Lions 2017

Angry Ram

On 6/26/2017 at 23:45, HantsRam said:

Anything in gatlands suggestion that there was some underhand targeting of Conor Murray? 

Remembering the quite disgraceful spearing of Brian o'driscoll on the last lions tour 12 years ago. Are the All Blacks,  great team though they are, cynically removing perceived threats to their victory. 

Prefer he just gets on with it Hants... swings and roundabouts in rugby mate. Henderson very close to red  card v Hurricanes in my opinion...

The ABs do for sure swing the lead to fine margins, blocking runners... I STILL say the choke tackle is offside once the player is turned and 2nd engagement in the tackle is made. So my answer is for us to get smarter too. Learn from them. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Obvious to everyone....except Gatland. 

Im really not sure about Sexton and Farrell together. In my head it gives Sonny Bill a free reign to charge straight at them and offload to all and sundry. 

The back row will have to stay close to Sexton and help him defend off the set pieces. 

Hopfully Warburton will be more effective around the breakdown. 

Al wyn Jones? To me he looked out on his arse after 20 mins last week, but Gatland knows him well enough I guess.

The French ref will help, and we need the bounce of the ball to go our way. Here's hoping. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Im really not sure about Sexton and Farrell together. In my head it gives Sonny Bill a free reign to charge straight at them and offload to all and sundry. 

The back row will have to stay close to Sexton and help him defend off the set pieces. 

Hopfully Warburton will be more effective around the breakdown. 

Al wyn Jones? To me he looked out on his arse after 20 mins last week, but Gatland knows him well enough I guess.

The French ref will help, and we need the bounce of the ball to go our way. Here's hoping. 

I liken modern Lions tours to this;

You pick a best of UK/ Ireland football team...bring them together in May after a long season in Premier League / FA Cup / Champions League. They have never played together before as an XI or squad... then you pack them off to Spain. 

The very best 18 or so play a three game series v Spain national team... The ones not picked for that game play a series of Wednesday games v Athletico Madrid - Barcelona - Real Madrid etc.... And bizzarely because the team might have Bale or Kane etc in it...you give yourself hope of a series victory.... Its the hope that kills us CWC mate...I swear it... but here we go again with me falling asleep at night with the " just maybe..maybe now Itijeh is in...maybe the Farrell, Sexton axis...maybe we create 7 and score 4 of them...." thoughts rattling around. And yet I know that in truth, any victory on a tour like this is an amazing achievement..and a series win, well thats a true sporting miracle.

10 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I liken modern Lions tours to this;

You pick a best of UK/ Ireland football team...bring them together in May after a long season in Premier League / FA Cup / Champions League. They have never played together before as an XI or squad... then you pack them off to Spain. 

The very best 18 or so play a three game series v Spain national team... The ones not picked for that game play a series of Wednesday games v Athletico Madrid - Barcelona - Real Madrid etc.... And bizzarely because the team might have Bale or Kane etc in it...you give yourself hope of a series victory.... Its the hope that kills us CWC mate...I swear it... but here we go again with me falling asleep at night with the " just maybe..maybe now Itijeh is in...maybe the Farrell, Sexton axis...maybe we create 7 and score 4 of them...." thoughts rattling around. And yet I know that in truth, any victory on a tour like this is an amazing achievement..and a series win, well thats a true sporting miracle.

I blame the Irish. If they'd never beat them last summer, then we wouldn't have so much "hope". 

To keep it competitive is an achievement, to get a win, as you say, nothing short of a miracle. 

Just hope that its not a hammering on Saturday, followed by wholesale changes and a hammering the week after. 

If you can find it online, give Tuesday nights 5 Live show a listen. It was telling the story of the film crew and players on the 97 SA lions tour. 

8 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Prefer he just gets on with it Hants... swings and roundabouts in rugby mate. Henderson very close to red  card v Hurricanes in my opinion...

The ABs do for sure swing the lead to fine margins, blocking runners... I STILL say the choke tackle is offside once the player is turned and 2nd engagement in the tackle is made. So my answer is for us to get smarter too. Learn from them. 

AB's have been cute for decades around the breakdown,  just hovering or getting back onside slowly - the whole range.

Gamesmanship as such is streetwise and something to learn,  appreciate and counter. Taking it to areas which could do serious physical damage is crossing a line for me.

There were some analysts referring to a couple of specific challenges on murrays standing leg -dressed up as attempted blocks which seemed to cause concern. 

I've not seen any of the games on TV so if we're out of line that's fair enough and let's just trust the fears are properly misplaced. 

12 hours ago, HantsRam said:

AB's have been cute for decades around the breakdown,  just hovering or getting back onside slowly - the whole range.

Gamesmanship as such is streetwise and something to learn,  appreciate and counter. Taking it to areas which could do serious physical damage is crossing a line for me.

There were some analysts referring to a couple of specific challenges on murrays standing leg -dressed up as attempted blocks which seemed to cause concern. 

I've not seen any of the games on TV so if we're out of line that's fair enough and let's just trust the fears are properly misplaced. 

I've watched every game and it wasn't something I noted immediately in the first test. Agree though, if they are deliberate in attempting to hurt players ( and they do have previous on this) then Lions right to be cross and concerned. 

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

Immortality awaits... its the kitchen sink and full steam like never before needed. So happy its not going to be a damp nowt week ahead waiting for an inevitable 3-0 drubbing... 

Will help preparation having no midweek game.

Courtney Lawes needs to start for me. 

15 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

uge respect for Reid at full time for not using the red card as an excuse....

They tried their best to get it out of him in the interview, he did all but say it! Big game next weekend now can't wait!

Archived