Apple

Day

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I had an iPhone for my birthday last month....after years of android gear my wife thought it would be a nice thing to get me.

Used it for a week and sent it back,I just couldn't get used to using one,it drove me mad!

Back to android?

How can you not get on with it. It’s the most intuitive thing imaginable. My 70 year old Mum can use her iPad without instruction, and my 2 year old son can use our iPad to FaceTime his sister (among many other things, it’s a bit concerning). 

16 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

How can you not get on with it. It’s the most intuitive thing imaginable. My 70 year old Mum can use her iPad without instruction, and my 2 year old son can use our iPad to FaceTime his sister (among many other things, it’s a bit concerning). 

They aren't intuitive at all if you are used to another system....

Ask Apple users who try to switch to android.

Just not for me,I didn't like the Apple infrastructure either,seems a lot less flexible than googles.

It was worth having a look tho,if only to confirm my preferences.

30 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

They aren't intuitive at all if you are used to another system....

Ask Apple users who try to switch to android.

Just not for me,I didn't like the Apple infrastructure either,seems a lot less flexible than googles.

It was worth having a look tho,if only to confirm my preferences.

The infrastructure being inflexible isn’t kind of the point. I don’t want to spend days looking for a phone, watch, tablet, router, docking station, home hub etc. 

I spent hours just trying to compare Alexa with the google home hub thingy for my sister. I won’t have to do that for myself, I’m just going to buy the Apple one, dead easy, saves me loads of time, one less thing to worry about. And I know it will all just work seamlessly. 

I went from Windows to a mac, having been an avid supporter of Windows, took me about 3 days to realise the interface and the intuitiveness was far superior. At the same time I moved from an android to an iPhone and never looked back. I try to use an android now, and it’s just so unintuitive, I cant find anything on it. 

On 29/12/2017 at 09:22, McRamFan said:

Taking $50 out of the cost of a replacement just shows how one of the tech companies are ripping the customer off, yes Samsung and all the other tech companies are doing it, the problem is when they slash the price people think they are being alturistic, not the actual fact they have been rippimg customers off since day one.

I don't buy this whole slowing the phone down to save the battery thing anyway. They're slowing the phones down to make them obsolete.

IMO they've slashed the price of batteries because they know it won't cost them much. Notice the bit about it's for phones which NEED a new battery. What's the odds of turning up at an Apple shop and being told that your need isn't great enough for a cheap replacement - but here's a shiny new 8/X which is really fast....

I have an iPhone and iPad but am not naiive enough to think that short term profit isn't the main driver here.

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Used it for a week and sent it back,I just couldn't get used to using one,it drove me mad!

You should have persevered. When I switched from Android to iPhone I hated it for the first two or three weeks. Once I’d got used to it I realised it I realised it was so much easier and just did everything better. 

33 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

You should have persevered. When I switched from Android to iPhone I hated it for the first two or three weeks. Once I’d got used to it I realised it I realised it was so much easier and just did everything better. 

Nah,I'm happy with what I've got now....going to invest in the new Google pixel phone,looks lovely.

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

Apparently all smartphones, regardless of the manufacturer, are making us less intelligent as a species. Ironic, given their name.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/691462

It’s the phones that are smart. It makes no claim about the users. 

I can see how an android could make you smarter though. It’s so bloody difficult to use that you’d have to be a genius to work it out. Whereas any idiot (or 2 year old) can actually use an iPhone. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s the phones that are smart. It makes no claim about the users. 

I can see how an android could make you smarter though. It’s so bloody difficult to use that you’d have to be a genius to work it out. Whereas any idiot (or 2 year old) can actually use an iPhone. 

Yes of course, but that doesn't mean their name isn't ironic given that 'smartphones' seem capable of gradually decreasing the intelligence of their users over time.

Not that I'm advocating not using them. There is no going back now, they are far too useful. But given that they can negatively effect our ability to concentrate and can actually cause some users brains to produce cortisol after brief moments without their phones, there are some reasons to be concerned about the way they are changing our behaviour.

Couldn't care less about the whole Apple vs Android debate.

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

Yes of course, but that doesn't mean their name isn't ironic given that 'smartphones' seem capable of gradually decreasing the intelligence of their users over time.

Not that I'm advocating not using them. There is no going back now, they are far too useful. But given that they can negatively effect our ability to concentrate and can actually cause some users brains to produce cortisol after brief moments without their phones, there are some reasons to be concerned about the way they are changing our behaviour.

Couldn't care less about the whole Apple vs Android debate.

I was contemplating the other daybthe itonybthat I leepntelling my kids to get off the iPad, but then they probably see me with my smartphone in hand 90% of the time (like now, at the breakfast table). 

I say I’m doing important working. That might be a lie. 

Bit I’m hoping if my kids see me doing it, they’ll think it’s not cool. The next generation probably won’t use them half as much (wishful thinking). 

56 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I was contemplating the other daybthe itonybthat I leepntelling my kids to get off the iPad, but then they probably see me with my smartphone in hand 90% of the time (like now, at the breakfast table). 

I say I’m doing important working. That might be a lie. 

Bit I’m hoping if my kids see me doing it, they’ll think it’s not cool. The next generation probably won’t use them half as much (wishful thinking). 

I'd stay off the smartphone during breakfast if that's what your coming out with! ?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m thinking of buying an Apple TV and have seen in the local supermarket a 3rd generation that is half the price of the 4th generation. Can anyone tell me if paying the extra would give me much benefit? What I really want to use it for is watching the games on a full size tv, and also for the apps because my main tv isn’t a smart tv. What can the 4th generation do that the 3rd can’t?

On 15/01/2018 at 17:26, richinspain said:

I’m thinking of buying an Apple TV and have seen in the local supermarket a 3rd generation that is half the price of the 4th generation. Can anyone tell me if paying the extra would give me much benefit? What I really want to use it for is watching the games on a full size tv, and also for the apps because my main tv isn’t a smart tv. What can the 4th generation do that the 3rd can’t?

Apps mostly. The 3rd gen is pretty barebones compared to the 4th gen. The 3rd gen just comes with preinstalled "apps" for services but nothing you can add too. Luckily you can pick up a 4th gen for a bit cheaper now they've brought out the 4K model.