Apple

David

On 28/12/2017 at 22:09, David said:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

Addressing customer concerns

We’ve always wanted our customers to be able to use their iPhones as long as possible. We’re proud that Apple products are known for their durability, and for holding their value longer than our competitors’ devices.

To address our customers’ concerns, to recognize their loyalty and to regain the trust of anyone who may have doubted Apple’s intentions, we’ve decided to take the following steps:

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.

Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.

As always, our team is working on ways to make the user experience even better, including improving how we manage performance and avoid unexpected shutdowns as batteries age.

At Apple, our customers’ trust means everything to us. We will never stop working to earn and maintain it. We are able to do the work we love only because of your faith and support — and we will never forget that or take it for granted.

Not that durable then what about a 5S

On 1/15/2018 at 17:26, richinspain said:

I’m thinking of buying an Apple TV and have seen in the local supermarket a 3rd generation that is half the price of the 4th generation. Can anyone tell me if paying the extra would give me much benefit? What I really want to use it for is watching the games on a full size tv, and also for the apps because my main tv isn’t a smart tv. What can the 4th generation do that the 3rd can’t?

When you say watching games, you mean the footy??

1 hour ago, David said:

A software update will let iPhone owners switch off the "battery saver" feature that slows down some models, Apple has confirmed.

The option to switch off the feature will appear on the iPhone 6, 6 Plus, SE, 6S, 6S Plus, 7 and 7 Plus models.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42831507?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Nice to see Apple doing something innovative. Only been able to do that on a Samsung from the S3, about 6 years ago...:ph34r:

16 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

The 5S is buggered then?

The 5S doesn't have the same power management built into the software, if your phone is slow, it's probably just a case of installing one too many software updates.

Are you running 10.2?

9 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

11.2, I think. Have I broken it? I notice that battery life is reduced and it takes 3 or 4 seconds to load things, but otherwise it’s fine. It is 4 years old. 

Sorry 11.2 yeah that's the latest, you've gone from iOS 7 to 11 that's quite a jump, 4 year old phone now, bit late now but probably should have stayed at iOS 9 at the latest. They shouldn't really let phones go that far tbh.

Battery life will have reduced, they have cycle counts and lose around 20% of it's charge maybe 18 months in with normal usage. No battery lives for ever! They may replace it for the £25 charge but it won't help with the speed now and no way of downgrading either.

28 minutes ago, David said:

Sorry 11.2 yeah that's the latest, you've gone from iOS 7 to 11 that's quite a jump, 4 year old phone now, bit late now but probably should have stayed at iOS 9 at the latest. They shouldn't really let phones go that far tbh.

Battery life will have reduced, they have cycle counts and lose around 20% of it's charge maybe 18 months in with normal usage. No battery lives for ever! They may replace it for the £25 charge but it won't help with the speed now and no way of downgrading either.

Thought you could reinstall an earlier iOS?