyDyer

26 minutes ago, Scott_dcfc said:

I've been slightly critical of Keogh myself, but only as I think taking the armband from him will help him be at his best.

To be fair I think that might be the case and I can see Rowett passing it onto Davies anyway this season.  I recall Rowett commenting when he joined last season that he had "heard Keogh was at his best when he didn't have the added responsibility of captaincy".  Be interesting to see if he has come to that conclusion himself

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

One of those is a left back (of which we have arguably four), and the other is a centre-half who arguably isn't any better than what we already have. Feasible, but not sensible! 

We have already had Ayala 

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

???

I think nowadays the DET get their stories from this forum or other rags.

I barely look on the site any more. Outdated and dross.

They know more than they can report. It's always the case. Same with Radio Derby. They don't post every rumour that makes the national rags, just the ones that end up gaining some traction.

On 09/07/2017 at 21:56, Wolfie20 said:

Agreed - not a legend but certainly one of our best defenders in the last 20 years. If you're ok with him going, who would you replace him with? It has to be somewhat better otherwise what's the point. Most if not all the better defenders are playing in the PL.

That is quite funny, thanks for that. :)

8 hours ago, Duracell said:

Hardly much of a compliment...

Exactly. I read it and started to laugh, before realising that it probably isn't far from the truth. What a depressing reality. Imagine Richard Keogh being one of the better defenders over a 20 year period. Jesus, we have witnessed some s**t.

Paul McGrath, Christian Dailly, Spencer Prior, Taribo West, Igor Stimac, Darren Moore, Dean Leacock (during his best spell), Tom Huddlestone, Chris Riggott, Danny Higginbottom.

A selection of centre backs that you could argue were better than Keogh, especially as all either played in the Prem or took us there.

Some fans criticise him but everyone will agree he gives 110% effort in every game. He leads from the front and does not hide if things go wrong. He takes responsibility within the team if those aren't captain qualities then I don't know what are. 

If does eventually go we will miss him.

11 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Some fans criticise him but everyone will agree he gives 110% effort in every game. He leads from the front and does not hide if things go wrong. He takes responsibility within the team if those aren't captain qualities then I don't know what are. 

Frantically waving your arms and berating team mates on the pitch, following on occasions his own mistakes, have to disagree with that. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Paul McGrath, Christian Dailly, Spencer Prior, Taribo West, Igor Stimac, Darren Moore, Dean Leacock (during his best spell), Tom Huddlestone, Chris Riggott, Danny Higginbottom.

A selection of centre backs that you could argue were better than Keogh, especially as all either played in the Prem or took us there.

Have to take Big Daz and Leacock out of their I'm afraid - Loved them both but Keogh is better - And technically I think 20 years would be start of 98-99 season to end of 16-17 season? So couldn't have McGrath in there - Plus Huddlestone as a CB wasn't as strong 

Does anyone have any actual ITK about whether there's any consideration being given to a Keogh sale?

I can understand selling Ince, Hughes and Christie but this would be MAD - Captain, best CB for the last few years, always gives 100%, only one with any fight when we're losing - He's not perfect but then no player at championship level is! We'd also have a brand new defence with no consistency - PLEASE tell me this is just nonsense newspaper talk...

@SuperDerbySuperRams please help my fragile mental state on this one!!!

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The question I ask about this is can we sell Keogh and replace him with someone better without having to spend silly money? I think the answer to that question is no so I do not think this would be a good move for Derby.

Also - Even if there was a better, younger CB available - That would give us almost a brand spanking new defence - Which is NEVER a good idea - Consistency is key for defences

29 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Also - Even if there was a better, younger CB available - That would give us almost a brand spanking new defence - Which is NEVER a good idea - Consistency is key for defences

I agree that consistency is key for defences, but it's more a question of not chopping and changing week in and week out, just as Mac 1 did at the end of his last season. That said, I still wouldn't sell Keogh unless we have a better replacement.

55 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Have to take Big Daz and Leacock out of their I'm afraid - Loved them both but Keogh is better - And technically I think 20 years would be start of 98-99 season to end of 16-17 season? So couldn't have McGrath in there - Plus Huddlestone as a CB wasn't as strong 

Does anyone have any actual ITK about whether there's any consideration being given to a Keogh sale?

I can understand selling Ince, Hughes and Christie but this would be MAD - Captain, best CB for the last few years, always gives 100%, only one with any fight when we're losing - He's not perfect but then no player at championship level is! We'd also have a brand new defence with no consistency - PLEASE tell me this is just nonsense newspaper talk...

Wednesday bid a while back but no approach from Birmingham as of last week 

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wednesday bid a while back but no approach from Birmingham as of last week 

Okay - Any indications from the club that they're willing to sell? I would imagine there HAVE to be players in the squad who Rowett has identified as "Don't sell to promotion rivals whatever the price" players?

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Totally agree, yes Keogh makes the odd mistake (highlighted to the nth degree because of Wembley) but you show me a centre half that doesn't make mistakes but covers as much as Keogh, has the ability to bring the ball out of defence and break through a teams midfield, gives 100% effort and commitment in every game then you'd have a Premier League star on your hands and he probably wouldn't be playing for Ireland, he'd have been capped by England way before anyone looked into his parentage.  If he is sold then I hope we have a gem up our sleeve who is +6 years younger - Keogh is a player you would only fully appreciate what you have if and when he's gone.

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Go straight to the naughty step (or back to school) for that.

35 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

Totally agree, yes Keogh makes the odd mistake (highlighted to the nth degree because of Wembley) but you show me a centre half that doesn't make mistakes but covers as much as Keogh, has the ability to bring the ball out of defence and break through a teams midfield, gives 100% effort and commitment in every game then you'd have a Premier League star on your hands and he probably wouldn't be playing for Ireland, he'd have been capped by England way before anyone looked into his parentage.  If he is sold then I hope we have a gem up our sleeve who is +6 years younger - Keogh is a player you would only fully appreciate what you have if and when he's gone.

I have said before  that Keogh's best period by far with Derby was when he played under Paul Clement. He was disciplined in his play, he didn't go charging about, he held his position and looked like a good defender so he does have it in him. What I see in him now though is a player who doesn't have the ability to stand still, he leaves his man to chase the ball, he does bring the ball out of defence but rarely seems to know where he is going with it, mainly because his head is down at the time. The result is that he either stops dead and plays it back, or he misses a simple pass because he is too busy running with the ball. 

I don't tend to talk about mistakes he makes because all players do that even in the Prem. I am more in the camp that thinks we can do better with a solid defender who thinks about the game a little more and isn't so reactive to situations outside of his immediate responsibility. When I think of the better central defenders that Derby County have had. None of them charged around - all of them read the game way better.

3 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Have to emphatically disagree with this. Even the most ardent Keoghites admit that he often passes the buck and berates teammates. I'm still trying to get over the bollocking he gave Albentosa because Keogh went to take a throw in, the linesman gave it the other way, and Keogh had to leg it back having been caught out of position. 

Archived