Keogh

TroyDyer

Agreed - not a legend but certainly one of our best defenders in the last 20 years. If you're ok with him going, who would you replace him with? It has to be somewhat better otherwise what's the point. Most if not all the better defenders are playing in the PL.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

I disagree. I really don't see Keogh as a legend of the club.....nor do I boo and heckle him and never have. I'm marginally in the "time to move on" camp....but I'll be happy to eat a humble pie if he stays and puts in another good season. I'm grateful for his service to club, his desire and determination to do well will never be in doubt...but in my eyes he's not a legend. Compare him to our other 'legend' centre halves down the years and I think he comes up short.

Please understand Richard Keogh isn't one of the best centre halves I've seen in a Derby shirt.

For me its just the way he has conducted himself and been a leader.

Plus two time player of the year.

Bobby Davison was never the best striker but he too has some form of legendary status.

Of course Keogh doesn't come close to Big boy Roy, Colin Todd, Mark Wright just to name a few.

But he has still carved a niche in the clubs history. 

40 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

I disagree. I really don't see Keogh as a legend of the club.....nor do I boo and heckle him and never have. I'm marginally in the "time to move on" camp....but I'll be happy to eat a humble pie if he stays and puts in another good season. I'm grateful for his service to club, his desire and determination to do well will never be in doubt...but in my eyes he's not a legend. Compare him to our other 'legend' centre halves down the years and I think he comes up short.

Over 200 appearances in 5 years as captain in a Derby shirt. Michael Johnson, for example, made 138 appearances over 5 years and is held in very high regard by our fans. 

You'll not find many players nowadays who clearly puts their heart and soul into a football club like Keogh. He wears that shirt with pride. If, at the end of his career at Derby, Keogh isn't up there with the likes of Johnson in the minds of the fans, then we'd be doing him a huge disservice. Sure he's no 'legend' compared to the types of players all you old farts remember, but he deserves a level of respect that, bizarrely, some fans just aren't willing to give.

Best central defender Derby have had since Riggott for me, not as good as the defenders pre-riggott. As a captain I'm not sure, he can flap under pressure, his best season was under Clement when he didn't have the captaincy for most of it. But no question he's put his heart and soul into the club, his body on the line in matches, the number of matches he's played also indicates someone who is willing to play when not 100% fit for good of the team. He deserves far more respect than he gets at times.

As for moving Keogh on, I see no reason for doing this unless there is a high quality replacement lined up. If we started the season with Davies, Pearce and Shackell as our centre halves, I'd be concerned (largely due to Shackell's recent fitness record). People will say Wisdom can cover but fact we've sold Christie means Wisdom must have been signed as right back.

Keep Keogh or replace him with someone better - which could cost money better spent on improving the team elsewhere.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Over 200 appearances in 5 years as captain in a Derby shirt. Michael Johnson, for example, made 138 appearances over 5 years and is held in very high regard by our fans. 

You'll not find many players nowadays who clearly puts their heart and soul into a football club like Keogh. He wears that shirt with pride. If, at the end of his career at Derby, Keogh isn't up there with the likes of Johnson in the minds of the fans, then we'd be doing him a huge disservice. Sure he's no 'legend' compared to the types of players all you old farts remember, but he deserves a level of respect that, bizarrely, some fans just aren't willing to give.

Per my original post, I respect Keogh for his service to the club and his desire/determination - I agree with your views here....its a rare bread. For what its worth, in my lifetime we have not been Champions of England so I'm not comparing with those "types of players"....but if remembering the impact that Stimac had in 95/96 makes me an old fart.. then fair enough!!

Keogh has never even looked as good as Leacock did in promotion season! He didn't look very good before McClaren's positivity made the team a lot better. 

A proper organised manager will get the likes of Pearce playing to his level. 

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Keogh has never even looked as good as Leacock did in promotion season! He didn't look very good before McClaren's positivity made the team a lot better. 

A proper organised manager will get the likes of Pearce playing to his level. 

But not improve keogh said level?

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Best central defender Derby have had since Riggott for me, not as good as the defenders pre-riggott. As a captain I'm not sure, he can flap under pressure, his best season was under Clement when he didn't have the captaincy for most of it. But no question he's put his heart and soul into the club, his body on the line in matches, the number of matches he's played also indicates someone who is willing to play when not 100% fit for good of the team. He deserves far more respect than he gets at times.

