Apple

David

Thanks. I might change the battery or just hang on until I get a new one. I’m still perfectly happy with what this one does though and it still looks like new. Seems a shame to bin it off. I wish I’d known about not installing the updates. 

46 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Thanks. I might change the battery or just hang on until I get a new one. I’m still perfectly happy with what this one does though and it still looks like new. Seems a shame to bin it off. I wish I’d known about not installing the updates. 

I'm sure a wise man on here has given the advice that you should always install every update possible?

Multiple family iPads, and old Mac Book, iPhones and one account. Easy ? ... Naaaaa you have a cloud and you don't know which photos are in the cloud, which aren't, why there seem to be about 9 versions of each photo on the Mac, then your iPad storage always lurks about 0.9gig from full and Cloud wants 2.99 a month for a bit more storage for photos that you don't really want but the prospect of going one by one through them to delete them is just too much, and anyway have you deleted the cloud version of the one on your iPad ? How many passwords, verifications, id's, reminder codes, DNA sampling and recovery emails, back ups, auto back ups, Apple Pay, and then anything you've paid for isn't yours anyway, you've just licensed it .. What's that all about ! The IT and communications industry .. Hugely clever, very useful but boy are we being scre**d on a by the minute basis. 

.... Apple, definition ... A handy tool with great access to your bank account I order to feed the hungry of Southern California and Chzen zen province. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Multiple family iPads, and old Mac Book, iPhones and one account. Easy ? ... Naaaaa

Are you trying to use multiple devices with your family all under one Apple ID?

If so that’s your problem right there, no wonder you can’t find anything, it’s not designed for that, you need one account per person.

Also iPads and iPhones do not support user account switching, MacBooks you can.

It’s all pretty simple if you use them as intended, and the hard drive limit is just that, if you have a ton of pics you need to buy devices with large storage. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

Multiple family iPads, and old Mac Book, iPhones and one account. Easy ? ... Naaaaa you have a cloud and you don't know which photos are in the cloud, which aren't, why there seem to be about 9 versions of each photo on the Mac, then your iPad storage always lurks about 0.9gig from full and Cloud wants 2.99 a month for a bit more storage for photos that you don't really want but the prospect of going one by one through them to delete them is just too much, and anyway have you deleted the cloud version of the one on your iPad ? How many passwords, verifications, id's, reminder codes, DNA sampling and recovery emails, back ups, auto back ups, Apple Pay, and then anything you've paid for isn't yours anyway, you've just licensed it .. What's that all about ! The IT and communications industry .. Hugely clever, very useful but boy are we being scre**d on a by the minute basis. 

.... Apple, definition ... A handy tool with great access to your bank account I order to feed the hungry of Southern California and Chzen zen province. 

I get your frustration. iPads should certainly have the ability for account switching. We have 3 family iPads, theyre not personal device, I can’t wven remember who’s account is logged in. We tried having a family account once, but now a bunch of our calendars are attached to that account and it’s teally hard to therefore delete that account altogether, even though we’ve given up on the idea of a family account now (and Apple, to be fair, have made it easier to share things among families). But the iPad Pro is going to lead to even more people sharing an iPad. You’re not going to have one iPad Pro per person in a family of 5. 

And because of all these accounts and devices, I’m never really sure where my photos are. They keeping doing major updates to the photos app on the MacBook. But I don’t dare even look in it now. God knows what’s in there. 

I try to avoid taking photos at all now, weirdly enough, and just get my wife to take them all. 

I appreciate what they’re doing with moments and things. That’s a great idea, and the little videos actually do work really well. But I’ve got out of the having of taking photos now, for fear of where they’ll end up, or of having thousands of photos of the same thing that I’m never bothered to delete the crap ones of. 

I should try to get back into the habit. 

I keep thinking, if I could just use this ecosystem properly, it could be wonderful, but I haven’t quite cracked it to my satisfaction. 

Its still 100 times better than android or Microsoft though. 

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

My iCloud is full of selfies too. Not mine either. ☹️

Setup two Apple ID’s, one your personal, the other family. If you want to share app purchases link it through family sharing.

On your iPhone use your personal. No kids allowed.

On your iMac set up a personal account using your personal Apple ID, then a family account using your family ID. Password protect your personal account.

iPad use the family ID if everyone uses it.

Job done.

If you need any pics or files on the iPad, manually airdrop them.

46 minutes ago, David said:

Are you trying to use multiple devices with your family all under one Apple ID?

If so that’s your problem right there, no wonder you can’t find anything, it’s not designed for that, you need one account per person.

Also iPads and iPhones do not support user account switching, MacBooks you can.

It’s all pretty simple if you use them as intended, and the hard drive limit is just that, if you have a ton of pics you need to buy devices with large storage. 

Thanks David .. I sort of realised that but these things grow .. And if I have my own Apple ID then what happens to "our" music .. Suddenly I can't play it. .. And I guess there will be a family share answer to this but ... Jees it is so clunky because it's all about " ownership" licensing and stuff .. Which all goes back to my money issue ... Apple exists because it can take zillions of micro payments from zillions of people and limit what they get for it in a myriad of complex systems that work ... But only if you are prepared to give up half your life to understanding them. 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

Thanks David .. I sort of realised that but these things grow .. And if I have my own Apple ID then what happens to "our" music .. Suddenly I can't play it. .. And I guess there will be a family share answer to this but ... Jees it is so clunky because it's all about " ownership" licensing and stuff .. Which all goes back to my money issue ... Apple exists because it can take zillions of micro payments from zillions of people and limit what they get for it in a myriad of complex systems that work ... But only if you are prepared to give up half your life to understanding them. 

If you want to share music from your Apple ID then yes set up family sharing, it will share just your app purchases, music and if you have a monthly music subscription.

This bit I don’t like, when you have family sharing setup and say child 1 wants to buy a game it gets charged to your account. 

There is an option to approve all purchases before they are made though.

To me it’s simple as I’ve seen it evolve I guess, but as with anything once you get your head around it, does get kinda simple.

My Mrs's iPhone cuts out and dies when the battery status says anything from 20-40% (not always but sometimes), she's / refusing to get a new one until her contract runs out. I want to bang a new battery in it for her but anyone know if this a software issue or an issue with the battery before I do it?

6 hours ago, Joe. said:

My Mrs's iPhone cuts out and dies when the battery status says anything from 20-40% (not always but sometimes), she's / refusing to get a new one until her contract runs out. I want to bang a new battery in it for her but anyone know if this a software issue or an issue with the battery before I do it?

Sounds software related....or just trying to avoid taking your calls/texts

7 hours ago, Joe. said:

Is it a 6s by any chance?

16 hours ago, Joe. said:

4 hours ago, Joe. said:

No 5s or se not sure

My wife has a 5s and it is doing the same, although I did notice yesterday that the screen is lifting a little along one of the sides, so the battery is probably shot (they tend to expand as they die).