Apple

David

Do you think this face recognition stuff, not just on iPhone x, but in general, actually works on the face as a whole, or just the eye? 

I don't think I change much, apart from ageing! But I work with a couple of guys in particular, who are always changing. They seem to grow a beard for a few months, then get rid of it, and stay clean shaven for a while. 

What about glasses, contacts, etc. or temporary injuries? There must be loads of you on here wearing make up too! 

Guess the software will improve massively over the next couple of years. 

10 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Do you think this face recognition stuff, not just on iPhone x, but in general, actually works on the face as a whole, or just the eye? 

I don't think I change much, apart from ageing! But I work with a couple of guys in particular, who are always changing. They seem to grow a beard for a few months, then get rid of it, and stay clean shaven for a while. 

What about glasses, contacts, etc. or temporary injuries? There must be loads of you on here wearing make up too! 

Guess the software will improve massively over the next couple of years. 

Apple have said with there’s you can grow a beard, shave, stick glasses on, hat and it will still work day and night

1 hour ago, David said:

Especially on the larger phones, finger never rests on the scanner naturally, have to twist your finger.

Apples Face ID hasn’t hit the world yet so it’s impossible to claim it’s rubbish. Facial recognition will be the future, not just because of Apple, Samsung took the first steps with iris scanner.

Cash points, the lot will start scanning faces. You can quote me on this. Just don’t ask me about the Burka.

You're thinking of the film Minority Report aren't you :lol:

Personally, I can't wait to pay for stuff with the swipe of the microchip inserted in the back of your hand.  Contactless card payments are great, but not having to fish your card/phone out will be bliss.  No more idle chit-chat with the disgruntled employees of McDonalds or Sports Direct* then...

* Note I don't go to these places regularly, but when I do, the lads & lass' who work there look like they'd rather be performing a sex act on a giraffe than have to work there...

4 minutes ago, David said:

Apple have said with there’s you can grow a beard, shave, stick glasses on, hat and it will still work day and night

...and probably be able to "Out" you as well, before long :blink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41188560

A facial recognition experiment that claims to be able to distinguish between gay and heterosexual people has sparked a row between its creators and two leading LGBT rights groups...............

34 minutes ago, Moist One said:

what's to stop a mugger/robber knocking the owner out and then using the face to open the phone before legging it?

Would need to also clear the face ID profile which will probably need the passcode, or disable the screen turning off after X mins and 

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

what's to stop a mugger/robber knocking the owner out and then using the face to open the phone before legging it?

Also, you can just close your eyes. It needs the owners attention and eye contact to work. 

That already makes it more secure than finger prints. What would stop them cutting your finger off?

they even tested it with state of the art mission impossible / arya stark type masks. 

10 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Having one on the back is even dumber, don't know why makers even bother...

I don't disagree with that because not everyone has the same size hand etc, but only place for it if they really want the whole of the front to be a screen

10 hours ago, David said:

Especially on the larger phones, finger never rests on the scanner naturally, have to twist your finger.

Apples Face ID hasn’t hit the world yet so it’s impossible to claim it’s rubbish. Facial recognition will be the future, not just because of Apple, Samsung took the first steps with iris scanner.

Cash points, the lot will start scanning faces. You can quote me on this. Just don’t ask me about the Burka.

It was about well before the iris scanner Samsung does now I had one of the old nexus phones that had face unlock. I'm sure apples with work well, sometimes, I'd be very surprised if it works first time every time

8 minutes ago, Joe. said:

It was about well before the iris scanner Samsung does now I had one of the old nexus phones that had face unlock. I'm sure apples with work well, sometimes, I'd be very surprised if it works first time every time

To be honest I don't pay huge attention to what Android phones do.

Speaking with the missus tonight though think we're actually going with the 8 this year. Give them a year to improve on the face thing and hopefully see the price come down.

The upgrade will cost me around £100, will get wireless charging and that, going for the smaller phone. 

I just changed my phone went for a smaller screen than I had before , biggest problem is they're too expensive.

I would guess that they'll start alternating years to release each series will be the iPhone X/ Samsung note one year and the iPhone 9 /Samsung s9 or whatever number the next year, can't see as many upgrading every year now they go up £100 a year and they're at £800 now. Barely even upgrade them year on year either

I’m downgrading screen size this year, have the 7+ and whilst I love the screen, the phone is just a bit too big. Was looking forward to retaining the screen size but in the standard body with the X but the price and that first year tech is saying don’t do it.

Can get around £600 on eBay for my 7+, £699 for the standard 8.

Just stacked up on Qi pads, £14 a pop for an Anker one on Amazon, picked up 4 ready to scatter around the house.

Mrs ramit tells me i need a new phone, i don't agree, the old flip lid still works and big deal if it's held together by tape

Found out at the bank that i need an electronic verification something or other or they won't do business with me

Went to my phone company to find out if my phone can do that with a new chip installed

A pimple faced twenty year old customer service provider has a roaring fit of laughter when examining my phone.  Does it even email dude? hahaha What? is that tape? roar roar snicker snicker.  No no don't walk out, come back, oh God I think I peed my pants hahaha.

i am never ever getting a new phone, the bank can stuff it.  Don't listen to those wicked folks precious one, you are beautiful to me

Pretty much the same for me liked the screen on my 7edge but pain in the arse moving it to small screen mode just to use the keyboard quickly with one hand. Qi is good especially if you have a new seat car with the charging pad in the middle

Wireless charging has been out ages now, one of my frustrations with Apple slow to catch up with. 

They have a patent for wireless charging over wifi, probably thought they could skip the pad era all together but taking longer than expected.

No idea how that’s even possible but if they get that working that would be a hugggge feature. Imagine your phone charging when in wifi range. Nuts. 

13 minutes ago, David said:

Just stacked up on Qi pads, £14 a pop for an Anker one on Amazon, picked up 4 ready to scatter around the house.

Make sure they're the fast charging ones the standard wireless ones are painfully slow