Apple

David

I like a lot of Apple's stuff but I avoid it because it's not very inter-operable, and they do that primarily to sell more products rather than improve your life as a consumer. The "eco-system" is anti-consumer and seems increasingly so.

Apple TV is case in point. I have a very good Windows laptop (comparable to a Mac twice its price) that couldn't make much good use of one... but it can for my Chromecast that cost I think £25.

Same for the iPhone 7's lack of an audio port. I realise you can buy a splitter so you can charge and play audio at the same time, but why should I? The whole exercise is designed to sell Apple products, not help me.

I also hate the lack of versatility of the iPhone - lack of file structure etc has always just driven me crazy. I used to have a work iPhone and it just felt unnecessarily restricted compared to my personal old Samsung, to the point I'd often end up reverting to my personal phone to send complex emails etc.

I now have a Pixel. It's been great. It can do everything and more than an iPhone can, but the core smartphone experience is just as snappy as the iPhone. Google also gave me unlimited max resolution phone storage when I got it, which has been immensely useful and I'm reminded of every time my girlfriend complains her phone is nagging her about her maxxed out iCloud - again, fleecing customers.

So buying an iPad - even though it's the best tablet -to then spend a further £2k to get it to work properly, when I could buy a slightly worse alternative that works with other hardware better for half the price is a no brainer to me.

12 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

I'm reminded of every time my girlfriend complains her phone is nagging her about her maxxed out iCloud - again, fleecing customers.

Bit surprised by this point, having just received my iCloud receipt today, 79p a month for 50gb. 5gb account is free.

Google Drive 15gb for free, $1.99pm for 100GB, $9.99pm for 1TB or  $99.99pm for 10TB

Dropbox 2gb free or £8pm for plus which gives you 1TB

Apple also offer 200gb for £2.50pm or 2TB for £6.99pm

Apple offer better prices, Google give the better free account which if you're under 15gb is fine but with backups, music and photos now that will soon get snapped up still

Edited by David

35 minutes ago, David said:

Bit surprised by this point, having just received my iCloud receipt today, 79p a month for 50gb. 5gb account is free.

Google Drive 15gb for free, $1.99pm for 100GB, $9.99pm for 1TB or  $99.99pm for 10TB

Apple offer better prices, Google give the better free account which if you're under 15gb is fine but with backups, music and photos now that will soon get snapped up still

go on son, give it to him :ph34r:

DCFC Fans is an unofficial fans forum, we are in no way affiliated or connected to Derby County Football Club  Apple but if you put an Apple logo on a turd we will cue all night and buy it for £6k :lol:

1 minute ago, LesterRam said:

go on son, give it to him :ph34r:

DCFC Fans is an unofficial fans forum, we are in no way affiliated or connected to Derby County Football Club  Apple but if you put an Apple logo on a turd we will cue all night and buy it for £6k :lol:

Get back to your left right wing taxing him her not them topic and leave the serious stuff to the big boys ;) 

Edited by David

47 minutes ago, David said:

Put simply, if you buy a Pixel all your GDrive photos and video storage is unlimited. Whereas my girlfriend's iPhone is trying to back up her billion selfies to the iCloud and doesn't seem to be working because they want money.

For the rest of my stuff, I have 1tb of storage from Microsoft that I get with an Office subscription I'd pay for anyway - more than I will ever use.

Edited by Kennington Ram

1 minute ago, Kennington Ram said:

Put simply, if you buy a Pixel all your GDrive photos and video storage is unlimited. Whereas my girlfriend's iPhone is trying to back up her billion selfies to the iCloud and doesn't seem to be working because they want money.

For the rest of my stuff, I have 1tb of storage from Microsoft that I get with an Office subscription I'd pay for anyway - more than I will ever use.

she sent most of them to me, I will store them on her behalf :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

Guess that's kinda cool, have no comeback for that one for once. Using it to lure people away from Samsung probably, cheeky tactic. 

Don't think 79p is too bad though, not as good as free but doesn't leave me feeling fleeced. 

Just now, LesterRam said:

I haven't been saving my selfies on your iCloud have I?

You know iCloud isn't secure right? find them all over the internet (anyone reading especially Mozza DO NOT post links, I will ban you, don't test me)

12 minutes ago, David said:

Guess that's kinda cool, have no comeback for that one for once. Using it to lure people away from Samsung probably, cheeky tactic. 

Don't think 79p is too bad though, not as good as free but doesn't leave me feeling fleeced. 

Fair enough. 79p or iCloud itself on its own isn't that bad, but I guess my frustration is that it's an expensive phone already and the iCloud isn't massively inter-operable anyway. So auto-backing your photos to iCloud, asking you to pay and then limiting how you can then access them later just feels anti-consumer.

1 minute ago, Kennington Ram said:

Fair enough. 79p or iCloud itself on its own isn't that bad, but I guess my frustration is that it's an expensive phone already and the iCloud isn't massively inter-operable anyway. So auto-backing your photos to iCloud, asking you to pay and then limiting how you can then access them later just feels anti-consumer.

You can turn photos off for iCloud, just stores them on your device then. With the increased storage in phones now many will get by without. Obviously if you use multiple devices and want to sync then you need the cloud. 

Whilst I'm on this, all the drama around broadband companies not being honest with customers what speeds they should get, it's about time all phone companies separated storage for the operating system and default apps so if you buy a 32gb phone, 32gb is what you get.

16GB phones are being phased out now so not much of an issue but still, loada ****** that is

1 minute ago, David said:

You can turn photos off for iCloud, just stores them on your device then. With the increased storage in phones now many will get by without. Obviously if you use multiple devices and want to sync then you need the cloud. 

Whilst I'm on this, all the drama around broadband companies not being honest with customers what speeds they should get, it's about time all phone companies separated storage for the operating system and default apps so if you buy a 32gb phone, 32gb is what you get.

16GB phones are being phased out now so not much of an issue but still, loada ****** that is

Yes, it is utter crap. Similarly, providers of internet capable devices should be required to provide a commitment to how regularly they'll issue security updates, and for how long. Android phones are the worst for this, but now that every TV, fridge etc is going online consumers should be able to buy a product with some confidence that their data won't end up in a Russian kid's basement.

One thing Apple get right is the packaging. 

It's the first thing you notice about a product when you get it, and the level of design they put into it is far above anything their competitors do, in my experience.

Just unboxed a Samsung s8, and it's just a functional cardboard box with a vacuum moulded tray for the phone to sit in, with all the paraphernalia tucked underneath, admittedly with some nice stock headphones.

Every IPhone/IPod I've had comes in a nice hard case, which seems smaller than the contents inside.

It makes no difference to how well the product works, but you can't help but think if that's the attention to detail the box gets, how great must the contents be.

9 hours ago, David said:

All free on Google.....(cloud storage,that is)

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, David said:

It's almost time again boys and girls, September 12th has been confirmed as Apple Day. Looks like it's going to be a big one, credit cards on stand by!

Filling my boots with all the pre-launch merchandise... Keep buying them phones suckers..