Apple

David

Rooting also voids the warranty, even if you unroot Samsung will know, so whilst it's possible it's not exactly recommended just like jailbreaking. That's a big risk on a £800 phone to take isn't it?

As for Android updates, Nougat is 6 months old now yet still not available on all phones, it's only installed on 7% of active devices. iOS when it's released it's released for all phones, same day unless it's a super old device that's not getting supported.

3 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I heard Samsung are designing a flip phone, apparently Apple trumped that and are currently designing another bendy phone :ph34r:

Be the other way round that! Before and after the first iPhone 

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

3 hours ago, LesterRam said:

you taking the piss?

No, technology is moving forward at an exponential rate. The amount of money that companies like google and Apple are making are allowing them to invest in r&d projects that would otherwise seem frivolous. 

Do you think google would've invested in photographing every street in the world, and then giving it away for free, if they weren't making silly money elsewhere. If not for that sort of investment, we'd all still be deciding between multiway, street map, or the rac route finder. 

Its like the tv licence. We moan about it, but people pay for it and it funds all sorts of useful things that the BBC do. We might not benefit from all of them, but when someone in Uzbekistan checks the march report on the BBC website, our licence pounds have paid for that.

The fact you have a Samsung edge 8 or whatever, stems from some geek buying an Apple Lisa back in the day, Apple getting a shitload of money, and then being able to invest in projects like iPod, and eventually iPhone, which every other company could then take that idea and run with it. Maybe the Samsung phone is better now, but the modern smartphone owes everything to those original Mac users.

3 hours ago, David said:

Rooting also voids the warranty, even if you unroot Samsung will know, so whilst it's possible it's not exactly recommended just like jailbreaking. That's a big risk on a £800 phone to take isn't it?

As for Android updates, Nougat is 6 months old now yet still not available on all phones, it's only installed on 7% of active devices. iOS when it's released it's released for all phones, same day unless it's a super old device that's not getting supported.

The thing is,if you are spending iPhone money on high end android devices such as the google pixel,Samsung and HTC devices,you are getting the latest updates....the ones that don't tend to be the cheapest models that cost about a sixth of a iPhone and the owners of them aren't so bothered as they are just getting cheap smartphones which they couldn't otherwise afford.

Having said that,I have a Wileyfox swift 2 which is on the latest nouget operating system,android pay and has a 5.5 inch screen,fingerprint sensor,great camera,32 gigs of memory and runs as smooth as silk...and that cost me £160 brand new with a years screen warranty as standard so you don't need to spend a fortune to get a brilliant phone at the third of the price of a tiny screened basic i phone......plus I get a security update from Google every month from Wileyfox.

I bought it sim free and have a 20gb data plan and unlimited calls and texts which costs me £20 a month so it's a vast saving.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

53 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

No, technology is moving forward at an exponential rate. The amount of money that companies like google and Apple are making are allowing them to invest in r&d projects that would otherwise seem frivolous. 

Do you think google would've invested in photographing every street in the world, and then giving it away for free, if they weren't making silly money elsewhere. If not for that sort of investment, we'd all still be deciding between multiway, street map, or the rac route finder. 

Its like the tv licence. We moan about it, but people pay for it and it funds all sorts of useful things that the BBC do. We might not benefit from all of them, but when someone in Uzbekistan checks the march report on the BBC website, our licence pounds have paid for that.

The fact you have a Samsung edge 8 or whatever, stems from some geek buying an Apple Lisa back in the day, Apple getting a shitload of money, and then being able to invest in projects like iPod, and eventually iPhone, which every other company could then take that idea and run with it. Maybe the Samsung phone is better now, but the modern smartphone owes everything to those original Mac users.

Apple spend £1.56p on development, it doesn't spend all day, every day fighting patent wars due to developing its own products, they tend to hijack huawei development, then the Chinese send them to court and win, then they bring the case to a US court and they overturn it, back and forth and then China get the arse and say you can't sell Apple phones on Chinese territory, they relent and pay then repeat, same with Samsung.

5 hours ago, David said:

Slightly off topic. Really liking the new control centre, wasn't a huge fan of iOS 10 swipe up then across.

Even customisable which is blatant Android copying 

IMG_0044.JPG

With the one on the right though, doesn't that just eventually become another home screen? I do get it, but it seems like one step away to 'access to all your favourite apps'. We'll all my favourite apps are on the home screen, so what's the point. 

Apple have been really bad widgets like android. But they're getting there with this, as well as the widgets you can have in the notification bit (swipe down and right). 

Im not too sure about that. Trying to copy android a bit too much, and loosing a bit of its appleness. There's almost too much going on now. Swipe right from the home screen and I get a bunch of stuff, swipe down and I get a bunch more, swipe right again, and there's yet more, swipe up and there's all these thins, and that's before I've swiped left to reveal another two pages of apps. 

My swipe right screen is pretty empty, barely use it, would disable it completely if I could.

The control centre I'm looking forward to having access to a few more settings, won't have anywhere near the amount on the right. Don't see them putting apps themselves in it, be kinda pointless having a home screen.

I can see the new iPad dock making it's way on to the iPhone tho, which would make more sense having as the swipe up, switching screens through multi tasking I don't use, just seems easier to go back to the home screen.

Move the control centre to the swipe right.

Then swipe left for a widget screen.

Infinite scroll on the main page full of apps.

It's quite odd the way people talk about phones. I'm not really sure how that's come about. Why don't people go on about kettles or washing machines? Maybe they do. 

The whole 'mine is better than yours' thing, is even stranger. Is that simply about money? Harry Enfield style? You could give me the latest highest spec laptop or desktop, from either Apple or anyone else, and it'd probably never even get switched on. It does absolutely nothing, that I want doing. Well that's not strictly true. It can get me online, so that I can use a wonderful site such as this! But there's so many ways I can do that already. 

I get it that they are extremely useful for work, and especially in a creative way with Apple. 

Before phones, what was it that people went on about in that way? 

Phones seem to have become like your football team, or favourite band. You sort of support them, almost no matter what they do :)

14 minutes ago, David said:

Kettles are like Androids, I'm dumbfounded people still use them. Hot water dispensers are the way to go, they pour out 250ml water each time, only boil what you need. 

u_04013995.jpg

Will that thing chuck out water that's at whatever temp you set? 

Just now, ketteringram said:

Will that thing chuck out water that's at whatever temp you set? 

No, don't think you can do that on a kettle either can you? Might be more fancy ones that do, I know they do an upgraded one of mine that you can set the cup size for latte's and that, not posh in this house tho, milk, bag and hot water does the job for me.

5 minutes ago, David said:

No, don't think you can do that on a kettle either can you? Might be more fancy ones that do, I know they do an upgraded one of mine that you can set the cup size for latte's and that, not posh in this house tho, milk, bag and hot water does the job for me.

Well, no. But I'm pretty good at  knowing when to turn it off before it boils. Like the Mrs. 

I never drink tea. 

Edited by ketteringram

6 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Well, no. But I'm pretty good at  knowing when to turn it off before it boils. Like the Mrs. 

I never drink tea. 

See thats the beauty of this, place the cup on, milk and bag in, click go, return to Jeremy Kyle for 5 minutes. Go back, quick stir and done. No more standing around brushing crumbs off the side to stand in