As for moving Keogh on, I see no reason for doing this unless there is a high quality replacement lined up. If we started the season with Davies, Pearce and Shackell as our centre halves, I'd be concerned (largely due to Shackell's recent fitness record). People will say Wisdom can cover but fact we've sold Christie means Wisdom must have been signed as right back.

Keep Keogh or replace him with someone better - which could cost money better spent on improving the team elsewhere.

Wisdom, Baird (and Huddlestone!?) can cover at centre half. But I have hopes Shackell surgery will ultimately cure his problem

6 minutes ago, feisty said:

Wisdom, Baird (and Huddlestone!?) can cover at centre half. But I have hopes Shackell surgery will ultimately cure his problem

I didn't realise they could have an operation to instil passing ability and composure on the ball.....;)

I will put it to you like this fast forward to maybe a play off final next year and Keogh is walking out the tunnel.

Every rams fan will be thinking plz plz plz not again have a good game dont do that vital blunder after playing 98% good football for most of the game. Fact is he messes up when it matters most , he know has a stigma around him at this club we know it , he knows it.

Its bound to affect his game , he wil ltry and over compensate rather than play a natural game like he would if things like this had never have happened.

So at wembley would you sooner have Keogh walking out or a NEW defender.

TIME TO LET KEOGH GO and turan around those players that have gone stale and got use to it !!.

Rowett is impressing me , done a great job of what other mangers have failed to recognise so far.

19 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

I will put it to you like this fast forward to maybe a play off final next year and Keogh is walking out the tunnel.

Every rams fan will be thinking plz plz plz not again have a good game dont do that vital blunder after playing 98% good football for most of the game. Fact is he messes up when it matters most , he know has a stigma around him at this club we know it , he knows it.

Its bound to affect his game , he wil ltry and over compensate rather than play a natural game like he would if things like this had never have happened.

So at wembley would you sooner have Keogh walking out or a NEW defender.

TIME TO LET KEOGH GO and turan around those players that have gone stale and got use to it !!.

Rowett is impressing me , done a great job of what other mangers have failed to recognise so far.

Glad you know what every Derby fan thinks. Can you tell me what I am thinking now?

Keogh is certainly not one of the best CBs, but if you take him out as it stands, we don't have another CB who can pass the ball. Shackell has pillows for feet, Pearce is scarcely better, and Curtis Davies hasn't come with much of reputation for being a ball player.

It says it all that 4 permanent managers have picked him, consistently. Barely spends any time out injured.

To upgrade him would be costly. A CB who can pass is already a rarity at this level.

10 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Keogh is certainly not one of the best CBs, but if you take him out as it stands, we don't have another CB who can pass the ball. Shackell has pillows for feet, Pearce is scarcely better, and Curtis Davies hasn't come with much of reputation for being a ball player.

It says it all that 4 permanent managers have picked him, consistently. Barely spends any time out injured.

To upgrade him would be costly. A CB who can pass is already a rarity at this level.

Have to agree with this completely. There's no way I'd replace him yet unless there was someone of serious quality for the division coming in, Ake for example at Bournemouth

11 hours ago, cosmic said:

Added to which, prior to joining Derby, and I quote...

Keogh was a first-team regular for Carlisle, playing 95 times and scoring six goals in all competitions for the Cumbrians over two seasons and also a short loan spell. He also won the club's Player of the Year Award for the 2009–10 season. At the end of the season, he joined Coventry City on a free transfer and was again a near ever-present, playing 95 league and cup matches across two seasons, scoring one goal. Keogh was named the Player of the Year for the 2011–12 season

Not to mention 15 international caps.

Mr indestructible.

20 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

absolute b******s. Being unable to tackle is NOT a mistake, laying off a worldie assist to a previously prolific striker is a howler.

Can't believe I'm reading this.

Are you serious? Forsyth and Buxton both had Hoilett pinned in a corner after he'd already wandered up the wing, they had so many opportunities to tackle him or stop the cross. Equally their fault.

Chill out with the capitals too, it makes you seem CRAZY.

Archived