Keogh

TroyDyer

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I like Keogh, I am in no way part of the Keogh-is-the-reincarnation-of-the-devil-brigade, but for the right price I think we should consider selling him.

£5mil is something which I would consider, however I feel the fact that it would be to a fellow promotion chasing club would allow us to squeeze a million or so extra out of it.

He's been great for us, incredibly consistent and virtually ever-present. We signed him from recently relegated Coventry for just over a million five years ago. He's proved his worth several times over. If you think he's the sole reason we didn't go up that day, and still hate him because of that then I'm sorry but you are a fool.

My reasons for selling him would be that I want to see this squad shaken up. We've been nearly men for too long and tweaking it probably isn't going to change an awful lot. We need a new core and a new identity. Keogh is a very good Championship degender, but I feel that's all he'll ever be. He's approaching his thirties and if we can get the majority, if not all of the transfer fees we would pay for Hanley & Wisdom, then I think that would be a very good deal for the club.

Brilliant post. Exactly spot on all of what is said here.

6 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Agree. I'd rather have Hanley and Wisdom than Keogh and Christie any day. My ideal situation would be to sell Pearce and Christie and then have a back 5 of - 

Forsyth - Hanley - Keogh - Wisdom

Carson

That'd be the best defence in the league. 

Reckon it might be

Carson 

Wisdom.       Baird.     Davies.    Shackell.  Hanley.  Forsyth

Flint.           Dumic.         Iorfa 

Donaldson

Neck braces at the ready!

27 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Reckon it might be

Carson 

Wisdom.       Baird.     Davies.    Shackell.  Hanley.  Forsyth

Flint.           Dumic.         Iorfa 

Donaldson

Neck braces at the ready!

There'll be a few balls bouncing around in the "Toys r us"  car park then! 

God hope GR doesnt read this forum at the moment,everyones got an opinion of who should go who should stay. I really dont  give a damm .With the exception of Carson if the money was right they can all go including keogh, Some of em can go for very little if it benifits the club long term as far as am concerned. 

I am sure GR will bring in appropiate players to improve the squad overall and that may require selling some of our more proven players such as keogh or Ince to enable him to get the balance and core of the squad to his liking.

34 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I see you on their forum stirring the pot @RamsPolls

As for Keogh, our best defender by a mile. Shackell and Pearce should be out the door long before Keogh goes. If they aren't I will begin to have my doubts about Rowett.

It depends what rowett wants this team to be like though. Keogh is the best ball player, and the best footballing defender by a mile yes, but the best at physically defending? That's shackell, And I think rowetts more focused on that aspect. Also you've gotta consider we'll get **** all for Pearce or shackell, Keogh is worth a lot more than them two

16 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

God hope GR doesnt read this forum at the moment,everyones got an opinion of who should go who should stay. I really dont  give a damm .With the exception of Carson if the money was right they can all go including keogh, Some of em can go for very little if it benifits the club long term as far as am concerned. 

I am sure GR will bring in appropiate players to improve the squad overall and that may require selling some of our more proven players such as keogh or Ince to enable him to get the balance and core of the squad to his liking.

Best post I've read in a while ????

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It depends what rowett wants this team to be like though. Keogh is the best ball player, and the best footballing defender by a mile yes, but the best at physically defending? That's shackell, And I think rowetts more focused on that aspect. Also you've gotta consider we'll get **** all for Pearce or shackell, Keogh is worth a lot more than them two

Which is precisely why we should keep him. Did you see how laboured our play was last season when trying to build attacks? It was shocking, with Keogh the only one centre back half way decent at passing the ball.

Before you say, Rowett wants to go more direct, there is a huge difference between going direct with intelligent long balls and hoofing the ball and hoping it drops to someone. Shackell and Pearce do the latter, while Keogh can do the former.

There will also be times when this approach doesn't work and you need to play the ball from the back. 

If the answer is Shackell/Pearce/another CB who's useless on the ball, I don't want to know the question.

2 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Which is precisely why we should keep him. Did you see how laboured our play was last season when trying to build attacks? It was shocking, with Keogh the only one centre back half way decent at passing the ball.

Before you say, Rowett wants to go more direct, there is a huge difference between going direct with intelligent long balls and hoofing the ball and hoping it drops to someone. Shackell and Pearce do the latter, while Keogh can do the former.

There will also be times when this approach doesn't work and you need to play the ball from the back. 

If the answer is Shackell/Pearce/another CB who's useless on the ball, I don't want to know the question.

I suppose we could sell Martin and get Kenwyn Jones! :unsure:

I think selling Keogh would hurt us a lot. Now, I'm not dead against selling him, but we need to ensure we bring in a ball-playing centre back who is better than him for the same/less money. 

I think it's fair to say that we don't naturally have the most talented footballing back four. Keogh has the ability to bring the ball out and is essentially our link to midfield and sometimes attack. He very, very, very rarely plays a random punt into the corner. 

I don't buy into the fact that Shackell and Pearce are worse than the average joe on the ball, because they're not. However, when teams are blocking channels and not allowing an 'easy' pass to be had. They don't have the ability nor craft to spot an opportunity. Keogh usually charges through the middle dragging people towards him, which creates space for others. It's mocked, but 95% of the time it works. I can't imagine Shackell charging through the lines in order to create a pass. He, and Pearce, would look at hitting a space for the midfield/forward players to fight the opposition for. 

He's either good enough to get us promoted or he is not. If you side with the latter, then surelt selling him to any of our promotion rivals would weaken them by your theory.

My side is that I'm seeing stronger rumours of Ince and Keogh, our better two players and the deadwood around them not being linked with anyone because who will take them?!?

Archived